Lefty Anser 85029 help please

Steven C

Please help date this lefty I just found...appears early but the head doesn't always date the putter as I've learned reading here. I see Ping and Anser are swapped in location on mine, not sure how long that mold was used. Not in Lumpy's amazing book I'm afraid. Thanks...great forum. I use a 70's era Anser 2 every time I play....has this green mossy stuff on it's nether regions..pretty cool.
20190630_220536.jpg20190630_220442.jpg20190630_220103.jpg

FrankenScotty

No one jumping in here, I will do my best,
Yep, a bit of weird growth, on an old Ping does happen, but doesn't affect playability at all, I have the odd one with red, even purplish hues, only on the sole though, these being Manganese Bronze heads, the same as your Anser here, not Stainless Steel as with your Anser 2,
My guess is that this 85029 lefty, must have been in the very first run of lefty's, with the new mold, after the Dalehead lefty mold was not used any more,
The "Putting Man" grip, and especially the shaftband, sort of place it in the Karsten Co, or at the latest, the back of the Dalehead right handed era, which seems strange, as the heel/toe bumpers seem to be the newer shape,
It has no trademark R's on the bumpers either,
Or, I doubt it though, a shaft change was done, putting the preferred shaft into the newer head. Only a guess!
For something that is probably fifty years old, this head looks remarkably pristine.
Does it have a melted collar on the bottom of the grip?
Also, is the first step nine and a half inches?
Cheers Steve.

Steven C

Some more photos...yes and yes about the shaft and grip collar. I'm adding photos of the Anser 2 I mentioned. The metals look very different..maybe one is BeCu? The LH was found with a whitish haze over the metal and was darker until I rubbed some lemon oil and beeswax into the casting to clean it up just a little Thanks Frankenscotty for your interest in these...showing the differences in the finish and castings.... and the green moss :). The RH Anser I found with a weird orange grip and pitted rusted shaft, just cleaned up the shaft best I could and put it i the golf bag. Do pretty well with it. Cheers sir...and happy collecting...I just stumbled across these two.

Attachments

Last edited:

Steven C

Grip collar photo of the lefty is at the end...bet you noticed. Happy to post more info or photos if needed. Thanks!

FrankenScotty

The melted collar and first step seem to affirm what I was thinking, still a weird timeframe for that lefty though,
Your Anser 2 is Beryllium Copper, they didn't make Manganese Bronze Anser 2's to my limited knowledge, this might explain "the green glow" as well, being a little bit of copper tarnish.
The BeCu and BeNi models are heavier than the Mang/Brz.

FrankenScotty

Here, my Dalehead has the same first step, grip and melted collar as your lefty,
But your shaftband I think (glad to be corrected), is the one, before the one on my Dalehead, possibly on the Karsten Co Dalehead.
This is before your lefty head was produced, a bit of an anomaly, but this is only my guess.
Maybe that whole shaft was taken out of something from then and put into the newer left handed Anser, as they liked that particular shaft,
It just seems strange to me that the older shaft, grip, melted collar and shaftband, seem to be on a newer head, as I said, just a guess.

IMG_0204.jpgIMG_0205.jpgIMG_0206.jpgIMG_0207.jpgIMG_0208.jpgIMG_0210.jpg

Steven C

Might be a first run of a brand new mold.... a new head placed onto an old shaft makes little sense. Fun having an oddball Anser in such great shape. I think the owner rarely used it. Thanks again...nice Dale head!

FrankenScotty

As I said, your Anser 2 is BeCu,
The difference to Manganese Bronze is easy to pick, as the BeCu is more "chocolatey" ,
Here is my BeCu one, being compared to a fifty odd year old Manganese Bronze Anser, that is quite dark, to show the colour difference.

IMG_0213.jpgIMG_0214.jpg

The Anser 2 wasn't released in Manganese Bronze, it came out in Stainless Steel (the most numerous), Beryllium Copper and Beryllium Nickel, the nickel version is distinguishable from the stainless one as looking a more satin sort of colour, and is heavier, cheers Steve.

IMG_0212.jpgIMG_0211.jpg

FrankenScotty

Thank you, it would seem that you have started a collection as well, enjoy the journey, it is fun, but can be expensive (I'm still married though),
I just like looking at them, and wondering how someone such as Karsten Solheim (Mr Ping), came up with all this technology starting back in the '50's, and thinking up so many different models. What a brain he must have had, cheers.

Steven C

Read his story too, and watched a great video produced for the Anser 50th anniversary...am sure you've seen it too. Think I'll get a cover for my BeCu...my son told me to leave all the copper penny patina...weird but glad I did. I'll definitely be watching the flea markets and thrift shops...still millions out there! Cheers sir!

Steven C

...and an eccentric guy that can build an entire industry by tinkering in his garage until he got it right...just amazing...the American dream. I worked at a country club summer of 71 and everybody in the pro shop was buying the Ping putters (and Munsingwear alpaca sweaters :) ) wished I could afford one then. Peace

FrankenScotty

I read somewhere, but don't know if it is true or not, that when Karsten decided that he would branch out into making irons, as well as putters, he approached Rolls Royce in the United Kingdom about methods and materials for making parts. When he explained what he wanted to do, the engineers at Rolls Royce told him that they couldn't help, as his parameters were too strict. Apparently he came home and got the bank loan for his first small manufacturing site after the meeting. I hope that it is true, what a great story, Rolls Royce telling you that your quality control is too high for them!
As they say, there is the right way, the wrong way, and then there is Karsten's Way!