The Making of Swag Golf

Mr. Doug

Here we go!
Staff member
That seems like a bit of an over explanation but hopefully you understand what I’m getting at.
...and that's EXACTLY why I wanted you guys active on PT. Great explanation, and perfectly stated.

Maybe next time Doug is in town we can do a piece on “milling with a purpose” which is something I’m very adament about.
You know I'll be back. ;)

jtitleist12

Nick @Venno thanks so much for taking the time to reply...that is awesome and is why PT was/is special...you can get answers straight from the source! Congrats on the launch and huge success of the company thus far!

This is a big point for me because like I mentioned above, it seems either CNC programs or post milling polishing/buffing/cleaning up ends up in making the dimensions off. It is really noticeable to my eye on softer putters that have rounded bumpers. It appears that the top side bumper always ends up being over worked and then it doesn't match the heel side from a proportional standpoint.

You know how OCD I am from when I used to order putters from you in the past. To hear your putter is spot on straight from the mill is a huge perk for me. I am definitely interested in seeing a "milling with a purpose" video.

- Josh

cueist

Nick,
Congratulations!!! I didn’t realize that Swag was yours (probably due to the fact that I’m not in the game like I once was). A friend of mine has a bunch of your stuff, and loves it!

Jim

Venno

Swaggolf.com
Nick,
Congratulations!!! I didn’t realize that Swag was yours (probably due to the fact that I’m not in the game like I once was). A friend of mine has a bunch of your stuff, and loves it!

Jim
Thanks Jim! Appreciate it! Glad to see you are still around on the forum!

LionGolfer

Hi Venno,

I've read the articles here about your venture and congrats.

In good faith, may I ask what you feel are the top 3 aspects of Swag (for putters, not head covers and accessories) that stand you apart from other custom makers like Xenon and Mannkrafted for example who pride themselves on a lot of hand work starting with a raw block.... and then you have Lamb which seems to do a lot of CNC precision work (Benock in Japan as well.. really high precision stuff but all CNC and no hand work) with little or no hand work and finally, the big OTR brands like scotty and bettinardi. The brands I mentioned all have their own positioning for me on the putter scale so I guess I'm trying to see where SWAG sits in the putter game.

Again, asked in good faith as I know how these can go badly south online. I'm also trying to acquire a Handsome One as we speak and also find your raw very interesting although for my climate its the last thing I should have...

Thanks in advance.

Venno

Swaggolf.com
1) Thanks for the inquiry and no problem about the questions. The main thing we are focused on is consistency. To be clear, we like the look of hand polishing, but hate the idea that if we were to polish a putter today and say you use it for 3 years, and then you want a replacement it would be nearly impossible to recreate it. The goal with was to put way more time into the programing and machining of the heads to create soft edges and make them appear to be polished by hand without the inconsistencies associated with handwork. I have great respect for those who can polish well and I have personally polished more putters than I care to remember and that exactly why I hated the fact that I could not recreate some subtle lines I had put into my own hand polished gamer EXACTLY the way I had the first time around years earlier. Our end GOAL is to 100% program and cnc soft beautiful organic surfaces into our heads that normally done by hand. Were not there yet but thats what we are working towards, our Savage Too is currently 100% machined with no polishing, but our other models range from around 95-99% no polishing which consists of mere seconds to maybe a minute as opposed to some who spend 10-20 minutes polishing heads or in some cases even hours.

2) The second focus of our brand was to offer something the industry was lacking. A premium product with creative designs, colors, themes, all at prices closer to normal retail offerings. We invested in ourselves by buying CNC machines and paying for premium products to be made to our specifications that are normally not available at these price points.

3) I am not sure we can even be compared to some of the other people/companies you listed. On day one I assembled a team that is unlike anything else currently in the industry. I can only speak from my own experiences and knowledge and I think the eclectic cool one off stuff we do may give the image we are a boutique maker when in fact what really puts us on a different plane than many you have listed is that were positioning ourselves as a major player in the putter market from day one. PGA presence, production runs that are almost always in stock, over 2000 putters sold in our first year and global distribution makes it hard to compare us to a single operator or small boutique putter maker.

T. J.

PUTTERS!? We no need no,,, wait,,, si , we do !!
Staff member
Nick,,,,,,,,,,,

1) What inspired you to use the "skull" like the one you have as an avatar to be sort of your trademark emblem?

2) Is there any putter style you don't foresee making in the near future?

3) And don't mean to put you in the spot , but, what is your pet-peeve about the putter making business ?

Thanks

T.J.

Venno

Swaggolf.com
Nick,,,,,,,,,,,

1) What inspired you to use the "skull" like the one you have as an avatar to be sort of your trademark emblem?

2) Is there any putter style you don't foresee making in the near future?

3) And don't mean to put you in the spot , but, what is your pet-peeve about the putter making business ?

Thanks

T.J.
TJ I will try to keep these simple!

1) I wanted a logo that was something you more than likely would see on a custom or non production offering to help stand out from what the stock offerings that are relatively low key/plain.

2) I don't foresee making any belly or side saddle offerings... other than that I don't think I want to put a limit on anything.

3) I have more than one pet peeve about the putter making business. I think for now I will keep them to myself as I don't want to
show my hand just yet...Having only been selling putters for 13 months now I have a lot itches I still want to scratch!

T. J.

Staff member
TJ I will try to keep these simple!

1) I wanted a logo that was something you more than likely would see on a custom or non production offering to help stand out from what the stock offerings that are relatively low key/plain.

2) I don't foresee making any belly or side saddle offerings... other than that I don't think I want to put a limit on anything.

3) I have more than one pet peeve about the putter making business. I think for now I will keep them to myself as I don't want to
show my hand just yet...Having only been selling putters for 13 months now I have a lot itches I still want to scratch!
Reference #3, my apologies, I did not mean to ask about other makers or try to have you sling mud. I should have explain myself a little.
Maybe I should have said something along the lines of ,,,, Is there anything that you are OCD about your products? For example, I seem to have a strange OCD about paintfill, if I notice a chip or lint or anything on it while playing, when I get home I strip the entire putter and repaint, but I will not game it until it’s repainted.
Love your work, think I know what I will ask the wife for as a retirement gift in two years.
Thank You for your responses.

Venno

Swaggolf.com
Reference #3, my apologies, I did not mean to ask about other makers or try to have you sling mud. I should have explain myself a little.
Maybe I should have said something along the lines of ,,,, Is there anything that you are OCD about your products? For example, I seem to have a strange OCD about paintfill, if I notice a chip or lint or anything on it while playing, when I get home I strip the entire putter and repaint, but I will not game it until it’s repainted.
Love your work, think I know what I will ask the wife for as a retirement gift in two years.
Thank You for your responses.
Sorry I think you misunderstood me! I do not want to sling mud, what I am saying is my biggest pet peeves are about the industry and how putters are made. I don't want to get into details and tip off what those things are and how I plan to change that.

T. J.

Staff member
Sorry I think you misunderstood me! I do not want to sling mud, what I am saying is my biggest pet peeves are about the industry and how putters are made. I don't want to get into details and tip off what those things are and how I plan to change that.
Its going to be fun seeing how your going to change things even more than you have ready,,,