Author Topic: Byron Morgan Damascus B17  (Read 1343 times)

bogie

Byron Morgan Damascus B17
« on: April 15, 2018, 02:08:36 PM »
There is one on eBay for only $2299.00. Byron's putters are going up in value.  :o
Corporate Golf is Golf without a soul.

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615
Slighter Ninja XM-19 Putter #1

Mikey Town

Re: Byron Morgan Damascus B17
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 01:13:42 AM »
There is one on eBay for only $2299.00. Byron's putters are going up in value.  :o

Anyone who’s asked Byron for a quote on a Damascus putter before knows that $2300 isn’t an unfair price.

I saw this one in person, just before he shipped it out... it’s absolutely incredible!

bogie

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 01:25:34 PM »
Is this "welded Damascus"? Yes, it is beautiful but why? I don't have wall space for putters. I cannot see paying that much money for something designed to get the ball in the hole on a putting green. I feel the same about Tiger's backup Cameron selling for 44K too. But that is just me. Someone else might think it is a super deal. A sword made out of Damascus would make a lot more sense since it's famous properties are aimed at making it super hard. American stainless steel work just great for me and I can get two or three great custom made putters for the same price. JMHO
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:27:09 PM by bogie »

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

Mikey Town

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 01:47:01 PM »
Is this "welded Damascus"? Yes, it is beautiful but why? I don't have wall space for putters. I cannot see paying that much money for something designed to get the ball in the hole on a putting green. I feel the same about Tiger's backup Cameron selling for 44K too. But that is just me. Someone else might think it is a super deal. A sword made out of Damascus would make a lot more sense since it's famous properties are aimed at making it super hard. American stainless steel work just great for me and I can get two or three great custom made putters for the same price. JMHO

This is a beautifully crafted piece of functional art, in the form of a putter... Not a putting tool that just turned out to look cool.

The people who are in the market for this type of putter:
1. Appreciate the craftsmanship
2. Like having something different
3. Recognize the collectability of it
4. Have enough disposable income to where this isn't a huge purchase for them

You are clearly not the target market for this piece... and there's nothing wrong with that.  Neither am I (number 4 gets me every time!).

But if you want something "designed to get the ball in the hole on a putting green" just snag a Cleveland HB series putter for $100 and call it a day... but you didn't do that.  You have an American stainless steel milled putter, which cost a lot more than that.  You saw value in that purchase that a lot of other people wouldn't understand.

It's the same thing... just at a different level.

bogie

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 02:11:51 PM »
The DH-89 Byron made for me is a putter I appreciate and think the quality is amazing and beautiful. The next one will be the same or better for me. You are 100% correct that I am not for this extreme market but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the beauty. For me function trumps beauty and I feel mine have both in the putters I own. That's the balance I have been looking for and have found here.  :)

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

jkgolfer724

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 04:20:20 PM »
Another thing to add...just because it's listed at $2300 doesn't necessarily mean it will sell at or near that number...

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 02:23:26 AM »
Can someone please post the link, I can’t find it from eBay Australia - thanks. 👍

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

johnny5

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 07:27:45 AM »
Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Byron-Morgan-Damascus-B17/282925418433?hash=item41dfab47c1:g:mSAAAOSwwBha0oXA

bogie

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

bogie

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 05:49:20 PM »
Let me explain my original post. From what I have read the original Damascus steel formula and technique was lost long ago. In 1981 Duke University claims to have stumbled onto the way they were made by accident. I don't know if that is definitive or not. There is a way called "welded Damascus Steel" which I asked about in my first post but never received an answer.

1. I don't need a Damascus or solid gold putter from Byron to appreciate his skill. I have shown my DH-89 to several pros I know and all thought it was an amazing putter which I agree. I saw Byron's work and immediately recognized his talent.
2. Having a custom made Byron Morgan putter IS having something different regardless of the metal used.
3. I cannot verify the collectability with golf in decline. Also, I don't collect anything golf related I don't or cannot use.
4. No problem.

So my original question is unanswered and I have been playing golf for 58 years. I have picked up a little knowledge over those years.

I just posted a comment trying to get more discussions since this is basically the only golf forum I post anymore and I would like to see it a little more active.  ;D 

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

Mikey Town

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 07:19:32 PM »
- Warning - The following post comes from a place of extreme ignorance and extreme logic, as I have no clue about the Damascus steel creation process.

Weld
verb
1. Join together (metal pieces or parts) by heating the surfaces to the point of melting using a blowtorch, electric arc, or other means, and uniting them by pressing, hammering, etc.
2. Cause to combine and form a harmonious or effective whole.

Since Damascus is a crap-ton (that may, or may not, be a scientific method of measurement) of different layers of steel, that have been joined together to form a single piece; wouldn't that make all damascus steel "welded"?

Logically, yes... I think?

bogie

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 07:38:19 PM »
- Warning - The following post comes from a place of extreme ignorance and extreme logic, as I have no clue about the Damascus steel creation process.

Weld
verb
1. Join together (metal pieces or parts) by heating the surfaces to the point of melting using a blowtorch, electric arc, or other means, and uniting them by pressing, hammering, etc.

