How well do the Bettinardi putters compare to the Scotty Cameron Tour Only putters?

Tac852413

T.A.C.
For me the Scotty Cameron putters I have used are in my opinion the best putter available. With that said I have to say I haven't really tried many other putters. So now I'm looking to purchase a new putter and I have read about all these custom fitted putters and to me all of them resemble one another to an extent.
These Bettinardi putters have my attention and I am curious to know how they compare w the Scotty Cameron?

I'm sure I'm a bit biased, but to me I've always preferred Bettinardi putters over Cameron. Though I have to say I've yet to roll a CT putter, I doubt any would beat any DASS putter I've owned. Excellent workmanship and feel are what I look for in putters and Bettinardi does both of those and can be found at more reasonable prices. Plus their style, especially those created a few years ago, are classic and beautiful. Both brands produce quality, but for my money I will always prefer Bettinardi.

Jimbobuc21

If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
I'd rate several as equals to the SC offerings, if not better... too many folks have consumed the Cameron Kool-Ade to be open minded about it but I would look at Byron Morgan, Kari LaJosi, and several others. Too much Madison Avenue and not enough reality makes folks assume that Cameron is something more than it is. I myself have several, but nearly all of them are early to late '90s pieces. Keep an open mind is my advice on this.
Jimbo :cool:

Mr. Doug

Here we go!
Staff member
One thing I've learned over the last 15y I've been collecting putters of all manufacturers: ALL of this is subjective.

Bettinardi is milled in his own (massive) shop, about 15' from his office. All the design and testing is done about 7' from his office. All of his stuff is as high a quality as you could possibly imagine. If you're looking for a true "Tour" putter, then Bettinardi is a great place to start. He's got great tech, and has his finder on the pulse of what his collectors want.

...and it's well documented that Bob milled all of Scotty's putters for him up until about the year 2000.

Now....that being said....

Scotty has some GREAT putters too. They're both thoughtful designs, and some great technology.

Comparing manufactures against each other is never a good idea. Find what you like. Collect it...play it....admire it for what it is. That's your best bet.

Will one manufacturer make you a better putter than the other? Maybe. Will you sink more putts because of the cost? Likely not. I used to play with a guy that had the worst looking putter in the world. It may have cost him $10 20y ago, and he'd school me on a daily basis with it.

Tac852413

T.A.C.
Thank you for the input. I have extra time on my hands (vacation) and a house to myself this week so I have been looking up mainly putters. My current putter happens to be a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select, so I feel a certain loyalty to the Scotty Cameron brand, but as I continue my journey into purchasing my new putter I have noticed many of these putters resemble each other in one way or the other. The Bettinardi putters have been able to get my attention and seem to be a good solid putter also. Honestly I could continue to use my Scotty Cameron I currently have but I just want something comparable to the Tour Only Scotty Cameron putters, because in my mind I feel like I would be getting a improved version of the putter I have now. Plus I deserve to buy myself a nice present. I can finally afford to pay a higher price a putter so I'm just trying to make sure I have exploded my options. I actually just picked up 2 new Titelest wedges this morning! 54&58 degree, going to play this afternoon!

Mr. Doug

Here we go!
Staff member
I used to only play a Cameraon. Then I discovered Bettinardi and Byron. (There's a LONG story behind those two sentences!)
I used to only wear my Rolex. Then I discovered Panerai and Adumars Piguet.
I used to only shoot pictures with my Nikon. Then started shooting with a Leica.

Like any hobby, you start with one thing, and then realize that there are many options.

jr

Administrator
Staff member
First, you would need to define what you understand is a Tour Only Scotty Cameron putter. I say this because most putters that people think are Tour Only Scotty Cameron putters are not. In fact, there are very few Cameron putters, if any, that are made in a different manner than regular production putters.

Second, I would also suggest that putters made by Bettinardi, Byron, Swag, and many others, have better quality control than the putters made by Cameron if you are comparing putters in the same price range.

Lastly, if you want to buy from American owned companies, I do not think that Scotty Cameron putters would meet that requirement.

Tac852413

T.A.C.
I used to only play a Cameraon. Then I discovered Bettinardi and Byron. (There's a LONG story behind those two sentences!)
I used to only wear my Rolex. Then I discovered Panerai and Adumars Piguet.
I used to only shoot pictures with my Nikon. Then started shooting with a Leica.

Like any hobby, you start with one thing, and then realize that there are many options.
That's exactly why I didn't just buy the Scotty Cameron I have been wanting to purchase. I'm actually taking the time to read about the other putters that are comparable to any Scotty Cameron. The Bettinardi putters have caught my attention, some of the other high end putters don't really do it for me. The Tyson Lamb putters make me laugh, surely it's a good putter.