Carbon Vs Stainless - your thoughts?

tsecor

In your opinion, what are the advantages, disadvantages, likes, and dislikes of each type of metal? I am debating the metal for my soft tail XL. Which way should I go?

JunkerJorge

Carbon has slight edge in feel. Stainless large edge in maintenance. For me.

FWIW I recommend trying to pick up some used putters and try some things out before you go “all in” on a custom.

Either that or just pull the trigger and decide up front you’re going to love it. Before you order know what style fits your stroke (get with @bargolf if you don’t know), know what look fits your eye, and know what story fits your soul. Then just roll em and hole em.

tsecor

FWIW I recommend trying to pick up some used putters and try some things out before you go “all in” on a custom.

Either that or just pull the trigger and decide up front you’re going to love it. Before you order know what style fits your stroke (get with @bargolf if you don’t know), know what look fits your eye, and know what story fits your soul. Then just roll em and hole em.
It took me a while and I tried to force myself to like the Newport / anser style "square" blades (at address), but I always kept coming back to a more rounded look. The soft tail xl fits everything for me aesthetically. It seems to relax my brain / eye. every other putter ive tried always has me looking at bumpers and rough lines. The only putter that ive owned that doesn't do that for me is the Wilson 8802. That is pure and very pleasing to the eye. The ONLY negative is, I don't love heel shafted putters.

tsecor

I'll just leave this to Kyle from Kingston Putters in a blog post he did.

great read, thank you. Seems I can get a carbon with a nice oil can coating for protection and probably be good with minimal maintenance. I am going to rely on the manufacturer for their expertise. if I can get GSS at a price close to 303, ill do that. I know Kingston is the cheapest as far as GSS goes where other manufacturers charge double

JunkerJorge

There is some consensus that David Mills’ black ox is a particularly resilient finish for carbon. That being said, carbon is always going to require maintenance.

I started out with a carbon gamer and a “wet weather” gamer. Eventually I just started using stainless most of the time and the carbon stuff comes out every now and then. I am now experimenting with a totally raw carbon putter but the jury is still out on that one.

As for the GSS, some will argue this, but I wouldn’t pay $1 more for German vs American stainless other than for resell purposes. I certainly wouldn’t change models or makers to get it. I don’t think there is any discernible difference between the two and 99.9% of the people you play with wouldn’t even know what your talking about.

Now Damascus is a different story.

Also with some other makers you could have copper, AlBz, etc. options. I’ve tried them and they have never been my cup of tea but some folks love it.

tsecor

I agree on the GSS. Its trendy in golf and that's why I love Kingstons take on it....they aren't up charging for it. For me, if carbon is a nicer sound/feel and I can coat it with something that helps, ill give it a shot. But I will have no reservations with stainless and putting a nice torch finish on it.

MattM97

As for where I'm at I don't think I'm too picky, then again if I had the option on a custom I'd hum and haw over it for a while.

I have a mix of both in my collection and I think if you like say the softness of carbon but the lack of maintenance from stainless the face will make a difference too like the F.I.T. Face Bettinardi offers will make anything softer feel wise.

I might prefer carbon just from the look but if I can get a duller look off a stainless from a bead blast I'd go that route to not worry about maintenance. Where I'm at it's humid in the summers but my house is fairly dry.

tsecor

as long as I'm not getting a "tingy" or high pitched click from it, ill be happy . I'm more of a solid "thud" guy. Just nothing too high pitched. This is my 1st custom so I'm being ultra picky about what I do

MattM97

I'd mention that to the putter maker and see what they say. I think stainless could lead to a click being harder material where the carbon being softer would have a more muted feel to it. But your ball could also play into that, if you play the X or plus model of most brands they tend to click more.

