Public Service Announcement😀

bargolf

A very common problem I see in many putting strokes is the player who basically leads with the handle and drags the putterhead into impact. This leads to a push miss and a flip fix. The first thing to consider is the head weight of the putter and if it it too heavy. More often than not this stroke phenomenon is a function of player reaction to the putter. The putter matters!

TLouko

Woodhead Member No. 1962
Bruce-do you think this phenomenon is more common today (many 350g+ putter heads) than say, a generation ago where putters were in the 310-320g range, i.e., original Ping Anser? Personally, my stroke is much more consistent with a “light” putter.

JunkerJorge

A very common problem I see in many putting strokes is the player who basically leads with the handle and drags the putterhead into impact. This leads to a push miss and a flip fix. The first thing to consider is the head weight of the putter and if it it too heavy. More often than not this stroke phenomenon is a function of player reaction to the putter. The putter matters!
A particular putting guru’s book got me here long ago.

Oneputt

Bruce-do you think this phenomenon is more common today (many 350g+ putter heads) than say, a generation ago where putters were in the 310-320g range, i.e., original Ping Anser? Personally, my stroke is much more consistent with a “light” putter.
I seem to putt best with a 36" putter and head that weighs approximately 320 grams .
I can putt o.k. with a 330 gram head, but for that weight the length of the putter needs to be about 35".

Oneputt

Bruce, I don't know where you're going with this but for about 20 years now I've been saying that putter heads have become too heavy.
I have no stats at all to back this up, only my observation that players seemed to roll that ball better and make more putts when the average putter head weight out there was in the 310 to 320 gram range. I think the Bullseye's, 8802's. all of Karsten Solheim's 60's-70's-80's era putters etc.... were in the 305 to 320 gram head weight range.

bargolf

Absolutely. There is a particular OEM putter that swings E9 at 34 inches. Every player I have encountered with that putter drags the head. When we counter weight to gain some release control we end up over 600 grams. Try a down hill right to left on a reasonably fast green with that combination.