Ping Answer Putter

Butch

I’ve read thru the Thread that talks about the Scottsdale Ping Anser Putters and tells of the addresses used and all patent numbers used back in 1966. I have a Ping Answer with a Phoenix address, but it only has Patented with no patent numbers showing. Could this be counterfeit or were there Ping Putters produced after the move to Phoenix that did not show patent numbers?6FA3C424-F507-4551-9A5A-94E333463A61.jpeg

Butch

Thanks,
I did find an article that says the patent number didn’t show up on the Anser putter until mid 1967 when they moved to Phoenix. It seems weird though, that same article stated that is also when they started using Karsten Manufacturing name. So this putter appears to have been manufactured right in the middle of moving from Scottsdale, changing the name to Karsten and just before the patent number was actually placed on the club. The last thing weird on this club, Arizona is completely spelled out, where every other picture of an Anser putter I see, they all use ARIZ. I’m going to send this to Ping to refurbish, I just don’t want to send them a counterfeit one.
I really appreciate your response...

FrankenScotty

As One Putt says Butch, your Anser is not a fake,
It is, to my thoughts anyway, a mid 85068 era Anser.
According to the Detetco Anser booklet (with a little deciphering), there were four versions of the 85068 Anser,
The D207227 original Anser patent number was issued on March 21 1967 and was for a term of fourteen years.
This would cover the Anser's made after the move to Phoenix, starting with the KARSTEN CO, Dalehead, the early 85029's (after the shape change), the 85020 years, and then into the 85068 era, when the patent number change occurred,
There was a bit of toing and froing with Karsten's application for a new patent, when the D207227 one ran out, with a couple of years gap before the new patent number was finally issued on July 9th 1985, and was from then on, the 4,527,799 patent number used on Anser's produced after that.
I reckon, that the PATENTED version was produced in that gap, between the ending of the D207227, and the introduction of the new 4,527,799 patents, as they couldn't use the new number, as it hadn't been assigned yet, but had been approved (again my thoughts only),
So I would guess that your Anser is an early 1980's model. Also, all of the 85068 versions have ARIZONA spelt in full in the cavity,
Here are a couple of pics, the 85068 D207227, and a pair of 85068 PATENTED versions, the investment casting wasn't the best on one of them, but they are exactly the same heads,
This is just my analogy, hope it helps, cheers Steve.

IMG_0091.jpgIMG_0090.jpg

Butch

Yep, I think you nailed it... I did not know there was the gap in the patents.
The pictures were perfect. Thanks so much.
Cheers

C Lockerd

I have this putter. Just like the one pictured. I thought I got it from my dad when I was in Highschool which I graduated in 1969. I must be remembering wrong. I must have gotten it from him after he moved to Arkansas in the early 80s. I do remember that I had an old sears putter in Highschool, but thought I got dads before leaving for collage. Just bad memory I suppose.

FrankenScotty

I am glad these pictures have brought back great memories for you Mate,
And, welcome to Puttertalk as well, cheers Steve.