Arm Lock Basics?

ajp12286

I'm planning to try arm lock putting for at least the first few months of the season. I've done some tinkering & think I have the general idea. But are there any specific tips or tricks folks would recommend?

bargolf

I will get to work. First, know that length and LOFT are the critical components to get right. In particular, how much shaft lean you will use. I have heard some real stories about players trying to get it right on the tour. I also suggest using the claw with the arm lock. easier to get your hands on the club.

PJ

I’ve gone through two “bouts” of arm lock. Ball position (left<->right) is very important and dictates (once set) how much loft you need, since shaft lean changes with ball position. My first arm lock putter (Bettinardi Kuchar model) I had the ball forward toward left toe, and the arc of my stroke ended up making shut face pulls my common miss. My second arm lock was a Bio-Mech which kind of makes you use a SBST stroke. I positioned the ball more center and had a little better success. In the end, SBST was not really my natural stroke path so I’m back to a more conventional putter.

Tinkered with the arm lock a bit. Used a Sik putter. Just couldn't ever get comfortable on long putts. Putter kept coming off my arm on follow through. I'm more of a feel putter, so I gave it up

ajp12286

I’ve been tinkering indoors & like the results so far. Only two problems. First is alignment. I feel like my shoulders are wide open. Second, does anyone know how bent your back wrist should be? Mine has been ending up at a pretty extreme angle (which leads me to think I’m doing something wrong in the setup...)

Yes my shoulders were open as well. Try getting in front of a mirror, grabbing the putter first like you are addressing the ball, then just bend over from the hips from there. My left wrist (I'm right handed) was cocked pretty hard outward it felt like to me in order to keep the putter locked on my arm. You can also apply pressure with the other hand to keep the putter on the arm. All these things are reasons I just had to give it up. Everything felt so forced and stiff. But it wasn't wrong, that is how it works. It just didn't feel good to me.

MattM97

Tinkered with the arm lock a bit. Used a Sik putter. Just couldn't ever get comfortable on long putts. Putter kept coming off my arm on follow through. I'm more of a feel putter, so I gave it up
Aside from the arm lock not working how are the Sik putters? For some reason I'm really interested in those.

I thought the Sik putter was sweet! I like their putters a lot. Heavier head weight on their putters which I like. Glad to see Bryson DeChambeau help get their name out there

MattM97

I thought the Sik putter was sweet! I like their putters a lot. Heavier head weight on their putters which I like. Glad to see Bryson DeChambeau help get their name out there
Good to know, I'd like to get one but no LH models right now, but they were teasing a few pics after a lefty tour player wanted to try out Sik putters. So maybe in the future or if I ask nicely I could get one.

jh

I'm contemplating trying one myself! I play right handed, but I'm left handed, so I like to have my left hand do the work, with a straight left arm. I feel like this really adds stability to my leading left arm. Haven't purchased yet, but I might give it a try for a few months.