Updated Family Shot 2019

tsecor

Not sure that this panorama pic will show up correctly here in PT, but nonetheless here's a shot of my Byron family as of 2019. This pic is missing only one of my Byrons - a 615 glass-blast currently being borrowed by my Father-in-law.

Enjoy. Hope this livens the forum a little bit. Any 711s or DH11s out there for sale, let me know. The family always has room for growth!!

FH
what is the one all the way to the right with the light blue paint fill? The lines look very soft on that and it looks like an awesome length heel to toe.......can you describe this one a bit more and maybe post some other pics? view from address possibly? I am trying to decide on a putter and its hard to narrow down which manufacturer I should buy from....this one looks really nice though and may sway me to Byron.....

Jimbobuc21

If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
I believe the one you are asking about is a DH89 with a short flow neck... hope that helps you.
JImbo :cool:

fharbist

Jimbo is right. Carbon DH89 softened with rounded top line and hand-milled face. Byron could make one like that easily with the exception of the dark brown PVD finish (no longer available). But I always believed the 89 would look great in black ox or oil-can.

I am out of town and will try to post a pic or two of it maybe tomorrow. That putter has had multiple owners as noted earlier in this thread, so maybe there are other pics/links to it elsewhere on PT.

tsecor

Thanks....I would definitely do an oil can finish. Trying to pick a model is tough but all I know is I want soft lines and possibly a length that fits in between a mini 89 and a regular 89.... you happy with the feel?

fharbist

what is the one all the way to the right with the light blue paint fill? The lines look very soft on that and it looks like an awesome length heel to toe.......can you describe this one a bit more and maybe post some other pics? view from address possibly? I am trying to decide on a putter and its hard to narrow down which manufacturer I should buy from....this one looks really nice though and may sway me to Byron.....
Sorry for the delay on the pic request here. See below for my two DH89s, incl the carbon requested, from a few angles. Any other questions, let me know. I’m always willing to help sell Byron’s work.

Please note that this putter is standard length heel to toe. I. don’t think you’re going to get any builder to do a “tweener” here. Minis come up from time to time as limited runs, but mostly it’s custom work (softening, radius work on corners, hosels, face milling and stamps) off a standard CNC’ed model. Possible exceptions are Lamont and Lumpy, who might do something from scratch for the $$.

Attachments

fharbist

The feel is great. All of these higher-end customs are certainly excellent sticks (Mills, Bettinardi, etc.), but I personally am partial to Byron's work. Very good balance, solid response on the strike, and easy to putt with confidently. Only the 612 seems to be a little less forgiving and forces you to really put a good stroke on it. Other guys might have similar or different opinions on this of course....

I have dialed the "feel" to my tastes based on choice of material (SS vs carbon steel) and face milling. I'm currently partial to carbon steel and his hand-mill option (about medium depth), but have bounced around on this over the years depending on speed of greens, season of the year, etc., etc. If you play around with them enough (I've had over 20 Byrons through the years and still have 11-12 today), you can get exactly the feel and "click" you want for the conditions you play.

Continued good luck!!

tsecor

ive been trying to lock down my first custom putter and ive narrowed it down to Mills and Byron. I love a few of the mills models and a few of the byrons….such a hard decision. I love the Byron B17 / Bombora line and the Mills soft tails. the one I have circled, I would love to customize in a different finish but on the ordering form online, there are only3 models you can choose from. I wonder if that means you cannot order one of these....the web site is somewhat frustrating.

Attachments

rclarke1

trying to get back on course......
Sorry for the delay on the pic request here. See below for my two DH89s, incl the carbon requested, from a few angles. Any other questions, let me know. I’m always willing to help sell Byron’s work.

Please note that this putter is standard length heel to toe. I. don’t think you’re going to get any builder to do a “tweener” here. Minis come up from time to time as limited runs, but mostly it’s custom work (softening, radius work on corners, hosels, face milling and stamps) off a standard CNC’ed model. Possible exceptions are Lamont and Lumpy, who might do something from scratch for the $$.
I begged Johnny for that dark rum short pipe but I am happier now that you have it! :D

tsecor

I spoke to BM and they actually have a "BETWEENS" model that may work for me. Its part of the B17 bomber line. Just have to pick a finish now....

tsecor

I am in the process of ordering a B17....but I would love to get something similar to one of yours.....id also be interested in a 711 or Dh11.....id soften up some top edges and stamp it up!! woo hoo..... hey @fharbist , what offset do you get on your putters?

fharbist

I usually tell Byron between 1/4 to 1/2 shaft and let him work his magic. All of this fabrication is more art than science in my view, so it helps to give the craftsman some flexibility when you are trying to triangulate head weight, toe hang, loft/lie, offset, look and feel, etc., etc. For me, 1/4 shaft or maybe up to 1/3 shaft is ideal. I also get them with a smooth curve up and away from the head. This delivers a lot of toe hang, which works for me with my (arcing) stroke.

Congrats and good luck. The B-17 is a great shape.

tsecor

The offsets you have are perfect. I can see myself getting addicted to these putters. I already want a 007 and an 89. Thanks

tsecor

do you other pics at address for the other models? I think my eye tends to like a flatter flange and not as much "contrast" between flat surfaces and rounded surfaces next to each other....if that makes sense....I think my brain (eye), like a nice rounded back edge, 1 soft step down to a flatter back flange....the 89's are still beautiful, but my brain an eye seem to focus on the rounded back flange for some reason. I need help :)

fharbist

Welcome to the asylum.

I think what you are talking about - at least for Anser style putters - is the classic debate of rounded bumpers vs. flat bumpers. Scotty Cameron cornered this market with the Newport/Newport 2 options. Ironically, I am more of a NP 2 guy (flat bumpers) even though we have been talking about the DH89 (rounded bumpers) immediately above. In that sense, I agree with you on the look from address. And as evidence the vast majority of my putters are NP2, flat bumper types.

On pics, I have posted individually on most of the putters in the family shot above, so you can check there. Plus others have as well. For example, here's a recent post on a 612 of mine - https://puttertalk.com/community/threads/identify-this-finish.41021/

Then there's the debate on a cleaner look if you move away from the Anser style to something like the B-17..... As well as whether you want more radius on the corners (like the In-Betweens and Secrets versions). Most Anser styles (6xx, 7xx) are pretty square

tsecor

The asylum is a great word because i feel like im going nuts. The 89’s rounded bumpers are an issue for me now. I recently acquired a blade style putter so my options for a 2nd putter started leaning towards an answer style.

Gava

Adam Scott - First Aussie To Win The US Masters
It's been a while since I have taken a stroll through the puttertalk threads. Frank I'm loving your line up! I'm more a flow neck guy when I use a blade so your putters really talk to me. I think the DH89 is a thing of beauty and find myself still torn between the short & long round pipes versus rincon neck. Love the dark rum finish on the carbon too.

fharbist

It's been a while since I have taken a stroll through the puttertalk threads. Frank I'm loving your line up! I'm more a flow neck guy when I use a blade so your putters really talk to me. I think the DH89 is a thing of beauty and find myself still torn between the short & long round pipes versus rincon neck. Love the dark rum finish on the carbon too.
Welcome back, Gav. Hard to beat a great rincon neck...

Missed you at the US Open on the beautiful west coast of the US :)