Arm Lock Heel Misses

jh

Hey guys, I've been "arm locking" and I actually feel confident with it. I'm left hand, but play right, so I've always liked to have my left hand do the work. This actually feels like it balances both hands out with the arm lock. But my lag putting is off, with my misses being on the heel.

Any advice? I'm using 40"/7* loft/72 lie, I've basically always used 34.5"/3/69*, so this is much different. But out of all the arm lock, this feels the best and seems to give me the best results.

jh

It might need to be 1* flat, but I don't think the toe is too up to warrant these misses!

bargolf

Put a glove under your left arm and hold it against your chest. Roll some putts. If this solves the heel strike you know you are reaching above plane with your lead arm.

Reactions: jh

jh

Bruce,

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but will. I added a Jumbomax grip and that seemed to help big time! I have a practice round tomorrow and will try it!

jh

Bruce,

Had a chance to try it, didn't really see any great results? I've been pretty pleased with my putting, but wonder if it can be better, or if I should scrap the arm lock?

OClooper

Hey guys, I've been "arm locking" and I actually feel confident with it. I'm left hand, but play right, so I've always liked to have my left hand do the work. This actually feels like it balances both hands out with the arm lock. But my lag putting is off, with my misses being on the heel.

Any advice? I'm using 40"/7* loft/72 lie, I've basically always used 34.5"/3/69*, so this is much different. But out of all the arm lock, this feels the best and seems to give me the best results.
Greatest piece of advice ever given to me when it comes to putting/chipping...maintaining the majority to if not almost all your grip pressure with your left pinky, ring, and middle fingers. Being left handed will make this even simpler. I’m yet to find someone who hasn’t seen instant results around the greens while keeping that in mind.

bargolf

Bruce,

Had a chance to try it, didn't really see any great results? I've been pretty pleased with my putting, but wonder if it can be better, or if I should scrap the arm lock?
JH
If you are seeing some progress, I would stay with it. Any consistent strike point is relatively easy to deal with. For example, if you used the arm lock with an 8802 and hit it in the heel you would be in great shape.

jh

I played a qualifier Monday, played great, just couldn't score. Very please with my putting. I noticed my right shoulder would be setup closed, and wondered if that would cause a heel miss? So I always check my shoulder and seems to have improved! I believe I will stick with my current arm lock setup!

JunkerJorge

Greatest piece of advice ever given to me when it comes to putting/chipping...maintaining the majority to if not almost all your grip pressure with your left pinky, ring, and middle fingers. Being left handed will make this even simpler. I’m yet to find someone who hasn’t seen instant results around the greens while keeping that in mind.
I have a right hand powered stroke and if my left hand gets tight I tend to get wrist cock and take the putter outside the line in the backstroke, then all sorts of gnarly things can happen on the through stroke. I have to think of my left hand as being just a guide. I use the mental image/feel of shooting a free-throw. As they say, different strokes.

jh

JH
If you are seeing some progress, I would stay with it. Any consistent strike point is relatively easy to deal with. For example, if you used the arm lock with an 8802 and hit it in the heel you would be in great shape.
Still seem like the pull is my predominate miss, just straight left off the face. Short putts are very solid, and speed control has improved greatly. I really don't think the putter is too upright. Sometimes I feel like my right shoulder is way closed, if I can catch it at address I tend to be ok. If I could fix this heel miss, I think I'm golden.

bargolf

Arm lock forces the path to follow the shoulder alignment. Make sure you aim the putter and align your upper body before you set your feet. Sounds like you are reaching with your arms to a forward ball position?

jh

Arm lock forces the path to follow the shoulder alignment. Make sure you aim the putter and align your upper body before you set your feet. Sounds like you are reaching with your arms to a forward ball position?
YES! That's exactly what I'm doing! Should the putter head be in the center of my stance?

bargolf

Not necessarily, Sole the putter in the aimed position. Make sure your shoulders are parallel to aim line, then set your feet.

If you can't get your shoulders square, adjust how your hands fit on the grip. For example, you might need a stronger (clockwise rotation) right hand position to get the right shoulder back in place.

jh

WILL DO! Thanks Bruce, this makes so much sense!!! I'll keep you updated!