Need to replace shaft on Ping 1A

Yumseyo

Hi All !, Can anyone advise me on how to replace the shaft on a Ping 1A. Is it just heat up the old shaft, twist and remove? It has a 1/8" wear thru the chrome. I did one on my Ping Zing 2 and that was pretty straight forward.. and what size shaft will it take..?

FrankenScotty

No Guts, No Glory!!
Yumseyo,
Is your putter a Redwood City 1A, or a Scottsdale 1A, or even a Phoenix 1A, or,
Is it the Phoenix later version, which is the 1-A? That is 1 dash A.
Pictures always help with any questions.
If you wish to change the shaft, you would hope that it is the 1-A,
You shouldn't really change the shaft in the others, for collectability, and the difficulty of dislodging the ball bearing inside the shaft.

FrankenScotty

No Guts, No Glory!!
Try giving it a bit of heat, I just use a hand held propane blow torch, and work the head from side to side after heating it a bit, with a Glove on!!
It might just be put on with epoxy. If it won't let go, then it may have the ball bearing holding it on, like the earlier models do. Good luck!

Yumseyo

Try giving it a bit of heat, I just use a hand held propane blow torch, and work the head from side to side after heating it a bit, with a Glove on!!
It might just be put on with epoxy. If it won't let go, then it may have the ball bearing holding it on, like the earlier models do. Good luck!
Thanks Steve, is the model I bought worth anything? I need to find some info on it. It's a ping 1-A. Karsten Mfg Corp, Box 9990, US Pat 3042405 Phoenix Arizona 85068. Looks like original grip and has shaft label. I will post pics after I get it..

FrankenScotty

No Guts, No Glory!!
The earlier versions would be worth more I would think, The 1-A was the last type produced, to my knowledge, apart from anniversary editions.

Yumseyo

The earlier versions would be worth more I would think, The 1-A was the last type produced, to my knowledge, apart from anniversary editions.
Just spoke to PING and from my specs, they estimate it was made around 1973. I was considering on having them replace the shaft and polish and tumble the head. I even get a new ping grip ! They will even cut to my desired length ! All for 45.00 !! plus shipping of 15.00.. I was thinking on just cutting the shaft off the head and save on shipping to PING.. Since its not one of the originals, I'd make it a real good looking "gamer" Your thoughts are appreciated...

FrankenScotty

No Guts, No Glory!!
If you don't want to keep the shaft, then cut it off at least four inches back from the head (give them something to play with if needed),
I don't know where you live, but that seems a great price for the experts to do the job,
I am in Australia, and a few years ago (maybe eight), I took a Scottsdale Kushin head up to Sydney, to the Ping Distribution Centre, There was a Gary Player Cushin there as well, with the shaft cut about four inches up from the head, both putters were sent back to Phoenix, as the guys said that pulling the older heads (with the ball bearing), was all done back at Phoenix.

After six weeks or so, I received a phone call that my putter was back. I don't remember exactly, but I am fairly sure that my bill was AUD$65,
That was for a new True Temper shaft, new Ping grip, new shaftband, and a lie angle adjustment. Which also included the two trips across the Pacific, to Phoenix and back,

A few years after that, they did a reshaft on an Anser (85068) for me as well, this may have been done in Sydney though, not sure, cheers Steve.

Yumseyo

If you don't want to keep the shaft, then cut it off at least four inches back from the head (give them something to play with if needed),
I don't know where you live, but that seems a great price for the experts to do the job,
I am in Australia, and a few years ago (maybe eight), I took a Scottsdale Kushin head up to Sydney, to the Ping Distribution Centre, There was a Gary Player Cushin there as well, with the shaft cut about four inches up from the head, both putters were sent back to Phoenix, as the guys said that pulling the older heads (with the ball bearing), was all done back at Phoenix.

After six weeks or so, I received a phone call that my putter was back. I don't remember exactly, but I am fairly sure that my bill was AUD$65,
That was for a new True Temper shaft, new Ping grip, new shaftband, and a lie angle adjustment. Which also included the two trips across the Pacific, to Phoenix and back,

A few years after that, they did a reshaft on an Anser (85068) for me as well, this may have been done in Sydney though, not sure, cheers Steve.
Steve, as always, thanks for your input. I think I will send it to ping. The shaft that is on it now has a 1/8 inch wear thru the surface of the chrome. I will let you know how it comes out...

Yumseyo

Steve, what do you think, should I refurbish it or leave it. I bid 75.00 on it and won. It seems to have a really old style grip on it.

Attachments

Yumseyo

Leave it as is. Original condition is better in this case IMHO
Thanks rclark1! I just found a NEW 1-A, or at least they said it was new. For 100.00. Does anyone know if they are making copies or remakes of the 1-A. It has the same PO box zip and patent number..

FrankenScotty

No Guts, No Glory!!
Of course mate, the decision is up to you,
What I would probably do, only my opinion though is, get it re-shafted, and set at your specs, that Palm lock grip is all cracked as well, isn't it? Especially if you plan on gaming it,
If you would like one for your collection, keep your eyes out for a good example of an earlier era model, that is in original condition,
I only have the 1-A myself, no 1A models (got a couple of 2A's though), it has a PP58 grip on it, which I reckon is the best one for having on a Ping gamer,
I will attach a couple of rough pics,

IMG_0165.jpgIMG_0169.jpgIMG_0167.jpgIMG_0168.jpg

FrankenScotty

No Guts, No Glory!!
This is the job that they did on the Kushin for me as well,
In the first pic of the shiny new shaft, up the top, you can see the True Temper stamp, it has that period shaft band on as well, but I took off the Finger Lock grip that they had installed and put the old grip on (as it just made it look right, for that era), hope this helps you make your own decision, as after all, that resides with you. I am trying to show you here what a new shaft would look like on your 1-A.

IMG_0158.jpgIMG_0171.jpgIMG_0164.jpg

FrankenScotty

No Guts, No Glory!!
These internet pics are of an earlier version of the 1A, there were other zip coded Phoenix models as well, and of course Scottsdale's and Redwood's which were manufactured even earlier.
The 1-A, I think, was the final model of the 1A type, apart from anniversary models, happy to be corrected of course, hope this helps, in your quest,

s-l1601.jpgs-l1600.jpg

FrankenScotty

No Guts, No Glory!!
If you are not sure on the grips, I am lead to believe that these internet pics show firstly, the PP58, then the Palm Lock, and lastly the Finger Lock grips,

51cdx2Z+2WL._SY355_.jpgPING-Golf-Pride-PALM-LOCK-Putter-Grip.jpgimg58611668.jpg

Yumseyo

Of course mate, the decision is up to you,
What I would probably do, only my opinion though is, get it re-shafted, and set at your specs, that Palm lock grip is all cracked as well, isn't it? Especially if you plan on gaming it,
If you would like one for your collection, keep your eyes out for a good example of an earlier era model, that is in original condition,
I only have the 1-A myself, no 1A models (got a couple of 2A's though), it has a PP58 grip on it, which I reckon is the best one for having on a Ping gamer,
I will attach a couple of rough pics,

View attachment 108582View attachment 108583View attachment 108584View attachment 108585
Hey Steve,

I just picked up a 1A 85029 PO box 9006, kinda beat up. (I'll post pictures when I receive it) I need your advice now that I have two of these. Which one should I keep? Or refurbish? Or sell? Or ?