Author Topic: Arm Lock  (Read 295 times)

PJ

Arm Lock
« on: July 08, 2018, 03:27:59 AM »
Bruce, does an arm lock technique with the handle touching the left forearm follow the same mechanics and rules for amount of putter head rotation?  Since the motion of the handle is constrained and must remain parallel to the forearm, I’m wondering if the rotation remains totally a function of the plane angle, or is somehow reduced or amplified?

Also, what are the keys to fitting an arm lock putter?  In the past when I’ve screwed around with this, I’ve had difficulty arriving at a correct length and loft.  And I feel like I need a secondary “therapy” along with it ie LHL or claw grip.

Thanks!
Scott Readman Concepts hand made, Head Speed shaft

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
Re: Arm Lock
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 02:15:22 PM »
Hi PJ - the amount of rotation is defined entirely by the distance to the ball with an armlock. I have been working with the BioMech Sports version (https://www.biomechgolf.com/?v=7516fd43adaa)  and we see the amount of rotation we would expect for the posture and distance to the ball. Compares to what you would see with the belly putter. In other words square to the arc rather than square to the target line.

The putter must anchor below the elbow by rule. So we start with two inches below the elbow bend with the player standing upright.

That "therapy" you are seeking is a third point of contact. 1. Feet to the ground.  2. Hands on the club. 3. ?
Rule makers have taken away two of the options.

Some of the problems with trying to build an armlock with a conventional head are lack of required headweight, too much forward shaft lean, lack of necessary putter loft.

I like the BioMech because is the face forward design. When your hands are over the ball the face arrives at the same time.

Remember when you go to an armlock technique the shoulders are your source of motion. Locking the putter to your arm makes this easy.

The best combination I have used is locked left arm, claw with the right.
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

PJ

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 07:10:41 PM »
I did not realize that arm lock required shoulders for motive force.  I think my previous foray (with a Bettinardi Kuchar model) I was still right arm motive.  And I would occassionally return to yipping the short ones, always with a pull left, so perhaps the left arm and right were not in sync.

When I was asking about adherence to the same ‘rules’ what I had in mind was shaft axis location in the head to promote the correct amount of rotation.  With the BioMech this seems fixed.  With the belly putter the arc was fixed since the butt was fixed to the body and the putter rotated about this point.  It sounds like with arm lock the center of rotation is moved to the shoulder but the arc is still fixed by the posture and length.  But does this make the geometry of the shaft plane and face a moot point (ie heel shaft and center shaft work the same as long as the grip is fixed to the forearm)?

I like the sound of arm lock plus claw as I am using the claw with a conventional putter today (and when it was legal used a belly putter with claw).  I may try a BioMech.

PJ

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:06:22 PM »
Bruce I’ve been looking into that BioMech Ace putter and I am liking the idea of the face forward.  In the past with arm lock I’ve felt like I ran out of room on the through swing as the hands could not go forward enough and the stroke felt inhibited on longer putts.

My concern about these guys is they seem to espouse a “one size fits most” philosophy.  They have a lie angle where they want your eyeline over the hole in the putter (mid face), upright stance, open stance.  Are you using their stock putter in trials or have you modified it to fit you?  Modifying my setup and stroke to fit their putter goes against everything I’ve come to accept about putting.

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »
PJ - I have 4 lengths and I have been known to bend one every now and again.

The putter is balanced to swing upright. However, when I use one at a flatter lie angle, the fact that is anchored to my arm negates my reaction to balance.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 06:05:29 PM by bargolf »
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

PJ

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 11:18:59 PM »
OK I ordered one.  How do you like their sensor?  The subscription business model for the app is very off-putting for a lone user (me).

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 01:38:34 PM »
PJ I like it as it allows me to see your practice sessions with it. Makes sharing information much easier.

Having said that i know they are working on a version without the subscription.
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP