Author Topic: Byron DH89 Oil Can Order  (Read 698 times)

Lowndes

Byron DH89 Oil Can Order
« on: April 06, 2018, 11:51:40 AM »
Hi all - I'm looking to place my first Byron order for a putter to use as my gamer.  I have another putter that I was custom fitted for but never liked the way it looked or was finished.  I'm going to get a Byron DH89 with Oil Can finish.  I'm debating between using my first name (Douglas) in the back cavity vs. just using Byron.  Anybody have any idea as to what would be a preferred route?

jkgolfer724

Re: Byron DH89 Oil Can Order
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 01:02:46 PM »
If this is your first, I strongly recommend using "Byron" or something less custom/personal. You may love it and it may stay in the bag forever, but chances are you will want to sell it down the road (either for a different brand or a new custom Byron), and putting your name in the cavity will 100% kill resale value.

Just my 2 cents...

fharbist

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 01:08:58 PM »
^^^ +1

Nothing ruins resale like a set of initials.  Many, many, many of us have made that mistake (thinking we will keep the putter forever).  More than likely, you will love your Byron so much that you will get another, and another, and another.  At some point, you are ready to move on from the first one. 

I would venture a guess that 80%+ of the membership here have had some version of this experience

Good luck in whatever you do.  The beauty of all this is that it is YOUR decision.  And Byron and his team are so easy to deal with....

Oneputt

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 03:41:31 PM »
When ordering a custom Byron Morgan the player does not need to have his name or initials on the putter  to "make it his own".
For example, the options of  putter length, loft, lie angle, head weight, finish, stamp options available do (inevitably) make each Byron Morgan putter unique.  :)

Gava

• Adam Scott - First Aussie To Win The US Masters
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 09:08:22 PM »
Agree with the great members above on initials etc.

If you are confident you know your specs, then downloading and printing out the order form is pretty straight forward.  An oil can DH89 is a thing of beauty and if you keep it generic you can still be original.  For some inspiring design combo's, check out MikeyTown or Tai's (Pure745) collaborations with Mr Morgan.  There is also a great reference thread called Byron Morgan Library of photos on wrx.

I had some great assistance from Steve (Z-MAN) when making my  orders a few years back.

Good luck and keep us in the loop on which way you go.
I'm a member at The Vines in Western Australia.  Look me up if you are visiting.

dans4fun

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 12:37:22 AM »
Hey, glad you're ordering a Byron.  I would be hard pressed to sell any of mine.  I think they're all pretty special.

As far as your question.  There are a couple of answers.  First off you say you were custom fitted,   I'm sure that happens a lot. Was it really fit for you.   Bruce. "Bargolf" on this site may be able to assist  in getting the right fit so that your"custom" putter actually ends up being something that works for you.  Last I knew he was working with Byron to make this happen

Bruce, Byron I hope that's still the case.

Most importantly, as already has been mentioned.  That name, those initials, your kids dob are going to cost you if you have to sell, for whatever reason.  A $500 custom might get you $300+/- if you have to sell. (Depends on how bad your name is)

If it's what you want go for it.  It's your special putter.  Do your best to make sure everything is right before the order is finished.

One work of advice.  Anything in the cavity is hard to weld over.  A name on the bumper, or neck for a Plumbers neck might cost $30-50 to weld over depending on what else Byron is doing in the refinish.  If it's a special finish, you will also have to pay for the refinish also.  Polished should be relatively inexpensive for the buyer.

Good luck!  Exciting time!  Try not to think too hard about it not being the right putter, but one you'll never sell. Just make sure it's an easy fix for the new buyer.  No one wants "your initials" on the face of their new Byron putter

Contact Bruce for some good advice before buying.  Hope this helped.

Dan

Gava

• Adam Scott - First Aussie To Win The US Masters
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 12:45:53 AM »
Hey Dan,

Good call on getting Bruce's advice.  He helped me when I ordered my Byron or a little after the fact.  Almost forgot.

Hope he's still offering assistance to Byron customers.
I'm a member at The Vines in Western Australia.  Look me up if you are visiting.

