Author Topic: "Get in the bunker!"  (Read 503 times)

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
"Get in the bunker!"
« on: February 26, 2018, 07:34:52 PM »
For more than a decade I have wished to have never heard the first, "Bah-bah booey!' while watching a telecast. I often wondered how welcome it was, as simply the sound of a cell phone camera is enough to annoy most golfers, so how did they really feel about the guys that try to time their yelling to be first, just barely after the ball is struck.

Apparently, Justin Thomas, who among others thinks that the loud crowd has stepped over the line, based on the remarks from him and a few others in the past few weeks. Then in the heat of the final round, an idiot cheering against him yells for the ball to get in the bunker... Thomas stops, points and says, '... yer outta here buddy!'

Is it time to try to police this loud mouth faction in the crowd, to return the game to a place of more respectful viewing?

Does Thomas have a legitimate beef?

Is there a meeting in a back room to try to figure this out before the next weekend?

This seems to be an escalating problem, at least it has become much more visible in the reaction of at least a few of the top golfers, so... weigh in with your thoughts, please. Thanks...

Jimbo 8)
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

CourtGolf

Re: "Get in the bunker!"
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 10:18:26 PM »
There is more to the story than the one comment and you're out version you see on Twitter and keeps getting reported on TV. 

According to Thomas, this clown had been riding both him AND Luke List for a number of holes before Thomas finally had enough and had the guy removed.

None of these guys are going to have someone thrown out for a single comment (within reason, of course).  Even a poorly timed "mashed potatoes" during a swing isn't going to get a player that mad. 

The Tour is going to have to step up security and toss people like this without the players saying something if it is ever going to stop.  Golf is supposed to appeal to a better class of people. :-D
"Don't do anything well that you don't want to do again." - Bob from "Becker"

Jimbobuc21

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 03:04:08 PM »
I came to golf late in life, mid 50's... I played competitive baseball and softball on the open division level. That is above the A class and usually involves lots of sponsorship money and minor league players that still play for the love of the game. Because of that, noise during my swing doesn't seem to be that big of a deal because the focus from those years of ball helped me to block out and concentrate.

Golf is a game that has evolved in church-like silence and so the slightest bit of noise will 'wake the baby', so to speak. When our kiddos were infants we made no big effort to be silent during nap time and they grew to be children that didn't need complete silence to sleep. I think that some of the same degree applies to a game that has always had silence as it tends to breed players that must have it as well.

In spite of those things, the game is what it is and much of the interruption brought about by those fans is more noise (and annoying noise at that) than anything that brings any positive addition to the experience of attending, much less playing the game at this level.

I would like to see some sort of civility returned to the gallery, at least around the tee box... in the name of sportsmanship at least.

Jimbo 8)

Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)

JunkerJorge

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 03:42:11 PM »
The comparisons to loud sports don't really make sense. A loud outburst in a quiet environment is nothing like someone yelling in a chorus of noise during free throws. It's an issue of signal to noise ratio. If someone bursts out with a loud noise in a library it will get your attention where maybe not at a rock concert. It affects the brain differently. In my neuroscience days I spent about  a year doing research looking at gating mechanisms in the brain in response to hearing noises. I'm telling you that it is nearly impossible for someone to block out a sudden noise in a quiet environment. People don't survive very long if they don't pay attention to signals in their environment.

Jimbobuc21

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 07:46:07 PM »
I can certainly agree to that. My point (kinda) was to say that had golf evolved as a loud event there wouldn't be the atmosphere of hush hush that we see, and probably would hear lots worse than now...

But because golf has evolved as it has, isn't there some line drawn in the sand that says, "This and no more."?

To hound a golfer or a group with a steady stream of annoying epitaphs (haven't used that word in a while) just doesn't seem to fit into any form of sportsmanship that I am comfortable with...

Jimbo 8)

Tour Exotics EXi irons

JunkerJorge

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 08:23:57 PM »
I had the opportunity to go to the Masters one time. While I was watching i overhead a gentleman walk up to a young man and say in a kind tone, “hey. It’s saturday. At the masters. You’re sitting on the thirteenth hole. At the masters. And here you are, wearing your hat backwards. What are you thinking?” With a wink. The young patron slooooooowly reached back and turned his hat around with a small blush. Those guys have it figured out.  ;D

Cols_Ears

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 08:15:47 AM »
I have to say from the other side of the pond I (and I think most of the GB golfing population) have never understood the mentality of people yelling random things at players during golf events, I guess it has come across from other sports where yelling is more acceptable. The commentators in the UK always bemoan the "Bababoey / mash potato" guys.

I think we are heading down a slippery slope if the PGA Tour don't stamp on this quickly, unfortunately whilst I like Phoenix and its cauldron of the par 3 - holding this aloft and telling the world how great it is is only going to lead to people believing this is the proper way to behave when attending golf events. Heckling players and opposition teams (as in the last Ryder Cup) is not what I personally want to see in golf. By all means root for the guy or team you are supporting but do not do it by shouting abuse at the other guys. The behavior of he crowd at Hazeltine and the last few PGA Tour event is not the way we want golf to move forward - identify the culprits and throw them out of the property. It shouldn't be left to the players to do this, we need better stewarding and security to step up and police it.

Great Story about the Masters! ;)
TM M1 430 10.5° with Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.1 Stiff
TM M1 3HL 17° Fuji Pro95 (Stiff)
Adams ProMini 18° Aerotech HLS880 F4
Ping S55 White Dot  4-PW KBS Tour S
SCOR 4161 wedges 49/53/58 KBS Stiff
Tad Moore Hoffman Blade / James Ingles 12g Custom Flow Neck / MannMade MA66 FN