Ping Scottsdale Anser Remake, Steve Elkington Commemorative 1995 PGA Winner.

FrankenScotty

G'day,
I was wondering if anyone has any information on this putter? The few lines in the Detetco booklet is all that I can find,
Were they issued with a shaftband or not?
This one doesn't have one, but the rest of the putter is perfect, so it seems strange that one wouldn't be there, when everything else is. It has barely begun to tarnish,
Any info on this putter would be greatly appreciated, cheers Steve.

IMG_0101.jpgIMG_0100.jpgIMG_0111.jpgIMG_0104.jpgIMG_0107.jpgIMG_0110.jpgIMG_0105.jpgIMG_0109.jpg

Oneputt

G'day,
I was wondering if anyone has any information on this putter? The few lines in the Detetco booklet is all that I can find,
Were they issued with a shaftband or not?
This one doesn't have one, but the rest of the putter is perfect, so it seems strange that one wouldn't be there, when everything else is. It has barely begun to tarnish,
Any info on this putter would be greatly appreciated, cheers Steve.

View attachment 108388View attachment 108389View attachment 108390View attachment 108391View attachment 108395View attachment 108396View attachment 108397View attachment 108398
copied and pasted from Facebook:

The Ping Anser Scottsdale 1994-95 limited edition reproduction putter. When I say limited I use that loosely. It was said that Karsten Solheim made 22,000 of these. Some were made with rocker soles and some with flat soles. They were casted with the original mold with the same material, magnesium bronze. These putters are made with great quality and sometimes mistaken with an untrained eye, for the real deal which was made in 1966. The serial # on the reproduction was on the hosel numbering 1 through 22,000. A few of these were personally hand ground by Alan and John Solheim which was easy to identify by the serial number ending with “J” or “A”. This would be cool to have in any putter collection. These have also played in many PGA Tour events, proven as well! Payne Stewart won the 1995 Shells Houston Open with it. His hosel serial # was 47. Now that’s some cool history right there!!!Best way to know how to identify these from the 1966 Scottsdale is by the text in the cavity. The 1966 had patent numbers on top in the cavity and “OTHER PAT. PEND.” on the bottom of the text in the cavity. I have owned a good hand full of these Limited Editions and a good handful of the original 1966 Anser’s and I can tell you, I felt no difference. So if you want a great Ping Anser done in a Scottsdale mold pick one of these LE up and give it a roll. You will truly have a classic that’s over 20 years old

FrankenScotty

Yeah thanks One Putt,
I think that article is referring to the 30th Anniversary remake, which is the one in the internet pics below, thank you for your input, cheers Steve.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1601.jpgs-l1602.jpg

FrankenScotty

I received a bit of information on this putter from a gentleman from Karsten Manufacturing History Services,
I hope that he doesn't mind me quoting him,----------------------------------------------

"Hello Steve,

The standard shaft for the Scottsdale Anser at that time was a stepped shaft. In regards to a shaft band being standard, we do not have one of the Elkington putters in our archive so I don’t actually have a putter to check. Shaft bands are generally placed on all putters, including limited edition models.

The Steve Elkington putter is a bit different in that those putters were a special order by his home club at the time of his PGA victory, not a PING limited edition. I don’t know how many were made or ordered with the special etching on the sole. I believe that is the only custom feature of that special order of Scottsdale Anser putters. My best guess is that possibly, because of the need for the putters to go to the etching department, somehow the “attaching the shaft label step” in preparing the putters for shipping was missed. I have seen photos of another one of these putters online that does not have a shaft label. However I have also seen photos of an Elkington Anser that was in an online auction. It looked to have a shaft label so it is possible that some of the putters got the label and some did not. It may be that Steve’s club placed a follow-up order for more putters.

I apologize for not having a better answer to your question. I will try to find a definitive answer but at this point we may be at the mercy of some of our other longtime employees. I will let you know what I find out.

Thank you very much for your inquiry."

He followed it up with this as well,-----------------------------------------------------------------

"I think the Elkington putter is a good one to have as I really don’t think there were very many ordered. One thing I forgot to mention about the labels is at that time we did print our own shaft labels here at the plant. Sometimes the label don’t stick as well as they should so it is possible the label was loose and went by the wayside.

If I do find out more about the Elkington Ansers I will pass it on to you.

Thanks for being a PING person. We all here really do appreciate it very much."