Best putter state?

JunkerJorge

I’d say Illinois has a bit of a claim right now with Bettinardi and Swag being 30min from each other in Chicago.

CA has Scotty and Byron, and a ton of other artisans.
I'm reminded of a conversation in China. A friend asked a local professor over dinner what was his opinion of the United States. He paused for a second and then said, "too early to tell."

Oneputt

I sticking with Bama. Was anyone outside of Karsten Solheim more influential to putter making than Mills, Tad, and Crisman? Those guys are OG putter makers.
I think John Reuter Jr.'s Titleist Bullseye design were used by more players than Mills-Tad and Crisman combined.

Oneputt

Not to mention miniature golf course patrons the world over.
Seriously, in the mid 50's John Reuter jr. spent a few years developing his putter concept. The rounded edges of the head, total weight and how same is distributed throughout the head, flowing neck , sand casting brass head production method, unique fluted shaft etc.... Reuter Jr. did extensive trial and error work to create a product that dominated putter industry sales for the next 20 years. I think he worked out of a shop in Illinois , in business for himself making and selling Bullseye putters for about 5 years before selling his company to Acushnet sometime during the early 60's. Titleist-Acushnet had the resources to maximize distribution and sales revenues of the Bullseye.

JelUltra

Mmmm... Buttery Blades!
Seriously, in the mid 50's John Reuter jr. spent a few years developing his putter concept. The rounded edges of the head, total weight and how same is distributed throughout the head, flowing neck , sand casting brass head production method, unique fluted shaft etc.... Reuter Jr. did extensive trial and error work to create a product that dominated putter industry sales for the next 20 years. I think he worked out of a shop in Illinois , in business for himself making and selling Bullseye putters for about 5 years before selling his company to Acushnet sometime during the early 60's. Titleist-Acushnet had the resources to maximize distribution and sales revenues of the Bullseye.
Believe it or not, TP Mills is on the patent for that design as well.