Author Topic: 612 Long Neck  (Read 376 times)

bogie

612 Long Neck
« on: May 08, 2018, 05:32:08 PM »
Here is a pic of the new 612 I just received. My eye aims best with the Tour Blast or light colors. This one is just to make putts with a bit of personalization.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:38:21 PM by bogie »
“"I think it is possible for ordinary people to choose to be extraordinary."– Elon Musk
Bettinardi BB2 350 3-Slot
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan X-Prototype FS
Byron Morgan 612

Oneputt

Re: 612 Long Neck
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 06:12:55 PM »
Here is a pic of the new 612 I just received. My eye aims best with the Tour Blast or light colors. This one is just to make putts with a bit of personalization.

Beauty  :)

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 06:17:01 PM »
Congrats!
Nice hand work!
Xenon X, Element, SRC blade
Mann MA66, Super Sport, Rattler
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612, B17
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
RJB7784, RJB8143

bogie

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:09:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I took it to the practice green and putted great there. I have a little VA league I play in tomorrow so we will see how that goes. I put on a counterbalance Flatso 2.0 as with my other putters and it feels very nice with a great balance.
“"I think it is possible for ordinary people to choose to be extraordinary."– Elon Musk
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612

Gava

• Adam Scott - First Aussie To Win The US Masters
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 10:32:25 AM »
Nice all business gamer there.  Glad early results are promising.
I'm a member at The Vines in Western Australia.  Look me up if you are visiting.

bogie

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 07:32:21 PM »
The long neck sets up perfectly but the long neck makes it feel lighter than my other putters. I wonder what can be done to change this. I may prefer a shorter neck. The head is perfect. At one time I had a long neck putter which was a Bettinardi Mid Slant, no insert, 350 gram headed carbon putter. I bagged that one for years. Now the long neck doesn't seem to fit me. Also I may strip the bottom and have it brushed stainless.
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612

Gava

• Adam Scott - First Aussie To Win The US Masters
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 11:08:21 PM »
I feel your pain.  Establishing your ideal putter specs can be such a subjective thing, even the fitting process.

You can have a SAM analysis, get a SC Gallery fitting, listen to the thoughts of those with the experience and training (eg Bruce Rearick here), hit a few different putters in store, have a personalized fitting in store...etc etc.

I'm better with a mid mallet but am going to get a SC Gallery fitting whilst on vacation in a few weeks and use that to get my exact specs to complete my Byron order (want to put a blade into rotation).  Whilst expensive, I'll only do it once  ;)

Did get yours custom made by Byron?  Even if not there are certainly adjustments that can be made for not a big expense to get it closer to what you need.  Email or pick up the phone and see what you can sort out.

I'm a member at The Vines in Western Australia.  Look me up if you are visiting.

Oneputt

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 01:33:30 AM »
The long neck sets up perfectly but the long neck makes it feel lighter than my other putters. I wonder what can be done to change this. I may prefer a shorter neck. The head is perfect. At one time I had a long neck putter which was a Bettinardi Mid Slant, no insert, 350 gram headed carbon putter. I bagged that one for years. Now the long neck doesn't seem to fit me. Also I may strip the bottom and have it brushed stainless.

Before changing any of the putter specs I suggest putting in a minimum of 5 hours on a practice green, and at least 4 or 5 rounds of golf. Chances are good you will grow accustomed to the putter and begin to feel comfortable swinging it.

bogie

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 02:11:53 PM »
I do practice putting almost daily and have been doing extra duty with this putter. One problem is the practice green is much faster than the course greens due to too much play. I will play a few more rounds with it the way it is before doing anything drastic. I have taken the paint off the face and sole. I then polished the sole and used a satin bar to make a satin finish. I lIghtly polished the face to match my other Byron Morgan putters. That helped some. I feels like it should with the naked face.  :)
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612

kaptain

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »

I had a conversation on this very topic with a friend (as well as Byron himself) a few months ago.  My food scale and some rudimentary math showed me that a plumbers neck plays about 9g heavier than an identical head weight long pipe.  The additional weight comes from the unaccounted for shaft portion resulting from the shorter neck.  I now order plumbers at 330g and long pipes at 340g to get similar playing weight.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:18:31 PM by kaptain »

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 03:43:45 PM »
There is a huge difference on rotational balance between a long pipe and short pipe.

Before you do too much you might pull the counter weight. Get the swingweight back up and get your feel back.

Just for information sake. I usually order face balanced putters a little heavier than anything with any degree of toe down. The reason is the closer you get to a vertical stroke plane the lighter the putter will feel. D5 at a moderate arc feels different than D5 with a minimal arc. Your new putter is built to swing on a more vertical plane with a minimal arc. The change on balance and weight feel is probably the issue.

Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

bogie

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 03:58:18 PM »
One thing I forgot is that the long neck has less toe hang. I have a moderate arc in my putting stroke so this helps make it feel different. I putt best with a plumbers neck. Last year I spent just about every day trying about 6 or more high end different putters for 2-3 months. I finally decided to start eliminating them one at a time. Eventually the putters I had left after 'weeding them out' were putters with a plumbers neck. I have three putters I can game at any time. I have the DH-89 with is in the bag but also putt very well with the X-Proto and the Bettinardi BB2 3 slot. With the small amount of rain we have had they are not going to cut the greens close. So I have to deal with greens with a heavy grain which are unbelievably slow against the grain. Just more of a challenge.  lol
FYI, already tried removing the counterweight w/o success.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:03:42 PM by bogie »
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612