Author Topic: A very special SRC custome cover  (Read 514 times)

braehead

A very special SRC custome cover
« on: January 05, 2019, 09:00:53 AM »
First a little bit of background. My name is Keith and I'm a member based in scotland. I've got three daughters. My middle girl, Arabella, if the keenest golfer.  Unfortunately she was diagnosed with leukaemia back in Dec 2016 when she was just 8 years old.  She's had to give up a lot of things she used to enjoy but she's been able to keep practicing her golf at the local range.  She doesn't get out on the course much because she gets tired quickly and can't really cope with the walk. The therapy for leukaemia is bloody tough and she's had some hard tiles over the last two years but coming to the range and battering the hell out of some balls is a good way of venting some frustration. 

During late 17 early 18 we became aware of a young English golfer called Jonathan (Jigger) Thomson.  Like Arabella he had been diagnosed with leukaemia when he was 7.  Not only had he subsequently defeated the disease but he now stood 6'9.5" and had just qualifies for the European Tour!  I showed Arabella some of the stories about Jigger.  It's massively uplifting for all of us to hear about kids that have beaten leukaemia and gone on to live their dreams.  Arabella wanted to get in touch with Jigger just to say hello really and how encouraging his story was to her.  It wasn't an easy task but I know someone who knows someone etc and we managed to get an email address and wrote him a letter.

We never really expected to hear anything back and never sent the email expecting anything.  It was really just to say how inspirational his story was for other kids with leukaemia and to wish him luck for his first year on tour.  We were so please when he did in fact write back and has kept in touch since despite his very busy schedule.  A highlight of 2018 for Arabella was meeting Jigger and his girlfriend at the Dunhill Championship in October.  What an amazing and nice young man / couple.  Taking the time to meet a complete stranger and take her for ice cream is a gesture we will never forget.  Arabella was very nervous but after a few minutes they were having a good old chat.  It was a steroid week for Arabella which Jigger will attest to can be be rather challenging (can have a big personality impact, not in a good way!).

We wanted to do something to thank Jigger for his kindness and having taken so much time over 2018 to keep in touch with us.  The little notes now and again have meant a lot and meeting in person really topped it off.  Having bought a cover of my own from SRC and knowing about the custom service we thought a putter cover would be a good idea.  We contacted Emma and discussed what we were thinking of - a cover in our family tartan with Jiggers name and logo and a gold ribbon (the symbol of childhood cancer awareness).  They certainly didn't disappoint and we were blown away when the cover arrived.  Stupidly I didn't take any photos of it.  I just let Arabella see it then packed it up and sent it off in time for Christmas.  Hopefully Scott will add some photos below.  In hindsight I should really have ordered another one for myself because the finished cover is just great and I want one now too!

Anyway, this was a bit of a ramble but I hope you like the story and if you ever want "something special" rest assured that the team at SRC will deliver!

src

• Scott Readman Concepts
Re: A very special SRC custome cover
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 09:37:31 AM »
Obviously it was a pleasure to make this cover, its an amazing story full of amazing people.

I would like to pass on the warmest of regards from myself and Emma to your family and Jigger and we wish you all the best for the future.

braehead

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 10:09:17 AM »
Here's a photo of when Arabella met Jigger

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 07:44:59 PM »
Great cover, GREAT story and a bunch of truly generous, inspirational people.

Scott & Co never fail to please.

My thoughts, prayers and dud golf advice to Arabella the CHAMPION!! 🏆

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

LionGolfer

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 09:28:04 PM »
Braehead, thank you for this sharing.  My thoughts and blessings with you, Arabella, and family.  Stay strong.
Benock Pantaleone
BPutters Scuderio Minio
Golds Factory Private Stock 2
Kitada Slighter Tuned
Machine Big Bore, M1A Damascus Ocean Wave "Vivere", M2A Carbon "Casanova", M10 Damascus Tidal Wave
Nead 991 Mini, Damascus Mini
Scotty Monterey
Slighter Seattle
TP Mills Peppi
Xenon Stealth, Copper Cheese

Cols_Ears

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
Good write up Keith. I know you told me the story before but good to hear it again.

Jigger sounds like a really great bloke, and looks like Emma and Scott smashed it out of the park again.
Ping G400 10.5° with PX HC HzRdus Yellow 6.0
Exotics E8Beta 16.5° with Accra SC95 (Stiff)
PXG 0311X 2i Aerotech Steelfiber 110 F4
Ping iBlades 4-PW KBS Tour S
SCOR 4161 Wedges 50°/54°/58° KBS Wedge Stiff
MannMade MA66 FN / James Ingles 12g Custom Flow Neck / Tad Moore Hoffman Blade / Rife BiMini

braehead

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 01:00:52 PM »
Good write up Keith. I know you told me the story before but good to hear it again.

Jigger sounds like a really great bloke, and looks like Emma and Scott smashed it out of the park again.
Thanks Col, you're absolutely right. The cover is a total cracker and I really should get one myself too to celebrate end of treatment for Arabella when it comes.  Jigger is a great lad and I'm sure we'll all hear a lot about him in the years to come.

fharbist

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 03:34:33 PM »
Great story.  Thanks very much for sharing.  We all hope to hear continuing positive news about Arabella.