Protection From Putter Rust

jr

Administrator
Staff member
I have had many people ask what I use to protect steel putters, be it carbon or stainless. There is only one product I can recommend, and no it is not baby oil. It is a product from CRC and is a silicone spray. It is Electrical Grade, Multi Purpose Silicone, Lubricates, Waterproofs, & Protects With A Thin, Clear, Non-Staining Film, For Metal & Non-Metal Surfaces. It is a food grade silicone spray. It is non oily, it does not loosen paint, it is dry in a few seconds, it does not react with fertilizers or other chemicals you encounter on putting greens, it does not smell, etc. Yes there are other similar products out there but many have qualities that I do not like and which I think can cause problems.

You can order it through this link.

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-13365/Detail

Another product you can keep in your golf bag is Birchwood Casey Gun & Reel silicone cloth.

It can be purchased here.
http://tinyurl.com/ypsyxk

jr

Administrator
Staff member
After I play a round of golf and go home, I run the putter under really hot water, as hot as I can get it. I then towel dry it. The metal is still hot from the water and it helps dry any remaining moisture. I then spray the head and put it in a head cover. If the course that was played was wet or damp I do not use the head cover I used on the course until it has had a chance to dry.

smitty

Administrator
Staff member
If you remember John... bring me a can in March.
I can't find anything remotely like that in my area.

I'll pay double the sticker price... :)

localfitch

Plastic Thomas Riker
jr said:
Another product you can keep in your golf bag is Birchwood Casey Gun & Reel silicone cloth.

It can be purchased here.
http://tinyurl.com/ypsyxk
I trust my whole collection to those things... very good product.

jhoops01

I use the same material. It works great! It's available here locally (FL) at either Home Depot or Lowe's.

Joe

B

big ben

I found a reallu nice Gun and Reel cloth at Walmart; Mossy Oak Gun and Reel Silicone Cloth. Cheap too; something like $4 bucks. Do you feel the spray is superior because I will order it tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

jr

Administrator
Staff member
I have found that some silicone cloths for use with guns and reels have some oil in them also. If it smells like oil at all I would not use it. The spray is easy to handle and there is no need to take a rag in and out of a bag and manually rub it on a putter.

F

Funkey

Do you spray it on the putter and just leave it? I have been spraying it on and using a cloth to wipe it off. Then I put a head cover on the putter. Is this wrong?

T. J.

PUTTERS!? We no need no,,, wait,,, si , we do !!
Staff member
big ben said:
I found a reallu nice Gun and Reel cloth at Walmart; Mossy Oak Gun and Reel Silicone Cloth. Cheap too; something like $4 bucks. Do you feel the spray is superior because I will order it tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.
Thats what I bought 6 months ago! not one spec of rust on my oil can! great stuff, and you get a huge cloth for the money too.

TJ

B

big ben

Yes it is; something like 17x17, seems to work very well to me.

Maverickping

I wish I had of known of this post earlier. I bought a can of 3 in 1 oil and so far it is working fine.Hopefully I made the right choice.

Richard

jr

Administrator
Staff member
It is my opinion that anything with oil or any kind of petroleum product in it is not good to use on a putter you will be using and is questionable for display putters.

Chemical reactions take place between petroleum products and many fertilizers and chemical's. That is why people make bombs using these elements. When you have an oil base product on your putter, like WD-40, 3 in 1 oil, etc., it helps the fertilizer and chemical's stick to your putter. Those fertilizers and chemical's will eat off the finish of the putter. The finish is there to protect the bare metal from the elements, hence prevent rust. Once the finish is gone you will get rust. Stainless will also rust. It is called stainLESS and not stainNOT for a reason. The oil also will coat the inside of your head covers and the fertilizers and chemical's will then remain inside your headcover.

Also, many products like WD-40 have penetrating properties. The product was designed to loosen material that is stuck to metal. When a nut is stuck on a bolt you spray these products on them to free up the two parts. It is designed to break away any foreign substance on the surface of the metal: like paint fill, etc. So when you use WD-40 or another oil based lubricant, including silicone, that was designed to break apart stuck parts, you are asking for problems.

M

moecat01

From the same company (CRC Industries), this stuff seems to work well, too:
http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=05174&S=Y

jr

Administrator
Staff member
A concern is the warning not to use it on paint.

"Not for use as an appearance cleaner or on paint."

M

moecat01

jr said:
A concern is the warning not to use it on paint.

"Not for use as an appearance cleaner or on paint."
Very valid point. I've applied liberal amounts to carbon heads and have *not* had issues with paint fill smearing.

dmares

Darn, I bought the wrong one. I just remembered the name CRC & the red plugs. Guess who is going back to Home Depot?

MrNewport

E-3 Sentry AWACS---------Cougar
Funkey said:
Do you spray it on the putter and just leave it? I have been spraying it on and using a cloth to wipe it off. Then I put a head cover on the putter. Is this wrong?
John,

can you answer this one my friend? I do the same thing, spray on (heavily) then wipe off. I read your earlier post....hot water etc and will do that from now on. Just curious on your thoughts about wiping it off.

Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate your help on this.

Glen

M

moecat01

MrNewport said:
Funkey said:
John,

can you answer this one my friend? I do the same thing, spray on (heavily) then wipe off. I read your earlier post....hot water etc and will do that from now on. Just curious on your thoughts about wiping it off.

Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate your help on this.

Glen
Glen, I've recently moved to a place where the storage closets are not as well "sealed off" compared to the last place I lived.

(1) I spray on a healthy amount, then wipe off
(2) I then spray once more, don't wipe off, then put on the cover.

This has served me well so far.