Author Topic: What is Wrong With Lydia Ko?  (Read 379 times)

tonyj5

• Tony's LPGA Report
What is Wrong With Lydia Ko?
« on: March 08, 2018, 07:54:19 PM »
Lydia Ko has not won in her last 38 starts!

What is wrong with Lydia Ko?

http://www.tonyslpgareport.com/

CourtGolf

Re: What is Wrong With Lydia Ko?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »
Not a word about the two root causes of her "downfall" ?   (1) She was allowed to make decisions about her own game that she wasn't ready to make - and to prove that point, (2) her first decision was to go with David Leadbetter and allow him to turn her gorgeous swing into a billboard for his ridiculous "A-Frame" swing.

When your caddie does most of the on-course shot making decisions, you aren't ready to make decisions about your swing. 

And David Leadbetter - the man who destroyed Michelle Wie's "Big Wiesy" swing ?  Are you KIDDING ??  Her game has struggled since she left Guy Wilson. 

The disgusting thing is that Leadbetter attacked Ko's parents, calling them "meddling".  What nonsense. 

What amazed me was the PGA of America followed his destruction of Ko's game by naming him Teacher of the Year.  Kind of makes you wonder what the PGA is looking at, if anything, past book sales.

By the way - Michelle Wie is still pretty much famous for being famous - Lydia Ko earned her stripes - Wie was handed them by the media.
"Don't do anything well that you don't want to do again." - Bob from "Becker"

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 02:36:48 PM »
Not a word about the two root causes of her "downfall" ?   (1) She was allowed to make decisions about her own game that she wasn't ready to make - and to prove that point, (2) her first decision was to go with David Leadbetter and allow him to turn her gorgeous swing into a billboard for his ridiculous "A-Frame" swing.

When your caddie does most of the on-course shot making decisions, you aren't ready to make decisions about your swing. 

And David Leadbetter - the man who destroyed Michelle Wie's "Big Wiesy" swing ?  Are you KIDDING ??  Her game has struggled since she left Guy Wilson. 

The disgusting thing is that Leadbetter attacked Ko's parents, calling them "meddling".  What nonsense. 

What amazed me was the PGA of America followed his destruction of Ko's game by naming him Teacher of the Year.  Kind of makes you wonder what the PGA is looking at, if anything, past book sales.

By the way - Michelle Wie is still pretty much famous for being famous - Lydia Ko earned her stripes - Wie was handed them by the media.

Yep!!!
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

tonyj5

• Tony's LPGA Report
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »

All excellent points.

Cols_Ears

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 05:12:24 PM »
I’m with you Court. All sounds spot on to me. Leadbetter has destroyed many a great swing, and his reputation is built on the work he did with Faldo, who rebuilt it from the ground up and hit hundreds of thousands of balls to change his swing. Bear in mind the guy could play before he went to Leadbetter, he’d already won an open after all.

From what I have seen and heard from more than one Tour player, Leadbetter teaches one particular method rather than working with what a player already has and improving them. There is a great podcast from Karl Morris (the brain booster podcast - well worth a listen) with him talking to Andrew Coltart (ex Ryder Cup player).

Compare with with more enlightened teachers, like Bruce, who work with a player to improve what they have without a complete rebuild. Far easier for the player and generally requiring less overall work. I know what I’d prefer -I spent years trying to undo the stack and tilt one teacher taught me.
TM M1 430 10.5° with Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.1 Stiff
TM M1 3HL 17° Fuji Pro95 (Stiff)
Adams ProMini 18° Aerotech HLS880 F4
Ping S55 White Dot  4-PW KBS Tour S
SCOR 4161 wedges 49/53/58 KBS Stiff
Tad Moore Hoffman Blade / James Ingles 12g Custom Flow Neck / MannMade MA66 FN

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 05:10:47 AM »
First Tony - thank you for all your contributions on here - very much appreciated.

I agree with all of the above. A CLASSIC case of ‘if it’s not broken ...’

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

tonyj5

• Tony's LPGA Report
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »
Update: Lydia missed the cut this past weekend at the Founders Cup.

http://www.tonyslpgareport.com/2018/03/what-is-wrong-with-lydia-ko.html

ws6

• Is it summer yet?
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 12:05:58 AM »
"I'd rather be dead than work with Lead."