612/615 Measurements

paulman21

Hey all. I've been tossing around the idea of getting my first custom putter. I'm fairly particular about what I look at while putting and was looking to get some basic measurements of a 612 and 615. I've never seen them in person so I'm trying to get an idea of how they compare to my current putter. I'm most interested in topline thickness, face depth (bottom to topline), width (leading to trailing edges) and length (toe to heel). Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

fharbist

I know this has been posted on several times and hopefully there are older threads you can find with specs, photos, etc. I know I did one comparing 612, 615 and 006. I don't have any 615s any longer to redo that exercise/photos, but by memory the big difference is the narrow top line of the 612. The 612 may also be slightly narrower in total, and lots of other subtle differences (rocker sole vs. tri-plane; amount of standard offset on plumbers necks, etc.), but to me the top line is the biggest contrast.

Good luck. Can't go wrong with anything from Byron IMO

dans4fun

:):):)

Here is a link that talks about the difference.
Unfortunately the link to my photo comparisons does not seem to be working.
Maybe someone can get it to work. Otherwise I would have to try to dig out the pics.

Dan

Oneputt

Here is a link that talks about the difference.
Unfortunately the link to my photo comparisons does not seem to be working.
Maybe someone can get it to work. Otherwise I would have to try to dig out the pics.

Dan
The link you provided worked for me, at least it revealed the comparison photos FHARBIST had posted. Thanks.

Oneputt

I know this has been posted on several times and hopefully there are older threads you can find with specs, photos, etc. I know I did one comparing 612, 615 and 006. I don't have any 615s any longer to redo that exercise/photos, but by memory the big difference is the narrow top line of the 612. The 612 may also be slightly narrower in total, and lots of other subtle differences (rocker sole vs. tri-plane; amount of standard offset on plumbers necks, etc.), but to me the top line is the biggest contrast.

Good luck. Can't go wrong with anything from Byron IMO
The comparison photos you posted back in April of 2016 I think were probably very helpful to people, so thank you.

Huntard

Let's talk about drivers! I mean putters!
This is my thread on the very topic.

paulman21

Thanks, all. I tried to do my research before asking this question and did run across these threads. What I didn't run across were actual measurements. Like I said, I'm particular with what I look at and have found a shape/size I like, just not the alignment aids, stamping, weight, etc (hence going custom). While I can compare the 612 to 615, I don't know how they compare to the shape/size I like looking at. Maybe the 612 topline is too thin. Maybe the 615 topline is too thick. I just don't know without having one in my hands (the best case) or measurements to compare (2nd best). Does that make sense?

Oneputt

Thanks, all. I tried to do my research before asking this question and did run across these threads. What I didn't run across were actual measurements. Like I said, I'm particular with what I look at and have found a shape/size I like, just not the alignment aids, stamping, weight, etc (hence going custom). While I can compare the 612 to 615, I don't know how they compare to the shape/size I like looking at. Maybe the 612 topline is too thin. Maybe the 615 topline is too thick. I just don't know without having one in my hands (the best case) or measurements to compare (2nd best). Does that make sense?
Which putter brand model size/shape do you like? If you provide a model name or two someone here may be able to compare that to the Byron 612 and, or, 615 .

paulman21

Which putter brand model size/shape do you like? If you provide a model name or two someone here may be able to compare that to the Byron 612 and, or, 615 .
I wasn't sure of the rules on discussing other manufacturers putters in the Byron forum...so I was trying to be vague. I really like the shape at address and topline of the 2nd Gen Cameron Timeless...not to be confused with the T2 Timeless. I wouldn't like much more face depth, though.

Oneputt

I wasn't sure of the rules on discussing other manufacturers putters in the Byron forum...so I was trying to be vague. I really like the shape at address and topline of the 2nd Gen Cameron Timeless...not to be confused with the T2 Timeless. I wouldn't like much more face depth, though.
As far as I know, in any section of this forum, discussing any and all putter brands is permitted.
Why not contact Byron and let him know your putter specifications and preferences? His email is byron@byronputters.com

paulman21

Thanks, Dan. Did you have any handwork done to these (Tai treatment, etc.)? The corners on that 006 look significantly rounder than the 612 and 615. A measurement of topline thickness on the 006 would be great. I can compare from there. Thanks!

dans4fun

I can finally help you..
I did have Byron rework the putter. Seems like he remilled the face, and yes The Tai treatment was applied to the 006. For you newbies, Tai was an active poster on the site. Several years ago he suggested Byron soften the edges a little and hence the term "Tai Treatment".
For a special treat search Tai's Damascus Byron's. Best looking putters that I've ever seen.
FYI. Tai's 4 iron was about the same distance as my driver.
006 topline 1/4", face to flange 1".
615 was a test putter that I do not own.
612 was a putter that I had for a while, but had Byron rework, then became a gift for my brother.
The cavity on the 612 is pretty shallow. Which accounts for the really thin topline.
As mentioned previously by another poster, email Byron. He can build the putter exactly, did I say exactly, as you would like.
Sorry it took so long.
Dan

Oneputt

I can finally help you..
I did have Byron rework the putter. Seems like he remilled the face, and yes The Tai treatment was applied to the 006. For you newbies, Tai was an active poster on the site. Several years ago he suggested Byron soften the edges a little and hence the term "Tai Treatment".
For a special treat search Tai's Damascus Byron's. Best looking putters that I've ever seen.
FYI. Tai's 4 iron was about the same distance as my driver.
006 topline 1/4", face to flange 1".
615 was a test putter that I do not own.
612 was a putter that I had for a while, but had Byron rework, then became a gift for my brother.
The cavity on the 612 is pretty shallow. Which accounts for the really thin topline.
As mentioned previously by another poster, email Byron. He can build the putter exactly, did I say exactly, as you would like.
Sorry it took so long.
Dan
If you've compared a DH89 impact sound to a 612, i am curious if one sounds louder/clicker than the other ?
My observation is that thinner top line putters usually have a louder/ more crisp impact sound that thicker top line putters.