DIY Putter Fitting - Influence of Hosel Design

JunkerJorge

Bruce,
You mentioned the stroke lab shafts. If I recall you weren’t big on those at one point? Do you think they are helpful? If so what profile, or stroke style do you think they benefit. I rolled one about twice in a shop and hated it.

bargolf

Hi,
We like the idea of controlling the weight. We know if we get the weight distribution correct we can better control stroke length. This is the first generation of what I hope is a step forward for the OEMs. Many more weight distribution options for the non- custom consumer. It still requires an understanding of your own stroke to get it right.

Most of my negative comments pertained to the stability claims of all the new generation putter shafts.

This putter works best for a player who judges the stroke with a feel for the balance point of the putter rather than a head feel. We know big muscle strokes focus more on balance point and over all weight rather than head weight. The opposite is that hand dominant players tend to focus on swing weight. This set up would make releasing the toe of the putter more difficult.

Not surprised ( based on what I just posted) but curious why you disliked it? My guess is that it has a lighter swing weight than any of yours? I know we talked about heavier head weights. I know your Ping swings heavier. Also there is a different face feel.

Hope all is well.

JunkerJorge

Hi,
We like the idea of controlling the weight. We know if we get the weight distribution correct we can better control stroke length. This is the first generation of what I hope is a step forward for the OEMs. Many more weight distribution options for the non- custom consumer. It still requires an understanding of your own stroke to get it right.

Most of my negative comments pertained to the stability claims of all the new generation putter shafts.

This putter works best for a player who judges the stroke with a feel for the balance point of the putter rather than a head feel. We know big muscle strokes focus more on balance point and over all weight rather than head weight. The opposite is that hand dominant players tend to focus on swing weight. This set up would make releasing the toe of the putter more difficult.

Not surprised ( based on what I just posted) but curious why you disliked it? My guess is that it has a lighter swing weight than any of yours? I know we talked about heavier head weights. I know your Ping swings heavier. Also there is a different face feel.

Hope all is well.
Thanks for the response Bruce. Just curious. I didn't really give it a go, I just rolled a few out of curiosity while picking up something in the golf shop.

I didn't like it because a) I couldn't feel the putter in space on the backstroke if that makes sense, b) I felt like the face was trying to close to path and I had to fight it open and then didn't want to release, and c) I didn't care at all for the feel at impact.

Almost all the putters I play are on the lighter side (335-340g) in terms of headweight, not sure about swing weight. I'm using the 335g ZB primarily. I don't know if I felt like the stroke lab putter was heavier or lighter per se. It felt to me almost like it was stuck on a 2 dimensional plane and I had no feel for stroke, rotation, or impact. Again, this is from a half dozen rolls so . . .

I haven't been able to play too much since the back half of last year but I'm hoping to get out a little more in the near future. May have to check back in on the stroke. I feel like I may need to go a little longer than 35".

I hope you're doing great, seems like you're staying awfully busy!

bargolf

Thanks for the response Bruce. Just curious. I didn't really give it a go, I just rolled a few out of curiosity while picking up something in the golf shop.

I didn't like it because a) I couldn't feel the putter in space on the backstroke if that makes sense, b) I felt like the face was trying to close to path and I had to fight it open and then didn't want to release, and c) I didn't care at all for the feel at impact.

Almost all the putters I play are on the lighter side (335-340g) in terms of headweight, not sure about swing weight. I'm using the 335g ZB primarily. I don't know if I felt like the stroke lab putter was heavier or lighter per se. It felt to me almost like it was stuck on a 2 dimensional plane and I had no feel for stroke, rotation, or impact. Again, this is from a half dozen rolls so . . .

I haven't been able to play too much since the back half of last year but I'm hoping to get out a little more in the near future. May have to check back in on the stroke. I feel like I may need to go a little longer than 35".

I hope you're doing great, seems like you're staying awfully busy!
A great description! I think it is the effect of the counter weight. Don't tell Odyssey but I have had some success talking the counter weight out at 34"or less.

Look forward to hearing from you. Sounds like you are busy as well.

Seems like I remember we went back and forth on the length.

A.Princey

Hosel design is HUGE! How you see the putter head, and how it correlates to ball position/alignment at address is a key factor in confidence while over the ball. Offset, hosel size, and overall hosel footprint, as seen from above, directly impacts how you square the putter face to the ball. For some, myself included, any hosel obstruction of the heel whatsoever proves to be problematic for my stroke consistency.