Chosing a Putter

bargolf

If a putter could be built that would best fit your movement patterns, would you be willing to sacrifice your visual preferences?

Oneputt

If a putter could be built that would best fit your movement patterns, would you be willing to sacrifice your visual preferences?
No. I want to play a putter that looks good to me. I'm not sure what you mean by "movement patterns" but I believe much of stroke type-path is dictated by the the putter's length and weight.
In other words, my address posture will be different when swinging a 36" putter versus a 34" putter, and so will my stroke type-path.

Maverickping

Tough call as I am a visual person. A center shafted putter is something I don't think I could ever get used to. But, a mallet putter is not my thing but if I could be better by using it, certainly.

T. J.

PUTTERS!? We no need no,,, wait,,, si , we do !!
Staff member
Well, don't know,,, started with a Byron 006 and after trying 11 different putters,,, 4 different styles, 3 different materials, ended up with one I never considered nor imagined,,, been in the bag for 7 years,,,,, a Byron 8812,,, my putting stroke is mostly straight back slightly open stance,,,

bargolf

No. I want to play a putter that looks good to me. I'm not sure what you mean by "movement patterns" but I believe much of stroke type-path is dictated by the the putter's length and weight.
In other words, my address posture will be different when swinging a 36" putter versus a 34" putter, and so will my stroke type-path.
Much more to it than just length and weight. Location of cog relative to shaft is a big one.

cnosil

Line and speed control for me. If I can start the ball online and with the correct speed I can get by the looks.

RobotDoctor

Coffee drinking hacker
That's a tough question. I know I should say yes to this but if a putter doesn't look pleasing to my eye I know my psychological side will sabotage that putter. So in the end I would have to answer no, I cannot sacrifice my visual preferences. All I know is that I really love the look and performance of my Epic Day.

vman

For me I can't stomach looking at anything that isn't symmetrical and can't even fathom how people can look down at a plumbers neck and think it's a good design for putting.

jpwb8

For me I can't stomach looking at anything that isn't symmetrical and can't even fathom how people can look down at a plumbers neck and think it's a good design for putting.
Off topic, but I also hate plumbers necks.
However I think it is a brilliant design for getting a consistent amount of offset into a lot of putters quickly and inexpensively.

On topic.
To an exent, yes I can sacrifice visual preference.
For example I love the look of an 8802 but when I get one in my hands I putt like a cabbage.
I can compromise on blades (Bombora, T.P.Mills One, Tad TM...well anything really) but can't abide mallets.