Author Topic: My new SRC  (Read 324 times)

golftech

My new SRC
« on: August 12, 2018, 02:41:43 AM »
At Celtic Manor today and surprised to find a nice selection of SRC putters to test.  Very solid (extremely solid) feeling, distinctive lower pitch sound and an excellent roll off the putter face.  Couldn’t resist buying one and would love to get more information from Mr Readman on possible specs. 

After years of 36” putters (thanks to Utley and Shannon influence), I surprisenly adjusted quickly to 34” and made ALOT of putts at the Celtic Manor 2010 course.  Felt like Brad Faxon either scaring the hole on every putt (or making them).  The putter does feel a little light and thought most SRC’s were 350-370 range.  This feels more in 330-340 range (nothing a little lead tape can’t solve!).  Not sure about the sea snake grip although handled the rain well.   These SRC’s really produce a great roll, just outstanding feel and balance. 

braehead

Re: My new SRC
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 05:34:54 AM »
Nice!  If it's working, why change anything about it?

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 04:23:18 PM »
Excellent! I also have one with the sea snake grip and love it!
Xenon X, Element, SRC blade
Mann MA66, Super Sport, Rattler
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612, B17
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
RJB7784, RJB8143

golftech

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 06:55:08 PM »
How has your sea snake grip broken in?  I’m finding this ons a little slick/dry except in the rain yesterday.  I’m wondering in there are any natural oils in the skin that come out over time and make it tackier. 

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 06:57:52 PM »
Mine has broken in like any best grips/leather grip.
I like the way mine feels cool and dry.
I am not a fan of tacky feeling grips in general - the stickiest grip I game are mid sized pure grips on my Byrons.
Xenon X, Element, SRC blade
Mann MA66, Super Sport, Rattler
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612, B17
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
RJB7784, RJB8143

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 05:47:25 AM »
That is a beautiful putter - congratulations.

I agree with above - if it's not broken don't fix it. Contrary to what most people think, many of the Touring Pros - Fowler, Rory, Tiger all have lighter putters.  :)

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

src

• Scott Readman Concepts
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 07:48:42 AM »
Believe it or not that head will be 365g+  ;)

Snakeskin grips are fairly firm and sort of slick, so are snakes I guess. They probably wont tack up that much.

golftech

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 08:41:33 AM »
Thanks Scott.  I’ve been putting 360-370 gram heads on 36” length for a long time.  My SRC just ‘felt’ lighter at 34”.  I am amazed in just two rounds how I’ve adjusted to the shorter length.  The swan neck sets up so nicely, with the white alignment circle and red dots on each side frames the setup well.
It is an awesome putter and the roll is simply amazing - finally understand what rolling a ‘heavy’ ball is about.  I always loved how Crenshaw, Roberts and Faxon rolled it - the ball just hugging the ground.  The SRC rolls like that.

src

• Scott Readman Concepts
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 08:58:47 AM »
To be fair if you have been rolling 360-370g at 36" a sledge hammer would probably feel fairly light !!! Pretty sure it was 370g headweight but the new 34" length it will feel lighter for sure.

Glad you like it babber. ;D

golftech

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »
Fair comments...especially since I was gaming a Cameron Dual Balance with an additional 40 grams heavier weights than the heavy ones that came with putter.  It’s a nice practice tool, but not a refined flat stick. 

wrbush31

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 10:54:44 PM »
I consider myself to be the foremost expert of the SWC putter model outside of Readman himself. (Thankfully Emma doesn’t check PT, but I’m sure I’ll pay for this statement.)

One thing I’ll say is that they “hide their weight well.” I have a few and they’re all in the 350-360 Range, but the balance paired with the swan necks tends to make them not seem as clunky or “overly present” as putters of similar weights may feel. Even if it feels light, I bet you’ve noticed the head tracks absurdly well through the stroke, which is largely to do with that weight and neck. The SWC swings SO smooth. I’ll be the first one to tell you I was skeptical of the putter at first sight, but it changed my golf life immediately.

I too will echo Scott’s sentiments of the 370g head on a 36” putter as well.

Can’t help you on the grips. I’ve never been able to do leather grips.

Enjoy that putter. I’ve never putted better with any putter in my life than the SWC. I’ll stand by it til I die.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:56:17 PM by wrbush31 »

golftech

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 02:48:29 AM »
wrbush31,
Thanks for the feedback on SRC’s.  I agree the combination of a very solid head design and swan neck produces one of the best balanced putters I’ve had the privilege to play.  It took only one practice putt at the Celtic Manor shop to realize the balance and lower pitch impact sound resulted in an extremely solid feeling putter, plus how the smaller putter head made alignment easier.  Once on the course I was equally impressed with the quality of the roll.  The ball seemed to roll end-over-end sooner.  Both my distance control and aim improved. I only wish I had discovered SRC’s a few years earlier when I first moved to the UK.  This will definitely not be the only SRC in my collection over time!

wrbush31

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 03:10:56 AM »
wrbush31,
Thanks for the feedback on SRC’s.  I agree the combination of a very solid head design and swan neck produces one of the best balanced putters I’ve had the privilege to play.  It took only one practice putt at the Celtic Manor shop to realize the balance and lower pitch impact sound resulted in an extremely solid feeling putter, plus how the smaller putter head made alignment easier.  Once on the course I was equally impressed with the quality of the roll.  The ball seemed to roll end-over-end sooner.  Both my distance control and aim improved. I only wish I had discovered SRC’s a few years earlier when I first moved to the UK.  This will definitely not be the only SRC in my collection over time!

Where did you move from?

Stage1350

• Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 09:51:22 AM »
2" off the putter will reduce the swingweight on a scale by 11-12 points, even though the only weight loss is the 2" of steel putter shaft. 

At 360-370g, it should still be at least an E swingweight, unless that sea snake grip is heavier than normal.  If you aren't 100% about the grip and want to experiment, consider installing a 10-20g backweight and see if that brings back the feel you are used to. 
Adams Damascus 8802
Bettinardi 110Cu BB2
Byron DB Captain Morgan Cu 1/4
Cameron 1996/500 Copper Napa
Giannini 1992 handmade 8802
Lajosi Damascus LP-808
Mills 8802 handmade
Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade
Tad Moore Hoffman 8802 Cu
Wilson DB Arnold Palmer
Xenon 8802 copper handmade #388
Yamada Razor Cu

golftech

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 10:05:30 AM »
wrbush31,

Where did you move from?

Came to London from the US.  East coaster, but moved from the home of Jack Nicklaus, Columbus Ohio.  Many great golf courses, but horrible winters!

wrbush31

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
wrbush31,

Where did you move from?

Came to London from the US.  East coaster, but moved from the home of Jack Nicklaus, Columbus Ohio.  Many great golf courses, but horrible winters!

I’d trade my Chicago winters!

newport2

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 02:44:11 AM »
Nice putter OP

My SRC putter has more choices in headwear than my wife  8)

golftech

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 03:41:31 AM »
Nice putter OP

My SRC putter has more choices in headwear than my wife  8)

Don’t tempt me.  This could end in my divorce if my wife thinks my putter collection could be outnumbered by SRC headcovers!  :)

Beautiful covers, is there a favorite?

newport2

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 05:15:54 PM »
I always gravitate towards the simple brown leather one on the right of the orange one. Love the classic look, use it all the time. They are great headcovers, I've had a lot over the years but the SRCs are the best IMO. Whatever type of putter you're using.  8)