Lowndes

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 10:06:50 AM »
Thanks to everybody for the responses - I really appreciate all the help.  I figured there was a reason most of the putters I was looking at didn’t do what I was thinking about doing.  I’m going to come up with a more simple classic design for this initial purchase.  As far as fitting goes I was custom fit for an Edel several years back and thought the fitting process was great and putt really well with the putter.  I’ve just never liked the way the putter looked and want something fit for my specs but also that I like looking at.  I’m going to send them my current putter to copy as much as possible regarding specs.

Oneputt

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 10:37:45 AM »
Thanks to everybody for the responses - I really appreciate all the help.  I figured there was a reason most of the putters I was looking at didn’t do what I was thinking about doing.  I’m going to come up with a more simple classic design for this initial purchase.  As far as fitting goes I was custom fit for an Edel several years back and thought the fitting process was great and putt really well with the putter.  I’ve just never liked the way the putter looked and want something fit for my specs but also that I like looking at.  I’m going to send them my current putter to copy as much as possible regarding specs.

If your current putter has specs (length, lie, loft. offset etc...) you like and believe fit you, then having your new Byron Morgan matched to those specs is a fine idea.

Lowndes

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 01:43:49 PM »
Thanks for all the help.  I’m about to pull the trigger on my putter.  Two final questions - is the Tai treatment definitely a must on the DH89?  And what are people’s opinions on sound slots?

Oneputt

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 01:55:32 PM »
Thanks for all the help.  I’m about to pull the trigger on my putter.  Two final questions - is the Tai treatment definitely a must on the DH89?  And what are people’s opinions on sound slots?

Personally I like the looks of the standard DH89 head shape.
Sound slots increase feedback by amplifying the impact sound of a mishit putt. Most players do not like the relatively high pitched sound of a mishit putt. If you would like the most sensory feedback possible, then a sound slot may be a good choice for you. If you prefer a softer, more muted impact sound, then you may want a solid head putter (no sound slot).

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 02:01:34 PM »
Hey, glad you're ordering a Byron.  I would be hard pressed to sell any of mine.  I think they're all pretty special.

As far as your question.  There are a couple of answers.  First off you say you were custom fitted,   I'm sure that happens a lot. Was it really fit for you.   Bruce. "Bargolf" on this site may be able to assist  in getting the right fit so that your"custom" putter actually ends up being something that works for you.  Last I knew he was working with Byron to make this happen

Bruce, Byron I hope that's still the case.

Most importantly, as already has been mentioned.  That name, those initials, your kids dob are going to cost you if you have to sell, for whatever reason.  A $500 custom might get you $300+/- if you have to sell. (Depends on how bad your name is)

If it's what you want go for it.  It's your special putter.  Do your best to make sure everything is right before the order is finished.

One work of advice.  Anything in the cavity is hard to weld over.  A name on the bumper, or neck for a Plumbers neck might cost $30-50 to weld over depending on what else Byron is doing in the refinish.  If it's a special finish, you will also have to pay for the refinish also.  Polished should be relatively inexpensive for the buyer.

Good luck!  Exciting time!  Try not to think too hard about it not being the right putter, but one you'll never sell. Just make sure it's an easy fix for the new buyer.  No one wants "your initials" on the face of their new Byron putter

Contact Bruce for some good advice before buying.  Hope this helped.

Dan

Yes and anytime.
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

dans4fun

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 12:40:57 AM »
 :)

Glad Bruce chimed in.

I'm not a fan of the sound slot on my Byron's.  Probably for the the reasons described above.

The Tai treatment involves softening of all the hard edges.  Works great on not only the DH89 but most of Byron's Anser/Anser 2 style putters.

I have yet to see a "Tai" treated putter that I didn't like.  Puts the "custom" in a custom putter.

Definite must have.

Good luck.

Dan

dans4fun

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 12:51:32 AM »
 :)

Do a search here for Tai Treatment.  Rounded topline, softened edges.  Nice look.

Pure745 is "Tai".

There's a reason his name on this effect.  Check out his Damascus putters if you want something to drool over.

Dan