Where’s Gene?

gdan

Is Gene still producing putters? Website is down and hasn’t posted on his IG for months.

myphed

He had a super rough 2018, all family and health related. He still may be in recovery mode, not sure.

Mr. Doug

Here we go!
Staff member
I texted with him a few months ago, when I was working behind the scenes on the PT reboot. Robb is right, he's still recovering from some health issues. I expect when he's feeling better, he'll be back and active on PT again. He retired last year from his FT job as a NASCAR crew chief.

Quick story about Gene:
2-3 years ago, I was living in Atlanta and I heard that there was a NASCAR race in town that weekend. I shot him a text asking if he'd have time to grab a bite to eat while he was in town. He did me one better, and had pit passes waiting for me and my (at the time) fiance' for Sunday's race. I was figuring it was an obligatory thing, but when we got there, he had a golf cart waiting for us. He proceeded to take us 'behind the scenes' and introduced us to everyone that he knew...which was a LOT of people. Then took us into the closed driver's meeting...then into all the trailers of the top drivers....had us walk with him while they were putting the car through tech inspection...we ate lunch together at the driver's buffet...literally nothing was off-limits. When the race was about to start, he had us sit up on the pit trailer, just behind him. It was absolutely amazing. Once in a lifetime experience.

Gene is salt of the earth. I wish him a speedy recovery.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I texted with him a few months ago, when I was working behind the scenes on the PT reboot. Robb is right, he's still recovering from some health issues. I expect when he's feeling better, he'll be back and active on PT again. He retired last year from his FT job as a NASCAR crew chief.

Quick story about Gene:
2-3 years ago, I was living in Atlanta and I heard that there was a NASCAR race in town that weekend. I shot him a text asking if he'd have time to grab a bite to eat while he was in town. He did me one better, and had pit passes waiting for me and my (at the time) fiance' for Sunday's race. I was figuring it was an obligatory thing, but when we got there, he had a golf cart waiting for us. He proceeded to take us 'behind the scenes' and introduced us to everyone that he knew...which was a LOT of people. Then took us into the closed driver's meeting...then into all the trailers of the top drivers....had us walk with him while they were putting the car through tech inspection...we ate lunch together at the driver's buffet...literally nothing was off-limits. When the race was about to start, he had us sit up on the pit trailer, just behind him. It was absolutely amazing. Once in a lifetime experience.

What a cool experience. What a cool guy. Wishing him all the best......

Maverickping

Quick story about Gene:

You described Gene, perfectly.

Jimbobuc21

If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
Best to him in his recovery... I have a couple of his putters, and am especially proud to have his beautiful copper anser (he always said he wasn't going to build an anser)…
Jimbo :cool:

gdan

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a top notch guy. Hope recovery goes well and he gets back to making putters. I need one of those mini’s.