Uncomfortable putter seems to work?

Hi Gang! Not sure if anyone reads this part of the forum any longer, but thought I’d write this and see if anyone has any input...

In recent years I have mostly used a center shafted putter, but have had shorter periods with an Anser style too. I’m a decent putter and enjoy practicing it, but definitely have room to improve.

My miss, which happens mostly on short putts, is I close the face too much and miss left. This happens more with the Anser, but happens with the center shaft too. I like left to right putts because with them, I’m not afraid of really releasing the head. Right to left putts scare me.

I have a tendency to aim a bit right with my center shaft, but still kind of prefer it over the Anser.

Spent a couple hours in a well stocked shop with a nice putting green the other day and tried everything, hoping to find something that I felt comfortable aiming and didn’t miss left with. Nothing really stood out as better than anything else. Finally, just for kicks, I picked up a heel shafted mallet. This is the one type of putter I have never been able to use, they just feel loose and wobbly through the stroke and I end up trying to manipulate the head. I don’t have a lot of arc in my stroke either, so I’ve never really given them a fair chance because 1. they feel off to me and 2. the Internet says I shouldn’t use a strong arc putter.

This time, I made an effort of not trying to manipulate the head and just use the same setup and stroke I normally do, and you know what? I can both aim and roll it straight.

I couldn’t commit to buying one then and there, but instead borrowed my friends heel shafted mallet and have been practicing with it. It still feels somewhat wobbly, like I can’t put the same stroke on the ball every time. Particularly on short putts I become more tense and can bring the head back in a number of different ways. I quite often miss the sweet spot too. But I have to say, I have been very, very straight with it! Speed control on longer putts is decent, actually on longer putts I’m already quite comfortable with it, but, I still get tense on short putts because the stroke just doesn’t feel stable and repeatable, although I’m actually making a lot of putts and haven’t left the face closed once!

So what do I do? Do I buy a heel shafted putter and start working with it, even though it is not a natural feel for me? Or am I just kidding myself by hoping a putter that feels so strange will work for me on the long run? Plus, have any of you ever been paired with someone that uses a heel shafted putter, that is a good putter? I haven’t, but I guess Phil is pretty good at it. ;-)

Info if you need it: I use a 35” putter, stand fairly tall with shoulders somewhat back, eyes ever so slightly inside the ball, neutral raised hands.

And by the way, in the shop, the newer large mallets with a short slant neck, which I guess would be a logical step for me, I don’t like at all. Super stable, but I’ve always had a hard time with larger mallets that have a bunch of weight far behind the face. Feels like the putter is swinging itself and I get totally lost with distance control. I haven’t had issues with that with the much smaller heel shafted mallet I’ve been trying.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!
M

Yeah I guess you are right. I'm just skeptical right now, but kind of excited at the same time. Just ordered an Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 2.0 that I found online for a good price, so we'll see how it works. :)

bargolf

Regardless of what I or the internet might tell you would fit, you definitely had a shut to block pattern. So without the manipulation you have allowed the heel shaft to swing on a pattern better suited for your set up.

Did you ever use that un-manipulated swing with the Anser?

The inconsistent strike is an indication to me that you went too far. The toe is loose so sometimes closed and sometimes open at impact. But that is something you can control. I think too much toe hang is always better than not enough.

Thanks, I really appreciate the reply!

I don’t think I manipulate my Anser putter, at least not intentionally. For the most part it works just fine, but every now and then I close the face too much and what worries me the most is I don’t always feel it, I just see the ball heading left from off the face. My amateur thinking is that perhaps a plumbers neck has too much offset for me. I tend to feel more comfortable with less offset. But I’ll take it with me to the practice green next time I go.

My new Odyssey #9 should be here Friday, so I’ll bring them all with me and compare. Looking forward to it!

Cheers,
M

bargolf

The key is where do you close it? On the backswing, in transition, or impact.

Offset could certainly be an issue. You might even aim left with too much offset.

Take both putters. Close your eyes and swing to the end of the backswing. Stop and look at the face position. Is the Anser in a different position than the Odyssey?

CourtGolf

Maybe instead of buying a putter that is weighted differently than your gamer - put some lead tape on what you play with and see if the balance makes a difference ?

bargolf said:
The key is where do you close it? On the backswing, in transition, or impact.

Offset could certainly be an issue. You might even aim left with too much offset.

Take both putters. Close your eyes and swing to the end of the backswing. Stop and look at the face position. Is the Anser in a different position than the Odyssey?
Thanks, I'll check that once I get it. Will be interesting to see!

CourtGolf said:
Maybe instead of buying a putter that is weighted differently than your gamer - put some lead tape on what you play with and see if the balance makes a difference ?
You know, I just needed the very slightest of encouragement to order a new putter, which I received in the first reply here, so I already bought one. ;D But thanks for the suggestion though, it makes sense.

//M

jpwb8

To be fair, most of us on this forum need very little encouragement to buy a new putter.

Or an old putter.
Or a stick with a rock attached and the word "putter" written on it.

Kloeshuman

To be fair, most of us on this forum need very little encouragement to buy a new putter.

Or an old putter.
Or a stick with a rock attached and the word "putter" written on it.
Its funny...i aways struggled with putting, i aways perfer a blade over a mallet...tryed all the types and finaly found what works for me. I have a simerler stroke to the OP and i selted on a 2014 Cameron Select Newport 2....never putted better my whole life

Kloeshuman

I still have my ping pal 4 i have to take out, needs a new grip but otherwise good to go. The pal 4 is much different shape. I tried the wilson staff 8802...i pulled everything left..loved the look of it