Geo's Cord Grip Cleaning Trick - Lots of pics

geogolf

www.theclubcollector.com
I have been Doing this for about 15 years. Cord grips typically look like crap when old and dirty. The dirt gets in the cord, and even more slippery...mixed with the oils from your hands- many people just cut the grip off and junk it.

Not so fast.

Now..if you are a bachelor--- no biggie. married guys, Unless you have a workshop--this may be cause for divorce, things can get dirty in the sink.

Here's all you need.

A sink - - with hot water :)
Soft Brush - an Old tooth brush is perfect
Dawn Dishwashing Liquid.
Spray Bottle...with a mix of 1 part Bleach to about 5/6 parts water. Depending on how bad the grip is.

Our Example here- an Original grip from an Inspired by David Duval. Approx 15 years old.

1) Soak Grip With Hot Water.

2) Spray Grip with Bleach/Water Mix

3) put a line of dawn Dishwashing liquid on grip...let set-over sink,for about 5 min.

4) With hot water running-run brush under water...use brush on the full length of grip- rinsing the grip often.

5) You should see a bunch of gunk coming off by now.... If VERY dirty- add a spray of Bleach mix

6) Keep using brush on grip and rinsing brush until there is less and less dirt coming off

7) Rinse entire grip in hot water.

8) Wrap In paper towel...2 or 3 and squeeze tight. This will absorb the water from the Cord....

9) Whallllllllaaaaaaaa a fresh looking grip. ........

8) 8) 8)

Attachments

T. J.

PUTTERS!? We no need no,,, wait,,, si , we do !!
Staff member
THANKS!!!!!!!!! Going to try it on a 1 year old grip, will post pics,,,,,

Jimbobuc21

If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
I have also done this many times, works on any cord grip, not just putter grips, and I have never used any bleach water... just the hot water, Dawn, and a toothbrush. I find it valuable to rinse the brush thoroughly and then wet the grip again and take the toothbrush to it again... and I am always surprised at how much it lathers up again. It is an otherwise very durable grip, so it is like new when you are done.

Jimbo 8)

apprenti23

I have done the same thing for many years, yet I do not use bleach. I do however hit the grips with some sand paper to bring some cord out. I'm a huge fan of cord grips and always have been, heck probably always will play them.

geogolf

www.theclubcollector.com
apprenti23 said:
I have done the same thing for many years, yet I do not use bleach. I do however hit the grips with some sand paper to bring some cord out. I'm a huge fan of cord grips and always have been, heck probably always will play them.
I have used Scotchbrite before as well. But on Cameron Putter grips... they seem to fray the cord quickly. The bleach seems to make the cord pop out... :)

Jimbobuc21

For me the key is to not rough the chord up so much as to make it 'fuzzy' and that is the danger of too rough of a surface for the cleaning. I would caution anyone that is going to try this, that if you use too harsh of a surface you might end up with a furry grip.

Jimbo 8)

geogolf

www.theclubcollector.com
Jimbobuc21 said:
For me the key is to not rough the chord up so much as to make it 'fuzzy' and that is the danger of too rough of a surface for the cleaning. I would caution anyone that is going to try this, that if you use too harsh of a surface you might end up with a furry grip.

Jimbo 8)
Correct... I stick with the old toothbrush...take my time and done.

Straight Bleach will actually work BUT it really can dry the grip out.

Jimbobuc21

Unless your grips are all dried up, this will make many grips like new... hot water, Dawn, and a toothbrush will go a long way to extending your grips.

Jimbo 8)

Cols_Ears

Now call me a little OCD or tight if you wish, but I have always cleaned my grips on a regular basis (like every other week during the season, was once a week before I had kids!) and it really keeps them tacky and the cord clean. I have always liked cord grips and have found you can easily get a couple of seasons out of them if you regularly clean them - for me they last much longer than standard rubber grips.

I have a bigger scrubbing brush which makes the process a little quicker than using a toothbrush - it's also got stiffer bristles, which I find helps get the dirt out better. Never tried the bleach solution, but I can see how it would make the cord whiter. I also just wipe them down on a clean towel rather than paper towels (again - cheaper!)

TMAC

I do this as well. Works great!
I also use a product made for tires called Westley's Bleche White (that's how they spell "bleach", not me). It has a rubber rejuvenator so it works wonders on bringing life back to rubber grips, and it also has some bleach in it so it makes all of the white (letters and cord) much cleaner / brighter.

mmckee02

Great post to resurrect guys. I do this all the time with old cords. Works great on old cord iron grips too.

MM