Putter Shafts - Do they really make a difference?

bargolf

I have some putters with pencil shafts and will be looking for this. Really something I never thought of before. Would you think it might be a mental concept, as the shaft is more delicate in appearance?
Hi Richard,
Hope you are well. I would say that the influence of perception is entirely possible. But there is something to the feel while in motion. If you yank a putter away at the takeaway with a pencil shaft you can feel the difference. also you can feel the shaft absorb the hit. Back in the Swan Lake days we had identical heads with identical weight shafts of different flex. We asked our resort guests to describe the feel between the two. In over 90% of the trials they thought the putter with the softer shaft was heavier. I guess at the end of the day it is all perception.
Bruce

Maverickping

Thanks Bruce. I tried what you've suggested, there is a difference in the feel. Funny, I never really payed attention to it before. I tried two putters, identical head weights and the feel (though both felt smooth) the pencil shafted putter felt like the head felt heavier in the take away to impact.
Even though there is a difference as I've since learned, they both perform equally. It might (likely) be my own perception of the pencil shaft being more delicate in appearance.
Thanks Bruce, something I would never have known.

MattM97

Any chance the UST Frequency Filtered putter shaft can be reviewed or anyone have experience with one?

I'm thinking about pulling the shaft on my Bettinardi Studio Series and installing one for a trail.

JCL

Any chance the UST Frequency Filtered putter shaft can be reviewed or anyone have experience with one?

I'm thinking about pulling the shaft on my Bettinardi Studio Series and installing one for a trail.
I have one in a Byron TCB mini that I could probably compare with the other one I have with a normal shaft.

John

MattM97

I have one in a Byron TCB mini that I could probably compare with the other one I have with a normal shaft.

John
If you could do a mini review of one that would be great. I'm curious about it and if I could benefit from one.