Materials in old putters from Ping

Rubiks

Like allot of other threads her this one starts with "I got an old Ping putter". This one was a Ping A-blade that I got rather cheap and it is quite dark, almost black. My plan is to play with it and I wanted to refinish it a bit. Not make it look brand new but just take the worst dark/black patina of it to make the lines and markings on it a bit clearer.
After some googling I found "the classic ping Anser dull yellow-ish/gold"-color and thought that my A-blade had that color for some years ago. Like this one while the one I
have more looked like the dark one on top in this picture. I also found that my A-blade was made of "Manganese Bronze" and started to find the best way to get some of the dark patina be less dark and it to show more of the yellow old thing it once was. Mostly common seams to be to soak it in Coca Cola for a few hours. That might do the trick and is easy to do but just because I am what I am I wanted to know whats in the coke that make the dark go away. And to know that I hade to know what the dark thing was. Bronze mainly consists of copper witch has a red color-tone. The other part of bronze is often Zink, aluminum or other with (silver) looking material. Even Manganese is white. The black thing on the putter is the copper in the bronze that reacts with the oxygen in everything that it comes in contact with and it first go from copper to Copper(I)oxide witch can be both yellow and red. But the reaction is not done and from Copper(I)oxide it goes quickly to Copper(II)oxide witch is the dark (even black) color. When you soak the putter in Coca Cola the acid (Phosphoric acid) combined with the Cokes carbonation can dissolve the copper oxide. Depending on what acid you use you will end up with different results but they will reacts with the copper oxide and creates mostly chlorides, water and Oxygen. This process will remove copper from the putter, even if it is a really smal amount.
Another way of getting the oxide of is to use Sodium dithionite. Instead of dissolve the oxide (and the copper) Sodium dithionite will reduce the copper oxide back to copper. Sodium dithionite is used in allot of industries and some products you find at home, like color solver for washing clothes. This metod look more fun and a bit more nice to the putter so I went with this one. It is a bit more work because it has to be rubbed in and you can not soak the putter in a solution and sit and wait. After some work it gave a result on my a-blade but not what I was expecting.

Now the main point whit this stupid long post. When the black color started to fade away on my A-blade the color turned more red/copper then I was expecting. And some part of it was really hard to rubb the Sodium dithionite-paste in to so I tried the acid-method in the pocket on the back of the club. And that give me the even more copper/red-ish color then I hade expected. Then I started to google and found out that some Ping are of Beryllium Copper. And no i don't think my A-blade is made of this. But there seams to be allot of people on different sites that want there "Ebay pings" to be in BeCu and are claiming that the one they have is made of BeCu, and a clear way to determent that other peoples old pings is NOT in BeCu is to scratch a smal part of it and if it is the yellow/gold-ish color that appears it is not BeCu and then it will be the more common MaBn. But in that case way didn't mine a-blade turn yellow? It's really clear that it is more redish/copper then the yellow "normal old ping-color".
So I started to look fore what type of bronze will have the yellow tone instead of the red. And it turns out than it is basically none of them. The MaBn in ping putters seams to be this one (From: THE ORIGINAL SCOTTSDALE ANSER - HISTORY & ALL 8 VERSIONS)
The basic composision of this alloy is as follows :
Copper - 63%
Aluminum - 6%
Zinc - 25%
Iron - 3%
Manganese - 3%

But if you look at the composition for Bronze it's usually stops being bronze at copper lever at about 65%. Lower then that seams mostly to be brass. And because of the low part av Copper brass i more yellow/gold in its color.
The composition above explains the yellow/gold in pings MaBn (witch maybe should be named Manganese Brass). But way is my putter not showing the yellow finish as I was expecting? Has anyone been able to restore the more yellow/gold-finish on an MnBn-putter? How was it done?

FrankenScotty

Welcome to PT,
Most people leave the patina on, for a few reasons, one being to eliminate glare at address,
But if you like it shiny, all good, totally up to you,
Your choice to game your A-Blade is a good one, there are plenty of great Mang/Brz heads out there produced by Karsten, apart from the Anser,
I have a sweet A-Blade myself (got her off a great mate of mine), and take it out for a run now and again, most of the older Pings are great putters,
Enjoy your A-Blade, here is a pic of mine and a copy of Lumpy's Ping BeCu and BeNi chart from a previous post of his,

Re: Ping Cushin BeCu « Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 02:52:44 AM »

According to the Ping putter availability chart that I have dated August 1997, the following putters were available in Beryllium Copper :

Anser 2
Anser 4
Anser 5
Anser 5 KS
B60
B61
CU 5
Cushin
Eye 2
Gowin 5
J-Blade
Pal 2
Pal 4
Pal 5
Pal 6
Scottsdale Anser
Zing 2
Zing 5
Zing 5 KS

The following putters were available in Beryllium Nickel :

Anser 2
Anser 4
Anser 5 BZ
B60
B60 5 BZ
J-Blade 3
Pal 2
Pal 5 BZ
Scottsdale Anser
STR
Zing 2
Zing 5 BZ

IMG_0283.jpgIMG_0284.jpgIMG_0285.jpg

Rubiks

Thanks for respons, nice looking putter. I'm not trying to get mine to shine and remove the patina completely. Compared to yours mine was just very much more dark and almost black. I just want it to be a bit less dark so the nice lines and curves on it would be more visible. Yours show a hint of the yellow color I speak about in your pictures, to the left side in the cavity the yellow color goes thru the patina. After my treatment to mine that was pretty much what I was expecting, but instead of yellow it is more red.

I hope to get a new grip I can put on today and then I'm doing a last rubb to remove some more patina on a just a few spots, then it will be ready for the course and age and develop more patina in the conditions and adventures the new owner (me :)) will use it in to bring more life and history to it.

FrankenScotty

Good luck in your quest, these old Ping putters have so much more character than the newer versions.
I have a Ping BLD and Kushin that I have noticed red hues on.