Author Topic: Putter Lie Adjustment-Welded Hosel Bombora  (Read 225 times)

bobj9365

Putter Lie Adjustment-Welded Hosel Bombora
« on: September 07, 2018, 06:12:22 PM »
Have recently acquired a Byron Bombora heel shafted putter with a welded hosel. I did not think about it before, but assumed I could adjust the lie to meet my needs when I got the putter. My "club guy" advised me that because its a welded neck, he did not think it could be bent without damaging it. Is that accurate?? Do I have any options?? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

titleistgolf_nirvana

Re: Putter Lie Adjustment-Welded Hosel Bombora
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 06:29:05 PM »
is the neck extremely short or long? I have a club fitter who lives an hour away from me, I have taken several putters to him for loft/lie bending, multiple ones have had welded necks....for the first welded neck he ever did for me he said that they can't be bent as much as non welded necks but i've had him bend one 5 degrees flat and it still wasn't an issue...may depend on the neck itself and it's length or it may just come down to the fitters confidence in his abilities to not snap it but I would be willing to bet that it could be bent at least to some extent
Byron Morgan DH89 Long Plumbers Neck
Byron Morgan GSS DH89
Byron Morgan GSS 612

bobj9365

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 07:30:00 PM »
The neck is a bit longer than either of my other heel shafted putters--one of the newer Wilson 8802s and a Black lab BL-9. I'm not sure if it would be called "extremely" long.

titleistgolf_nirvana

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 07:37:07 PM »
I would assume that it could be bent, how much would probably depend on who you take it to....not sure if byron does loft and lie adjustments if you send them to him but maybe he or one of his guys on here will chime in...there are quite a few putter custom shops that I would be willing to bet would take this task on if he doesn't....hope you get it figured out, byrons are the bomb, I won't game anything else
Byron Morgan DH89 Long Plumbers Neck
Byron Morgan GSS DH89
Byron Morgan GSS 612

bobj9365

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 07:42:01 PM »
Just sent Byron a note. Hoping...best feeling putter I've had!! Thanks for chiming in.

fharbist

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 01:13:40 PM »
Consistent with the comment(s) above, I believe it can be bent up to a certain degree.  I'm not sure many putter makers or club fitters/shops will take the job, however, due to potential liability.  Nobody wants to be responsible if it breaks off...

It's also possible to do it yourself.  I have bent at least three necks successfully (welded flow necks) to reduce offset, but also have broken one off (on a great Bettinardi, too).  So this path is not without risk as well. 

For what it's worth, I would think bending for lie angle is easier than for offset - one bend vs. two...

In case you're interested, here's an old thread where I discussed bending the hosel with this community.  Some great comments, including from a custom maker (whose advice I followed successfully!!).  GOOD LUCK

http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=45155.0

bobj9365

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 02:07:33 PM »
Found someone to do it, and we're all set!! Appreciate all the replies and suggestions. I did hear from Byron, and he said it could be re-welded if things went wrong, so we had a backup plan!

bogie

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 10:40:54 PM »
That was great that Byron let you know he will take care of your putter.
Corporate Golf is Golf without a soul.

Bettinardi BB2 350 3-Slot
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Slighter Ninja XM-19
Scotty Cameron 2008 Newport 2