finalist's BYRONs

finalist

The Roll Abides
First pic: front to back - 612 (carbon body, Damascus neck, rounded topline, polished Blue Oil), 612 (carbon body, German Steel neck, polished Blue Oil), 612 (solid copper, hand milled face rounded topline) Mindless (German 612, 360g, event engraved sole), 612 (carbon, twisty neck, dots, brushed blue oil)

second, third and fourth pics: my gamer. 612 with damascus neck. The neck is from a solid Damascus DH89. DH89s have a full shaft of offset while 612s have 3/4 shaft offset, so adding the DH89 neck gives this 612 a full shaft of offset. The rolled top line looks so good too.

Attachments

finalist

The Roll Abides
612s

The first one is a carbon head with a German neck. Standard 3/4 offset since the neck is from a German 612. High polished Blue Oil.

Second putter is a solid copper 612 with a hand milled face. Solid copper is VERY soft, but also denser than steel so to keep the weight in check Byron usually has the cavity milled out more.

Attachments

finalist

The Roll Abides
First putter: Mindless. The Mindless is a heavier version of the 612 with a deeper face milling. They were designed for the Asian market, but Byron kept about 10-12 in the U.S. The heavier head weight works well for shorter shaft lengths.

Second putter: Sammie's gamer (my daughter). She drew it up and Byron made it.

Attachments

finalist

The Roll Abides
DH 89s and the last putter in this post is a JB DaleHead cast.
First putter is a German DH89, second is a carbon with black oxide and the third is an American Stainless steel. Want to see what metals feel different? These three are a great test kit.

Attachments

finalist

The Roll Abides
First stick: My first Byron. A 365 X-Proto with sound slot. What I really like about this putter is how it shows off CNC one piece milling. No cast putter can look like that. Look how crisp the shoulder are and there are mill marks all over the place.

Second putter: 006. Clean, blasted.Sort of a lighter, softer evolution of the 365 X-Proto. The sole and face are high polished and the face features Twilight Zone milling.

Third Putter: 029 X-Proto. Solid copper with sound slot. Destined for Japan this stick weighs 365g. Club Byron stamp on toe.

Fourth Putter: 007. one of the original 16 carbon 007 from the first run. Sound slot and twilight zone face milling.

Attachments

finalist

The Roll Abides
First: German Bombora. Secrets head grind. Half twist with Triple Blue Oil fade. In the right outdoor light this finish really looks like a setting sun over the ocean although some of the blues have faded a little over the years. Tuna milled face.

Second Putter: ONe of the first Bomboras. Byron unleased the Bombora at the 2010 Shop Gathering. For those that purchased one he hand ground them right in front of us. This Rincon neck features the first half twist and sight drip. The welded sight dot has been done before but before they are completed to look like a little bump they have this sharp point from the material dripping onto the top line. At the last minute I asked Byron to keep it like that and the sharp point stay.

Third: Captain Morgan blade. This is the actual prototype for the new release a few years back. It has more offset than the production models

Attachments

finalist

The Roll Abides
Minis:
US stainless, Solid copper and carbon steel. Very soft feeling putter! It's hard to miss the sweet spot since so much of the face will not twist in a bad strike. Also to gain some weight the cavity is thicker which gives it a softer/muted feel. Check out the paint fill on the surfer babe on the Carbon Black Ox Mini. The paint fades from one color to the next with no hard breaks.
The last putter is a Dale Head 9 mini. It is slightly smaller than the DH89 Minis.

Attachments

finalist

The Roll Abides
From left to right: Mindless (360g German 612 with special deep face milling for Asia), A.S.S. 006, and 365 X-Proto.
Note the spacing between the top line and where the shoulders begin to slope into the bumpers and the neck area near the barrels and how the 006 and 365 X-Proto have longer barrels for balancing weight. Also check out the heel side slope and how they differ in transition design.
The mindless is brushed Blue oil and the 006 is blasted with a high polished Twilight Zone face. The 365 X-proto has a blasted finish with polishing on the sides of the bumpers and sole.

Attachments

finalist

The Roll Abides
From left to right:

Captain Morgan Prototype blade (has a bit more offset than the final production models)
Bombora Secrets (first half twist Rincon neck with first sight Drip Dot)
007 Black Oxide
Mindless (German 612 Brushed Blue Oil)
DH89 (German Brushed Blue Oil)
DH89 Mini (Brushed Blue Oil)

Attachments

finalist

The Roll Abides
Special event head cover for the 2011 get together at Byron's shop. Features the Stacks found outside of Byron's shop and the PCH intersection between the shop and the beach.

Attachments

finalist

The Roll Abides
First pic: Sally covers. There are two basic designs Sally Palms (has the palm trees) and Sally Perspective (has the Byron logo with an altered perspective. These designs started with a post by JR who posted a picture of Miss California and said Can you make this into a head cover? OK, here ya go. Except we changed her to Mrs. Morgan, Sally Morgan, and added a surf board. Z-man somehow got a hold of one that had no top.

Second pic: are the head covers designed for Asia. They are heavy on the German theme for the love of GS. The first 4 on the left are based on BauHaus designs which is a famous German school that basically invented modern design style. wiki link on Bauhaus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauhaus. The next cover when designed had one idea peace and happy theme. I can't remember if it was Mike-san or Byron who requested it, but they were mostly sold to the Japanese clients of Mike. The Byron 029 came with my solid copper 029 (looks like a 006). I think those were made primarily for Japan. The brown 8811 cover came standard on the 8811s headed to Japan and those sticks also had matching leather grips.

Attachments

finalist

The Roll Abides
First Pic: Special event covers. The Navy covers are the Tuna covers. First released for a gathering of people at Byron's shop. Byron loves golf, surf, guitars, wine and tuna.

Second Pic: Captain Morgan cover designed for the Captain Morgan series of putters. Byron told me his great great something was actually THE Captain Morgan. Not to mention Hunter Mahan's dad calls Byron "Captain" all the time.
Semi interesting fact about the Capt crest design... The shapes in the crest are taken from the letter forms found in the typeface used in words Captain Morgan - see the spike serifs in both?

There's another Captain Morgan cover out there that is rare. It features a large picture of Captain Morgan as a pirate. Very cool and detailed.

Attachments

finalist

The Roll Abides
Original Welshman Made covers form 2005. There's a really cool design that came before these that is similar, but more ornate.

Attachments

finalist

The Roll Abides
First pic: Club Byron head cover.

Second pic: Toes on the Nose head covers. The idea for this design was to break open the layout of putter head covers. Up until this design head cover layouts either featured a logo/crest centered, large text centered or "dancing" cartoon clip art. The idea was to create an image that asymmetrically wraps around the cover shape for some more dynamic interest - something you could turn in your hand and have a new view from any angle. I'd never seen any company use the space like this before, but now it's done all the time.

Attachments

finalist

The Roll Abides
my bag: Byron 612 (carbon body with Damascus neck. Slightly more offset than standard 612), Scratch Don White irons, Scratch Jeff McCoy wedges, Titleist 913 D3, Titleist 913 Fd, and Adams Super Hybrid.

Attachments