But again I'd mentioned that to the putter maker and see what they say or suggest, they know their material, putters and face grinds better than anyone else.

rclarke1

trying to get back on course......
as long as I'm not getting a "tingy" or high pitched click from it, ill be happy . I'm more of a solid "thud" guy. Just nothing too high pitched. This is my 1st custom so I'm being ultra picky about what I do
Don't ever get a sound slot or "beached" putter if you don't like the sound you are referencing. I only had one I liked Lumpy made ALBZ with the slot

tsecor

Don't ever get a sound slot or "beached" putter if you don't like the sound you are referencing. I only had one I liked Lumpy made ALBZ with the slot
thanks. Ive heard that. whatever it is, I'm sure my idiotic brain will adjust to the sound. a friend of mine made a "Billy Baroo" putter out of a branch from a tree. Not sure ive ever seen him 3 putt. I should be able to adjust to a sound :0

Jimbobuc21

If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.

If you order a custom build, good for you, but resist the urge to put your initials on it... inevitably there are custom builds that come up for sale that are so endowed, and they sell for $100 - 200 less than they could have because there is a limited market that wants to buy a putter with YOUR name on it.
Just my $.02 worth...
Jimbo :cool:

Maverickping

great read, thank you. Seems I can get a carbon with a nice oil can coating for protection and probably be good with minimal maintenance. I am going to rely on the manufacturer for their expertise. if I can get GSS at a price close to 303, ill do that. I know Kingston is the cheapest as far as GSS goes where other manufacturers charge double
You mentioned oil can finish. This does require maintenance, one of my putters have this. The only carbon putter I have that requires no maintenance is a Tad Moore with a pvd finish.
PS: I did see your request to see address pictures of my two Cocktails and by the time I got back; Rob guided you over to his. Didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.

Maverickping

You mentioned oil can finish. This does require maintenance, one of my putters have this. The only carbon putter I have that requires no maintenance is a Tad Moore with a pvd finish.
PS: I did see your request to see address pictures of my two Cocktails and by the time I got back; Rob guided you over to his. Didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.
I guess my phone changed my Mills putters to Cocktails (shaking my head...)

tsecor

I guess my phone changed my Mills putters to Cocktails (shaking my head...)
Lol. I thought u had some cocktails! Yes i saw his pics but most if them are aide views in a way. They are fine but was wondering what the heritage looks like from straight above. Would u have a pic of that? If its a pia to do so, no worries.

tsecor

If you order a custom build, good for you, but resist the urge to put your initials on it... inevitably there are custom builds that come up for sale that are so endowed, and they sell for $100 - 200 less than they could have because there is a limited market that wants to buy a putter with YOUR name on it.
Just my $.02 worth...
Jimbo :cool:
Lol. I definitely get it. This one is a tribute putter to my late father who taught me this beautiful game. It will have some personal stamping nut its going to be passed down to my daughter as well. I wont sell this one

T. J.

PUTTERS!? We no need no,,, wait,,, si , we do !!
Staff member
There is an interview with Scotty Cameron where he states that "feel is directly connected to sound, that if you were to putt with identical putters made of different materials using the same golf ball, the "feel" for each putter would be different, but, if you wore hearing protection, you would not be able to tell the difference.
I wanted to prove that wrong! So I used the available putters I had at the time, Byron DH-89 Carbon, Byron DH-89 Stainless , Byron DH-89 Carbon Copper plated , T.P. Mills ( same style head) Nickle plated , Byron Epic Day GSS and Byron 8802 Style Carbon Plated GSS. I used a Prov-1 , a Srixon Z- Star and a Pinnacle, again, that's the golf balls I had on had.

So on a rare cold rainy California day, I went to work! For me the Copper Plated Carbon with a Iomic grip and Pro-V1 was the softest feeling with the Stainless with a leather grip the hardest.

Then the ear plugs and ear muffs went on, results? NO DIFFERENCE, suffering from moderate tinnitus it now makes sense why the only way to change the "feel" of a putter is to go with a leather grip for harder feel or rubber for softer or change golf ball.

Maverickping

Lol. I thought u had some cocktails! Yes i saw his pics but most if them are aide views in a way. They are fine but was wondering what the heritage looks like from straight above. Would u have a pic of that? If its a pia to do so, no worries.
If you do want to see my Mills putters (same word came up) take a look on the third page of the Members Collections (where Rob's beauties are) at Maverickping "What's in the Rack" .