Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 1085 times)

bogie

Help Please
« on: June 21, 2018, 05:38:12 PM »
I have sold the X-Proto and it's coming back. The buyer claimed it was damaged(the grip). I offered a new grip but that was just an excuse to return the putter. The putter is a bit upright for me and the lie and loft are not what I am used to. Can these be changed? Can Byron do anything to this putter so I can use it rather than try and sell it for a big lose? I see posts where people say they talked to Byron about this and that. I never even received a response from just an email. So would SOMEONE tell me how this is done? Thank you.
PS I ask because the specs are on the sole. If changed they won't match.
Corporate Golf is Golf without a soul.

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615
Slighter Ninja XM-19 Putter #1

titleistgolf_nirvana

Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 07:32:54 PM »
you can definitely have it done, not sure if byron does this service in house or not but there are a bunch of restoration shops that can alter loft and lie pretty easy, I have a guy here in Missouri about an hour away from where I live who runs a golf shop and alters all of my putters for a $5 bill or free if I buy something from him, not sure where you live but more than likely there is a golf shop somewhere relatively close that would be able to perform this service in just a minute or two or you can ship it out for this service
Byron Morgan DH89 Long Plumbers Neck
Byron Morgan GSS DH89
Byron Morgan GSS 612
Byron Morgan 612 CU
Byron Morgan DH89 Damascus

titleistgolf_nirvana

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 07:35:18 PM »
is it the x proto that was on ebay recently? shoot me a message with how much you are looking to get for it, I may be interested
Byron Morgan DH89 Long Plumbers Neck
Byron Morgan GSS DH89
Byron Morgan GSS 612
Byron Morgan 612 CU
Byron Morgan DH89 Damascus

bogie

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 08:22:54 PM »
you can definitely have it done, not sure if byron does this service in house or not but there are a bunch of restoration shops that can alter loft and lie pretty easy, I have a guy here in Missouri about an hour away from where I live who runs a golf shop and alters all of my putters for a $5 bill or free if I buy something from him, not sure where you live but more than likely there is a golf shop somewhere relatively close that would be able to perform this service in just a minute or two or you can ship it out for this service

I wanted to give Byron a chance since it is a Byron Morgan putter. I have used Tom Slighter several times with superb results in the past. We will see if it sells. Unfortunately I live in the mountains in Arizona (Prescott) and the closest real golf shop is over 100 miles away.  :-\  I don't even get to see new equipment. Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

JelUltra

• Section Moderator
  • Mmmm... Buttery Blades!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 08:42:04 PM »
Can I inquire as to how this is giving Byron a chance?
Read it, roll it, hole it.

bogie

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 08:52:19 PM »
I don't understand your question.

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

JelUltra

• Section Moderator
  • Mmmm... Buttery Blades!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 09:53:27 AM »
I misread the posts - I think I understand now, you're looking to have work done to the putter and that you'd prefer that Byron do it, right? 
Read it, roll it, hole it.

fharbist

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 11:56:18 AM »
I have sold the X-Proto and it's coming back. The buyer claimed it was damaged(the grip). I offered a new grip but that was just an excuse to return the putter. The putter is a bit upright for me and the lie and loft are not what I am used to. Can these be changed? Can Byron do anything to this putter so I can use it rather than try and sell it for a big lose? I see posts where people say they talked to Byron about this and that. I never even received a response from just an email. So would SOMEONE tell me how this is done? Thank you.
PS I ask because the specs are on the sole. If changed they won't match.

I have sent several putters back to Byron for various amounts of rework (refinishing, new neck, loft/lie, etc.).  I have always worked directly with Byron via email or text, but the man is busy and one must be patient.  I would also hope that one of his representatives who frequents this forum reads your request and reaches out directly to you. 

BTW, your job seems like a simple bending exercise to adjust lie (and loft?).  Good, high quality pro shops or retailers can do that type of work.  Just make sure they protect the hosel when they do the bending...

The specs not matching the sole afterwards will unfortunately be the case after any work.  But better to have a putter that fits you and that you enjoy using than having the stamping match perfectly (IMO). 

