Protection From Putter Rust

jrsharp21

The description on the website doesn't say anything about breaking free stuck parts.

"Silicon lube - Its double strength so gets the job done. It contains 25% silicon whereas most lubricants contain between 3 and 7%.

Blaster's super concentrated Silicon Lube provides the ultimate in lubrication and protection in the heaviest industrial applications. Silicone Lube completely eliminates the sticking, binding and squeaking caused by constant friction, thus extending the life of metal, plastic, wood rubber, vinyl leather and more.

A double edged plastic blade which is angled so that it can get under vinyl on virtually all surfaces. It will save your finger nails and will not scratch automotive paints or other surfaces. A whole new concept in vinyl removal."

Also some of the ingredients listed on the MSDS are similiar to the CRC product. One thing I did notice on the CRC ingredients was that it had liquified petroleum gas. The Blaster product didn't have this or a similiar CAS registry number. I am going to go check out the can after work since it is on my way home to see if it has any mention of breaking free stuck parts. I know that it didn't have any warnings about not using o paint. I checked for that this morning.

jr

Administrator
Staff member
Personal experience and opinion: WD40 is a petroleum based lubricant that is used not only to "protect" metal but to break free parts that are stuck together. This may cause the paint fill on a putter to be loosened and to come off. Also, petroleum based products may react with the chemicals and fertilizers your putter come in contact with on the golf course and cause spotting or pitting to occur on your putter. These are the reasons I suggest the products reference and pictured in the first post of this thread.

sandbagger

Lizard Stix
Might have posted this before....can't find where, so my recommendation would be Birchwood-Casey Barricade.

Barricade is the ideal protection for all bare metal or finished metal parts, including tooling, fixturing, dies, toolholders, milling cutters, sprockets -- virtually any metal part subject to corrosion, according to Mark Ruhland, vice president of Birchwood Casey. It meets Mil-C-16173D, Grade 3 water displacement test and Mil-C-22235A stain test for non-ferrous metals. It also provides up to 1000 hours humidity protection (ASTM D1748).

Barricade is compatible with all lubricants, hydraulic oils, and cutting oils. It contains no barium or silicone. With only a mild, solvent odor, the product is harmless to plastics, paints and synthetic rubbers and easy for operators to use

jr

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of links regarding the above Birchwood Casey Barricade product:
http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/news/9588.html
http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/maintenance_index.asp?categoryID=2&subcat=3&prodcat=75

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0059450290684a.shtml

SoonerChris

Oh Yeah!
jr said:
I have had many people ask what I use to protect steel putters, be it carbon or stainless. There is only one product I can recommend, and no it is not baby oil. It is a product from CRC and is a silicone spray. It is Electrical Grade, Multi Purpose Silicone, Lubricates, Waterproofs, & Protects With A Thin, Clear, Non-Staining Film, For Metal & Non-Metal Surfaces. It is a food grade silicone spray. It is non oily, it does not loosen paint, it is dry in a few seconds, it does not react with fertilizers or other chemicals you encounter on putting greens, it does not smell, etc. Yes there are other similar products out there but many have qualities that I do not like and which I think can cause problems.

You can order it through this link.

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-13365/Detail

Another product you can keep in your golf bag is Birchwood Casey Gun & Reel silicone cloth.

It can be purchased here.
http://tinyurl.com/ypsyxk
This is the best option for 3x Black Oxide, correct? As in the new Betti Studio Stock line.

drewspin

SoonerChris said:
jr said:
I have had many people ask what I use to protect steel putters, be it carbon or stainless. There is only one product I can recommend, and no it is not baby oil. It is a product from CRC and is a silicone spray. It is Electrical Grade, Multi Purpose Silicone, Lubricates, Waterproofs, & Protects With A Thin, Clear, Non-Staining Film, For Metal & Non-Metal Surfaces. It is a food grade silicone spray. It is non oily, it does not loosen paint, it is dry in a few seconds, it does not react with fertilizers or other chemicals you encounter on putting greens, it does not smell, etc. Yes there are other similar products out there but many have qualities that I do not like and which I think can cause problems.

Another product you can keep in your golf bag is Birchwood Casey Gun & Reel silicone cloth.

This is the best option for 3x Black Oxide, correct? As in the new Betti Studio Stock line.
IMHO: Use Eezox first, then use a silicone cloth.

B

BOSGolf

:) Thanks for posting that time on preventative rust treatment. I will check it out and recommend it to whomever calls in and asks as well.

scottland

Ok, I need to clear up some mis-conceptions here.

If you read the MSDs from the CRC website, their Electrical Grade Silicone spray contains 60-70% Hexane. Hexane one of the primary constitutes of gasoline, and is refined from crude oil. Very much a petroleum product, and it is 60-70% of what is contained in our beloved CRC silcone spray.

The CRC contains 2-5% of Dimethylpolysiloxane. Which is the silicone component. Beyond that, it contains 25-35% of liquefied petroleum gas.

All this means the CRC is around 90-95% Petroleum product, and only 2-5% Silicone.

The Blaster Silicone spray is 5-15% dimethylpolysiloxane, and the rest is Petroleum. Sounds like a good purchase to me, considering it has a lot more silicone, and a lot less petroleum product.

Tomba

Thinking of getting my Byron refinished in a Matt Black Oxide. Will putting either this Silicone or Eezox make it lose its Matte finish and go shiny?

drewspin

Tomba said:
Thinking of getting my Byron refinished in a Matt Black Oxide. Will putting either this Silicone or Eezox make it lose its Matte finish and go shiny?
The eezox will not change the matte finish.

garygibbs9

"Never up, never in." T. Woods
When I noticed the original link was to a True Value store, I went to the one nearest me thinking I would score. Wrong! The only CRC product they carried was engine degreaser. Even I was smart enough to know that wasn't gonna get it done. Ordered two cans of the right stuff online. Should have by the beginning of next week. Thanks for the tip!

S

solarpop

SoonerChris said:
jr said:

I recently received a Betti Studio Stock 2F as a birthday present, which is how i ended up looking at this thread. Great stuff so far..

I've read from other sources that sewing oil will give black oxide a really nice deep purple hue, and i was wondering if it was possible to use the oil first, then coat it with the silicone spray to seal in the oil/colour? If it works i can get the best of both worlds.. looks and protection!

jr

Administrator
Staff member
The silicone spray does not provide a seal, at least not something that is lasting. Coatings like silicone or oil will wear off. If you want a more permanent seal you need to have a plating applied. Also, I do not think that putting oil on a putter will add color but instead it is like putting a coat of wax on something or even getting a dry surface wet; it enhances the existing color.

dwcheung

I hope people are still reading this. After playing my dbcm, I decided to oil it with some eezox. When I decided to wipe off some excess oil on the face, the red paintfill on the face where it says "m/p 14 of 25" showed on the tissue I was using. The paint is still on the face but should I have not used eezox on this putter?