Since Damascus is a crap-ton (that may, or may not, be a scientific method of measurement) of different layers of steel, that have been joined together to form a single piece; wouldn't that make all damascus steel "welded"?

NO.

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

Mikey Town

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 07:55:51 PM »

Weld
verb

NO.

What an informative and substance filled post by someone who just said they are "trying to get more discussions" a couple posts back.

I do, however, appreciate the irony of this response coming from someone who took the time to put that Elon Musk quote in their signature.

Cheers,

Mike

bogie

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 08:29:27 PM »
Why are you trying to start and argument? Your negative attitude is not appreciated. I assumed you knew something about Damascus Steel since your first reply. I am sorry I assumed that and you are making me sorry for trying to start an intelligent conversation. I'm done with this post so reply away. I suggest some research so you will understand the subject instead of trying to make this about me. This is why I don't bother with golf forums anymore. It is just not enjoyable thanks to some. 

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615

TrueRoll140

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 09:28:17 PM »
Why are you trying to start and argument? Your negative attitude is not appreciated. I assumed you knew something about Damascus Steel since your first reply. I am sorry I assumed that and you are making me sorry for trying to start an intelligent conversation. I'm done with this post so reply away. I suggest some research so you will understand the subject instead of trying to make this about me. This is why I don't bother with golf forums anymore. It is just not enjoyable thanks to some.
He was just trying to help. No need be so overly sensitive.  :o

TrueRoll140

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 10:34:39 PM »
Wow I just looked at the listing. The sole is insane. The grain looks like something out of the X Files intro haha.

Rob McHugh

• Rob McHugh
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 03:40:21 AM »
Anyone know what the P on the sole indicates?

This poor baby has been around. I had someone on WRX ask me if I was interested in her a little while back and it was the P that put me off.

Thanks,
Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

BombSquad

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 11:51:04 PM »

Weld
verb

Correct. Modern day pattern welded steel ("Damascus" steel) is generally forge welded. They take different types of steel heat them and use pressure (hammer, hydraulic press etc) to forge the layers together.

eddiea54

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 04:10:33 PM »
I think the P was just a personal stamp.  I think there were only 3 of these Damascus B-17's made.  I still have mine, though I was tempted by a watch for it...  Ha.   There are not many Byron  damascus putters out there, let alone on the market, especially in the last 5-10 years.  It might be in the single digits. 
ea.byronputters@gmail.com

www.byronputters.com

The Roll Abides

mglynn10

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 11:49:05 AM »
Hey, my putter made the discussion  ;D

I've owned several Byron's in my time and pictures really do not do justice on this one. The price may seem high to many, but with all my gear, I'm negotiable. Almost everything I sell or trade goes through GolfWRX, but I list on ebay for exposure (not the fees  8)).

If anyone is interested in working something out, shoot me a PM. Plenty of A+ feedback on GolfWRX (mglynn10).

Cheers,
Mike

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 01:05:07 PM »
The greatest concern I would have with Damascus would be feel.  Merging layers of different metals would undoubtedly have a different feel than a solid block of carbon steel or stainless steel.  My preference is carbon steel plated in copper for the soft feel of carbon steel and the lack of oil rag maintenance with the copper plating.  While the copper plating might of a "click" feel to the carbon, it is still pretty soft.

Needless to say, Damascus putters are definitely works of art.  Actually I have read accounts that the art of Damascus steel was reintroduced back in 1973 when Bladesmith William F. Moran unveiled his “Damascus knives” at the Knifemakers’ Guild Show.  Those who have Damascus putters are certain to appreciate the beauty how the merging of the metal comes to life.
Byron Morgan B-17 Secrets Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DaKine Pear Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DH89x Long Pipe GSS
Byron Morgan SS DaKine 8812
Byron Morgan Designed by Captain Morgan, CU SS
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
and a few others

Rob McHugh

• Rob McHugh
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 06:01:08 PM »
I still want to know what the P stands for  :)

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

eddiea54

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 04:35:09 PM »
The greatest concern I would have with Damascus would be feel.  Merging layers of different metals would undoubtedly have a different feel than a solid block of carbon steel or stainless steel.  My preference is carbon steel plated in copper for the soft feel of carbon steel and the lack of oil rag maintenance with the copper plating.  While the copper plating might of a "click" feel to the carbon, it is still pretty soft.

Needless to say, Damascus putters are definitely works of art.  Actually I have read accounts that the art of Damascus steel was reintroduced back in 1973 when Bladesmith William F. Moran unveiled his “Damascus knives” at the Knifemakers’ Guild Show.  Those who have Damascus putters are certain to appreciate the beauty how the merging of the metal comes to life.

It surprised me with my first Byron Damascus... the feel was amazingly soft.  Granted I had the face hand milled deep which played into it.  But, my second Damascus Byron has the standard tuna 4 milling and it's near the same feel.  Soft.   I don't game either of them as I still roll my original SS Byron Bombora. 

ea.byronputters@gmail.com

www.byronputters.com

The Roll Abides

Rob McHugh

• Rob McHugh
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 06:21:58 PM »
Okay, so nobody knows what the green circled P on the sole means?

I am curious as it is not initials, nor a Byron stamp as far as I know.

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob