The Grinch will need a new name, REFINISH in process

mattsam

My 4 little ladies
Every has seen the "grinch" refinish thread. I though you might want to know what it has been going through.

Its transformed.

The Grinch name is no longer, the PVD finish has been removed. I purchased the putter and frankly never saw it, sent it in for some custom work (aftermarket).

Well the putter is being Satin Nickel plated as we speak!! I'm very excited how it has turned out so far. It also got a little addition

Tell me what you think

Attachments

indyvai

MAS Golf Design
That's kinda sad... if you were gonna do aftermarket, you should have grabbed an OTR for that... would have saved a bit of money and not destroyed a 1/1 finish...

Ouch!

mattsam

My 4 little ladies
Why would I worry about a OTR? This one cost me about the same. I'm not worried about resale. A hex on a Bettinardi doesn't change the quality of the putter in a significant way.

indyvai

MAS Golf Design
mattsam said:
Why would I worry about a OTR? This one cost me about the same. I'm not worried about resale. A hex on a Bettinardi doesn't change the quality of the putter in a significant way.
Never said you had to worry about anything. Just that you took a 1/1 prototype and destroyed it. That's all... and it's sad to see someone else's work under appreciated and tossed like trash. Hey... you bought it, and you can do whatever you want to it... I have no problem with that. But if you post photos of a car accident... expect people to be a bit grossed out by the carnage...

I can hear Glenn now "Thats no bastard child of mine" :eek:

I'm not sure about the quality of the Satin Nickel finish but, that weld is f-ing pants & big ones at that :(

The reason Betti's are so appreciated is the quality and sadly that particular putter is no more a Betti :'(

My own thoughts,

Its not right but its yours so do what you like with it, the Grinch had a low value but I don't think that it deserved the second class work that seems to have been done to it. :'(

Please don't paint work it back up as Bettinardi though, it'll reflect badly on all the non-bastardised ones.

Regards
A very sorry T

MarkCuranovic

This putter barely sold for half its original value no?
The finish, while nice to me, was hated by others... original or not
Hard for me to tell if the aftermarket work is "clean" I'm on a cell phone... but if your happy, I'm happy...

Might be happy enough to trade you for a chubby actually...

The Grinch is dead!

pcirelli

Putter Head #0245
I feel like I'm on the "other site" with all of the naysayers re: aftermarket work. It's a putter...yes, a putter. Does the finish really matter? Did I mention...this is a putter? I don't necessarily agree with makeover, but it's not my money...and it's a putter!!! It's not like he changed the cure for cancer and can't "undo".
-Pete

PS For the record, I love the way the putter looked originally.

indyvai

MAS Golf Design
pcirelli said:
I feel like I'm on the "other site" with all of the naysayers re: aftermarket work.
Really? Nobody said anything about aftermarket work being bad... some of us, and I think you are included... would think twice about doing something to something rare... no?

Z3R013

Who's doing the work on it? I thought it was really hard to remove a pvd finish? I liked it before but it's your putter and I think it will turn out good. I hope it makes lots of putts for you!

pcirelli

Putter Head #0245
indyvai said:
pcirelli said:
I feel like I'm on the "other site" with all of the naysayers re: aftermarket work.
Really? Nobody said anything about aftermarket work being bad... some of us, and I think you are included... would think twice about doing something to something rare... no?
Yes, you're correct that nobody said that aftermarket work is bad...but it has been remarked a couple of times that the aftermarket work on this putter is clearly frowned upon. Also, please not my "PS".
-Pete

pcirelli said:
PS For the record, I love the way the putter looked originally.

mattsam

My 4 little ladies
Z3R013 said:
Who's doing the work on it? I thought it was really hard to remove a pvd finish? I liked it before but it's your putter and I think it will turn out good. I hope it makes lots of putts for you!
Yep, really hard to remove. For the guys worried about defacing a 1 of 1 finish, I don't like dark putters. The finish on the bottom showed wear, which shouldn't have shown so early. The putter sold for nothing over and over, so I grabbed it and sent it to one of the better aftermarket guys to make it like I want.

MarkCuranovic

the-golf-tee-junction said:
I can hear Glenn now "Thats no bastard child of mine" :eek:

I'm not sure about the quality of the Satin Nickel finish but, that weld is f-ing pants & big ones at that :(

The reason Betti's are so appreciated is the quality and sadly that particular putter is no more a Betti :'(

My own thoughts,

Its not right but its yours so do what you like with it, the Grinch had a low value but I don't think that it deserved the second class work that seems to have been done to it. :'(

Please don't paint work it back up as Bettinardi though, it'll reflect badly on all the non-bastardised ones.

Regards
A very sorry T
calling the stick a bastard, or illegitimate child, does count as aftermarket work being called bad... the weld has also been referred to as "f---ing pants", and my English sucks, but im sure that means that the quality of the aftermarket work sucks too

indyvai

MAS Golf Design
mattsam said:
For the guys worried about defacing a 1 of 1 finish, I don't like dark putters.
It's called taste... you post the thread in the Bettinardi section... you are not going to find many people that give you a high five for aftermarket work. I think the same would be for any manufacturer specific sections btw. Do what you want, but don't flaunt it to the people who respect and appreciate the original work...

mattsam

My 4 little ladies
indyvai said:
mattsam said:
For the guys worried about defacing a 1 of 1 finish, I don't like dark putters.
It's called taste... you post the thread in the Bettinardi section... you are not going to find many people that give you a high five for aftermarket work. I think the same would be for any manufacturer specific sections btw. Do what you want, but don't flaunt it to the people who respect and appreciate the original work...
No offense to the people who made this putter originally, but NO one liked it!!
I've have plenty of original betts, and I wanted a hmm with plumbers neck, they don't come up for sale. So I made one, no worse than a welded bettinardi one to my specs. Got rid of a junk finish. Get out of here saying it has no taste. Why would anyone worry about how it's done? Just worry about how well it's done. And because I've had half dozen people pm me about who did it and they want one means something right was done.

indyvai

MAS Golf Design
mattsam said:
Get out of here saying it has no taste.
I was referring to you posting in the Bettinardi section... so it would be you that was tasteless... not the putter.

And not to burst your bubble... but that weld sucks... so if people are singing praise... send them his way...

And to clarify... the reason nobody kept the grinch was more to do with the head weight, and less to do with the finish...

pcirelli

Putter Head #0245
indyvai said:
mattsam said:
I was referring to you posting in the Bettinardi section... so it would be you that was tasteless... not the putter.

And not to burst your bubble... but that weld sucks... so if people are singing praise... send them his way...

And to clarify... the reason nobody kept the grinch was more to do with the head weight, and less to do with the finish...
If it didn't sound like the other website earlier, then it sure does now. Congrats!
-Pete

indyvai

MAS Golf Design
pcirelli said:
indyvai said:
mattsam said:

If it didn't sound like the other website earlier, then it sure does now. Congrats!
-Pete
Please explain...