Author Topic: San Diego  (Read 9656 times)

glenwayputters

San Diego
« on: April 30, 2008, 11:22:57 PM »
I already have a round set up at Aviara on wednesday when i get in, but need a place to play on thursday afternoon and friday.

any suggestions? or anyone want to play?

jay
Feel free to call me any time, 704-879-9477

email = jay@piedmontleather.com

Jay

RIDE

Re: San Diego
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 11:27:37 PM »
Looks like I will miss you by about a week or so!  I will be down there starting the 13th.  May not be able to bring my sticks though :(  Would have loved to get in a round with you Jay!

Some day though!

RIDE

PERFECTPINGS

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 11:42:02 PM »
Maderus is one of the nices tracks i have ever played and cross creek is a awesome course for a fraction of the price of most nice courses in the area.

Bullseye

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 01:04:07 PM »
I went to USD.  Got to play Torrey for $19 with a student ID.

Steele Canyon was a nice course if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 01:05:41 PM by Bullseye »

Bullseye

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 01:06:30 PM »

glenwayputters

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »
I went to USD.  Got to play Torrey for $19 with a student ID.

Steele Canyon was a nice course if I remember correctly.

I have heard good things about Steele Canyon.

will probably check that one out.

jay

Jay

JimmyGalls

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 02:02:48 PM »
Some people get to have all the fun....

:P
Gamer:  Tour Odyssey Long Neck Raw black series I #1

nvgolfdude

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 09:39:21 PM »
Try Twin Oaks Golf Course in San Marcos, just north of SD.  The company that I worked for at the time built the golf course.  Great layout, and the rates look reasonable (< $100 on the weekends).

http://www.jcgolf.com/courses-twinoaks.php
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

TxGolfer

• E-3 Sentry AWACS---------Cougar
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 11:38:06 PM »
Uhm.....Torrey Pines.  If you haven't played, both courses are great.

BTW....San Diego in German means Whales Vagina..... :laugh:

glenwayputters

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 11:40:11 PM »

too much of an up-charge to play at Torrey a month before the open.

I think I have found two pretty good tracks.

What is the weather like this time of year?

jay

Jay

TxGolfer

• E-3 Sentry AWACS---------Cougar
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 11:48:06 PM »
Can you get the "local" rate?

Weather...its San Diego, its nice all the time.  Depending on what time you play, I would be prepared for a little cool weather and possibly some rain.  Just stuff your bag with extra clothes.

Enjoy and hit'em well.

too much of an up-charge to play at Torrey a month before the open.

I think I have found two pretty good tracks.

What is the weather like this time of year?

jay

glenwayputters

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 11:54:43 PM »
Carlton Oaks is a good track, has it's own Amen Corner. Weather varies depending on the marine layer but is should be nice depending on what time of day you play. Usually the marine layer burns off by noon but if you're more inland it shouldn't be a problem. Most courses were punched a few weeks back so they should be recovered by now. Nikki and I played Twin Oaks a couple of weeks back; there's a lot nicer tracks to play if you come all this way. What about Pelican Hill; it's a little further up the coast but it's worth the drive. Have fun!!

Prich

I have all day wednesday and all day friday to play. 

don't mind spending a little more to play some place nice, but there is a budget.

I will take all of the pointers on good courses I can get.

jay

Jay

Nash

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 07:14:51 AM »
Pelican Hill is a nice course with delusions of grandeur, 300>. If you end up in south OC, try Arroyo Trabuco.

I'd just stick to SD and North County. Twin Oaks was looking a little ragged last month. Encinitas Ranch is fun with ocean breezes, I particularly enjoy #16.

One thing about SD, the weather is almost always perfect.

bb92069

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 09:39:20 AM »
Jay
Barona Creek is a great course and worth the drive to Lakeside. Join the slot club and you get 20% off.   Maderas is also fun and usually in tour quality shape.  If you are staying in North County, Encinitas Ranch and Arrowood are good choices.  No offense to Twin Oaks recommendation but I live in San Marcos and rarely play the course.  Not worth your time.  While we have great weather here most of the time (even though it was 103 degrees on Monday with wildfires) the courses are just ok IMO.  With all being said, if Barona hasn't been punched, I would go play there. 
Would like to play, but schedule is too unpredictable and wouldn't want to leave you hanging.
Brad

nvgolfdude

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 11:21:40 AM »
Brad,

No offense taken.  I have not played the course since '97 or '98.  I enjoy the layout, but I then again I enjoy shot makers' courses where you can't just step up and hit driver off tee of every par 4 and 5.  It's too bad that JC is not keeping the course in better condition.  The course was built by Ryland Homes in the early 90's and dedicated to the city of San Marcos. - Dave
...No offense to Twin Oaks recommendation but I live in San Marcos and rarely play the course.  Not worth your time... 
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

bb92069

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 12:04:06 PM »
Maybe I don't like it because I am usually 3-5 over par after those first four holes. 
Brad

heart

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 05:21:38 PM »
Torrey is brutal right now. I believe that you might hear some complaints from the tour players as they try to navigate a Torrey Pines course very different from the one that Tiger normally dominates. At least they recently decided to widen the fairways a little.

Nash

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 08:56:40 PM »
Gman

I don't understand the wind at Twin Oaks. No matter which direction you are playing, the wind is in your face. Rec Park in Long Beach is the same way.

One of the mysteries of life.

glenwayputters

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 09:19:25 PM »
I am staying at the Hyatt downtown and would like to play in that end of San Diego on Wednesday, as I have somewhere to be on wednesday night.

Steele Canyon is looking like the best place.

jay

Jay

jrg

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 02:32:04 AM »
I am a member of Shadow Ridge in North SD County (Vista)  It is a good course and lots of golf reps are members
If you could The Farms is a great course but hard to get on

potuna

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 06:02:40 PM »

Does not, what are you smoking
Byron 615 SS
Bettinardi BB-5 Al/Br PN

potuna

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 06:03:47 PM »
I am staying at the Hyatt downtown and would like to play in that end of San Diego on Wednesday, as I have somewhere to be on wednesday night.

jay
Jay sorry I missed you, would have loved to swing it with you.
Byron 615 SS
Bettinardi BB-5 Al/Br PN

glenwayputters

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 06:46:37 PM »

jay
Jay sorry I missed you, would have loved to swing it with you.

Sorry I missed you too, Pete.

I wound up at Steele Canyon and Aviara.

Jay

Jay

Mr. Doug

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »

I'm not sure anyone really knows what it means anymore...
::: currently fixing all the things that have been bugging me for months :::

iballman

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 08:53:04 PM »
Planning a quick trip with the wife in the middle of Feb.  2 days of golf and 1 day of wildlife park.  Any nice hotel/resort recs?  Considering Rancho Bernardo Inn, playing where ever.

Additionaly, any options of renting decent clubs down there from a 3rd party for the few days as opposed to renting from each course.  Course's clubs are usually suck and are expensive.
Patrick Gibbons makes one darn good scorecard holder.  Some serious goods there.  Top notch.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 12:08:41 AM »
Andy, I don't know about club rentals, but if you are staying at the RB Inn, play golf there.  It's a great older course.  There's always Torrey, and I like the San Marcos golf course, but I'm a bit biased.  Once upon a time in another work life, we built it.  ;)
nvgolfdude@live.com