Author Topic: Which one to use?  (Read 388 times)

bogie

Which one to use?
« on: September 26, 2018, 05:51:40 PM »
I have noticed most here have more than one putter. I was curious as to how others decide which one to use on any given day. I was planning on using my DH-89 most days. But after I got my 612 and practiced a lot with it I can use either one. Monday I used my 612 and putted super with it sinking a long putt on the last hole for par and lipped out a long one on the first hole for birdie. In between I putted great. Now I have the 615 being re-shafted in a few hours this can be a hard decision. I don't use my BB2 hardly ever and the Slighter is in semi-retirement for the moment. Byron's putter FEEL so good and are my specs so that's what I am using. I just have to figure out a rotation.  :D
Corporate Golf is Golf without a soul.

Bettinardi BB2 350 3-Slot
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615
Slighter Ninja XM-19 Putter #1

Oneputt

Re: Which one to use?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 11:20:13 PM »
My Byron Morgan DH89's all have the same length-lie-loft etc... The differences are the type of steel and finish.
Most often I play the one with the brushed stainless finish.

fharbist

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 12:33:37 PM »
I don't know that I have any methodology in terms of which putter I use.  For the sake of consistency, I try to stay with one for at least some period of sustainable time to get a common feel, confidence, etc.  However, if I have a couple of bad putting days in a row I might swap something else in to shake things up.  Also, if I'm playing a casual round with friends sometimes I'll pull out a new one just to have the banter and conversation about it with my playing partners (who are also putter nuts).  All of this usually leads to using about 3-5 different putters during the course of a year (12 month season here in California).

That's about it.  Kind of an embarrassment of riches to be able to do this with multiple (in my case) Byron Morgans...

fharbist

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 12:35:07 PM »
BTW, those are some awesome 89s above ^^^

Oneputt

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 01:16:41 PM »
BTW, those are some awesome 89s above ^^^

Yep, Byron does great work , that is for sure.

lowsparkco

• rolling the rock
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 02:54:48 PM »
I use a Byron Morgan DH-89, matte stainless, no sight aids - and although I putt at home with other putters in my collection of different shapes, weights, etc. -  I always use the DH-89 on the golf course.  Just found I am more successful that way.  I recently built a PING dalehead Anser 1 to match the dimensions, but it will be 15 or so grams lighter and I *might* put that into play - it will definitely be a second bag vacation putter when I fly, but I'm thinking I might play it on slower greens locally, too.
Spaulding TP Mills No. 10
SC Circa 62 No. 2 Hand stamped "Matt"
SC Newport Classic
Byron Morgan DH 89

nvgolfdude

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 11:51:54 PM »
I have a very nice line up of Byron putters.  Each of them unique in their own way, but all with the same set up (length, lie, loft).  There are some variations in head weight, finish, face milling that impact performance.  Mostly, I putt with my very rare GSS Bombora.  When the Bombora and I are not simpatico then I go to the copper Epic Day.  In short putt with the one that gets the ball in the hole in the fewest number of strokes.
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

bogie

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 08:17:06 PM »
My Byron Morgan DH89's all have the same length-lie-loft etc... The differences are the type of steel and finish.
Most often I play the one with the brushed stainless finish.

Yes, those are all real beauties! It's hard to beat a brushed stainless finish.

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

bogie

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 08:25:43 PM »
I use a Byron Morgan DH-89, matte stainless, no sight aids - and although I putt at home with other putters in my collection of different shapes, weights, etc. -  I always use the DH-89 on the golf course.  Just found I am more successful that way.  I recently built a PING dalehead Anser 1 to match the dimensions, but it will be 15 or so grams lighter and I *might* put that into play - it will definitely be a second bag vacation putter when I fly, but I'm thinking I might play it on slower greens locally, too.

If it's a real important game I will use my DH-89. I used the 615 today and putted well with it especially the first time out on the course. The shaft arrived two days later than expected.
You must have access to a mill, interesting.  :)

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

Oneputt

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 08:32:40 PM »
Another photo of the same foursome of DH89's.
I treasure these putters  :)