Hot Rod Ports mixed with Rebar

Golfluvzme

The little guy just working harder, ;-)
The Hot Rod putter came to be while I was working out of Karas Kustoms in Mesa, but it never made it to a full-time offering. For a few years, I pretty much forgot about it. Then, as things go, someone saw a picture of one of the early pieces and made a request. One lead to another and I have had a great time crafting each one.
Here is the most recent version. It had a Full Ringer neck, but I managed to crack it during offset creation and decided to completely change the look. The flange is completely welded to the blade section, that is why you see that weld track on the sole. Also, any tiny pore that is exposed during the sanding process can hold liquid at any point. THAT is the reason for that tiny dot along the weld. It was incredibly frustrating, but I couldn't see risking this beautiful blue and having the same spot pop up on the second attempt.
Check out the pix and let me know what you guys think.
Thanks,
LaMont in AZIMG_5549.JPGIMG_5552.JPGIMG_5554.JPGIMG_5556.JPGIMG_5562.JPGIMG_5564.JPGIMG_5566.JPG

LionGolfer

That looks really cool Lamont. Love the neck and tat root beer color of the body is really nice. Is that an oil based, heat treatment or coating or?

Looks to be a full shaft offset from the address pic. How will it play compared to if it had a full offset PN?

Nice job!

mattc

Beautiful putter. That’s really rebar? How is the feel and strength of that? Is it a strong metal? I just looked up rebar and apparently there’s quite a few different types out there which isn’t surprising I guess.

Golfluvzme

Beautiful putter. That’s really rebar? How is the feel and strength of that? Is it a strong metal? I just looked up rebar and apparently there’s quite a few different types out there which isn’t surprising I guess.
I have learned the same thing, with regards to the composition of rebar. It can be made using a very wide mixture of materials. I made a few using a smaller OD of Rebar and the softness in setting the loft and lie was very evident. My concerns prompted a larger OD for putters after that and I have had no calls from customers with issues.
I don't see it ever being something used on a larger scale, but for one-off type of things for something different, unique and attention-getting, I like the opportunity to give it a shot.
Solid question and I appreciate the comment.
LaMont in AZ

Jimbobuc21

If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
I believe I got this one from Lightning 44 several years ago...
Jimbo :cool:

Golfluvzme

I believe I got this one from Lightning 44 several years ago...
Love to see that!!!!! Hot Rod 1!
The putters I have built in the past that show up in pictures remind me where some of my ideas have started and some of the work I have almost forgotten. That HR1 is so cool, for me to see, again! Thanks Jimbo!
LaMont in AZ

Jimbobuc21

If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
Dude, I am very tempted to send my HR1 back to get that beautiful dark finish that you put on this one... it is the color of used motor oil, a nice caramelized look that is just awesome...