Good luck

bogie

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »
Thanks for the good advise. I am not in any hurry so I'll wait and see. I prefer to have Byron do any adjustment if he will. The closest golf shop to me in over 100 miles away. :( As a DAV it's not an easy drive for me. I only go down to Phoenix for medical reasons.  :)

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

nvgolfdude

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 11:56:21 PM »
Hi Bogie!  As a former Byron rep and longtime friend of Byron, I will confirm what was said in an earlier post - Byron will definitely do this work for you.  While you are awaiting his reply, write up a description of the work you'd like to have done that you can send along with the putter to his shop in Huntington Beach.  As has already been said, Byron is a busy man.  You can always reach out to Z-Man (Steve) as well.  Good luck!  Stay cool in AZ.
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

bogie

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 06:51:23 PM »
This is a very poor time of the year for selling putters so I will keep it for now. Even with the wrong specs I putt well with the x-proto and always have. I was trying to sell it but I may just keep it myself. It is very similar to the 615 and I have a 612 and a DH-89 so I will just have it adjusted. I know it sounds crazy to send it off for just a loft lie adjustment but I would have to send it to Phoenix to get it done. Then I have to worry about marks on the putter and suffer the 114 degree weather and a 200+ mile round trip. Thanks for all the replies and ideas.  :)

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

bogie

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 06:52:18 PM »
I misread the posts - I think I understand now, you're looking to have work done to the putter and that you'd prefer that Byron do it, right?

Right!

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

bogie

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 05:14:51 PM »
I had the X-Proto on eBay and decided to keep it so I canceled the auction. Then I got an email saying someone was just about to place the But It Now bid. So after a few emails and even with my reluctance to sell it they bought the putter so It's gone.
I know if is weird but I felt strange changing the specs that were engraved on the sole. It was always just too upright. Now I am on the road to a 615 either ordered new or used. Then I will be done with putters. Ironically after I sold it I accidentally found ONE person around that can bend putters. I met him in person and he saw my DH-89 and went crazy over it! He teaches locally and has emailed me twice for pictures, just to see again it I guess. He said if I ever sell it to let him have first chance to buy it from me. I am not used to people even looking at my putters but he sure loved the DH-89 which did make me feel very good so I thought I would post this for all to see. You never know who is lusting for your putters.  ;)

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

fharbist

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »
Great story.  The (golfing) world is a weird and crazy place....

bogie

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 09:15:38 PM »
You got that right! He sent me another message about the DH-89 today! So I gave him all the info like Byron's web site, options, etc. Maybe I can get a commission. lol ;)

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

Gava

• Adam Scott - First Aussie To Win The US Masters
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 08:32:43 AM »
I know if is weird but I felt strange changing the specs that were engraved on the sole. It was always just too upright.

Slightly off topic but despite the discussion that continues to pop up in threads, it seems a bold choice to engrave or stamp something permanent on a putter when it could be subject to change.  That goes for specs (aside from head weight), names and initials which all fit in this category. 

I understand this wasn't your custom order but your experience is a reminder of why not to personalize your putter engravings unless you're 150% positive you will keep it.

Just my Friday night 2c over a beer  ;)

I'm a member at The Vines in Western Australia.  Look me up if you are visiting.

bogie

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 02:14:10 PM »
The X-Proto was made that way. That is why I did not want to change it.  So there was no choice for me. I have bought putters with initials and just had them removed in the past. But those were not made that way as the X-Proto was. I do understand your point which an agree it is alway a consideration when custom ordering a putter.   :)

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

Gava

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 03:00:55 PM »
I'm not sure I'm the X-Proto you mention is the putter I am thinking it is.  Sounds quite unique.  Did you post a pic somewhere here?
I'm a member at The Vines in Western Australia.  Look me up if you are visiting.

bogie

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 03:46:21 PM »
Sure.

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

Gava

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 03:53:07 PM »
Ah yes, I remember these.  Cool putter and I see what you mean about the engraved specs.

As others have said, it's really no bother for a pro shop to adjust lie/loft to your preferences and then adjust back later if you decide to sell.  If you're a good customer they'll often do it for little or nothing.

I understand your locality makes that more difficult than most.

bogie

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 04:19:10 PM »
I did finally find one person who can bend clubs locally, by luck.(He's the one that's drooling over my DH-89) If I had known about him I probably would have kept the putter. But I have two of Byron's beauties and either I will order a 615 at some point or I may find one used. I was thinking maybe a plainer one with minimal stampings. We will see. I have been, and still am doing rehab on my back so it's not a rush at this point.
All my putters have rounded top lines. This one didn't and I am wondering if that was one reason I putted so well with it even though the specs were not my preference. So the next one will probably not have the Tia treatment. I kind of miss the X-Proto. :-[

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615