Author Topic: Are You an Insert Person?  (Read 1253 times)

cuinthecreek

Are You an Insert Person?
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:34:18 PM »
Who here has a strong preference one way or the other with regard to inserts?  I've never really gamed a putter with an insert for an extended period of time.  I typically prefer firm/clicky feeling putters and perhaps most inserts seem soft to me...not all pf them however.  They can definitely add a unique feel with different materials, grooves, etc.  I want to do some studying on various grooves to see how effective they can be.

How about you?  Do you prefer one way or the other?  One insert vs. another?  One particular groove set vs. another?

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
Re: Are You an Insert Person?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 12:05:16 AM »
Was never a fan of the white Odyssey inserts, but am OK with the earlier black one. Really like the various putters with copper inserts, but mostly have preferred milled faces that are one piece copper, or copper plating over carbon.

Not sue that I can give you a real reason why... just seem to like the way that they sound/feel when in use.

Jimbo
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 12:32:19 AM »
Are You an Insert Person?

Down here we ask politely are you a pitcher or a catcher? ha ha

Seriously, I don't mind so much and agree with basically what Jimbo said. I would say however that my distance control with longer putts seems to be better with just a straight up milled Carbon or Stainless.

I too found the White Odyssey inserts a bit harsh, but not as bad as the Cameron 'Studio Style' which had a GSS insert and was very 'clicky' IMHO. The Cameron 2007 T10 in Black Pearl is a beautiful putter but most agree it has a real 'hot spot' in the insert and makes distance control difficult.

The  best inserts I have played were / are the original 1st Gen. Cameron Tel3's and that includes my Buttonback gamer.

Good thread and will be interested to hear from others.

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 12:58:58 PM »
I always wanted a button back but could not get past the sight line on the flange..... ::)
Xenon X, Element, SRC blade
Mann MA66, Super Sport
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612, B17
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
RJB7784, RJB8143

Oneputt

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »
I always wanted a button back but could not get past the sight line on the flange..... ::)

Half the Button Back's produced were naked Newports, so if you want one without a flange line it is possible.

Oneputt

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 02:27:09 PM »
Who here has a strong preference one way or the other with regard to inserts?  I've never really gamed a putter with an insert for an extended period of time.  I typically prefer firm/clicky feeling putters and perhaps most inserts seem soft to me...not all pf them however.  They can definitely add a unique feel with different materials, grooves, etc.  I want to do some studying on various grooves to see how effective they can be.

How about you?  Do you prefer one way or the other?  One insert vs. another?  One particular groove set vs. another?

I believe putter inserts are more of a factor for marketing and aesthetics than functionality.

cuinthecreek

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 06:28:35 PM »
Oneputt, I think you bring up what could be a popular point.

I am of the belief that they serve both purposes.  Inserts have the ability to change ball speed which can be a game-changer.  They can also change sound, feel, etc.  Most of us probably won't notice a huge difference one way or another.  However I believe at high levels, the difference between groove patters, insert materials, etc. can affect the outcome of a putt.

Oneputt

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 06:43:41 PM »
Oneputt, I think you bring up what could be a popular point.

I am of the belief that they serve both purposes.  Inserts have the ability to change ball speed which can be a game-changer.  They can also change sound, feel, etc.  Most of us probably won't notice a huge difference one way or another.  However I believe at high levels, the difference between groove patters, insert materials, etc. can affect the outcome of a putt.

I've never thought about "ball speed" for putting (or for any other golf shot), but that's just my preference.
I do think inserts are usually marketed as a feature which softens the impact sound. However, one can achieve a soft impact sound by using a softer golf ball and, or, playing with a heavier head putter. And these days the popular thick diameter grips also soften impact sound.
Regarding grooves, I have no knowledge of how groove design might affect the roll of a ball.  In general, my believe is that solid , square, quality contact will get a ball rolling properly.

Aloha B.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 10:41:41 PM »
I'm still using a Mil Spec so no insert for me

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 01:58:03 PM »
I think you need to have a feel for how fast the ball comes off the putter to properly judge distance.

Example - For a few players I know at Web.com level, w have seen players using Odyssey O works putters become much more aggressive in tempo. We think it is the ultra soft feel. Chnagd back to a firmer feel and the tempos numbers went back to normal.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:04:32 PM by bargolf »
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 02:05:51 PM »
Sorry for the typos - trying to type on my phone.
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 09:20:44 PM »
No
Byron Morgan B-17 Secrets Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DaKine Pear Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DH89x Long Pipe GSS
Byron Morgan SS DaKine 8812
Byron Morgan Designed by Captain Morgan, CU SS
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
and a few others

Stage1350

• Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 09:46:43 AM »
If it's a solid metal insert, I'm okay with them.  I've had success with copper inserts in carbon and stainless bodies.  Usually, the best results are more about weighting and tempo.  If those are off, no insert can save you. 

I've yet to find a non-copper insert that I've liked.  I'd still love to try a copper insert in a Damascus body.  I think the consistent softness of the metal would help to remove the hardness that you can get from the mixture of different steels. 
Adams Damascus 8802
Bettinardi 110Cu BB2
Byron DB Captain Morgan Cu 1/4
Cameron 1996/500 Copper Napa
Giannini 1992 handmade 8802
Lajosi Damascus LP-808
Mills 8802 handmade
Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade
Tad Moore Hoffman 8802 Cu
Wilson DB Arnold Palmer
Xenon 8802 copper handmade #388
Yamada Razor Cu

bogie

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 06:18:05 PM »
No, I never use and insert putter. I had a bad experience with the first one I bought one which had hot spots in the face. I prefer metal and the softness can be controlled by the type of face milling.
Corporate Golf is Golf without a soul.

Bettinardi BB2 350 3-Slot
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615
Slighter Ninja XM-19 Putter #1

JelUltra

• Section Moderator
  • Mmmm... Buttery Blades!
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 09:00:53 PM »
Nope.  The Odyssey Stronomic insert cured me of that nonsense.

Tried the white hot, and even though it was a good feel, I couldn't consistently control distance.
Read it, roll it, hole it.

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 09:15:28 PM »
Nope.  The Odyssey Stronomic insert cured me of that nonsense.

Tried the white hot, and even though it was a good feel, I couldn't consistently control distance.
Agree, it is the distance control thing with me.

I took the old 2016 BB8 out on Sunday and never left a putt short (mind you, I don't normally use 350g) and most were tap ins. Maybe it's in my head, but the solid Carbon just seems to give better feedback.

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

nospeedcbr

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 06:58:23 AM »
I am not a fan of the any of the Odyssey inserts, new or old. Just a strange feeling off the putter face.

In my putter rotations I have three non-insert and three insert versions. Limited Betti QB6 (copper), NP2 Button Back (copper), NP2 Studio Style (GSS). Not much beats the Button Back in feel but it certainly has a very distinct sweet spot.
SC: Custom NP2 Button Back
      Custom NP2 Studio Style

Tyson Lamb: Custom Bridgeport

timastyle

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 04:50:21 PM »
Only if it's ivory.   ;D
Byron Morgan:
Byron Morgan GS DH-89 Brushed Stainless with Plow neck (formerly a short pipe high polish blue oil as in my avatar)

Xenon:
Handmade Xenon Damascus Stainless (gamer)

Nead:
On order Albz

johnny5

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 08:47:01 AM »
I am not a fan of the any of the Odyssey inserts, new or old. Just a strange feeling off the putter face.

In my putter rotations I have three non-insert and three insert versions. Limited Betti QB6 (copper), NP2 Button Back (copper), NP2 Studio Style (GSS). Not much beats the Button Back in feel but it certainly has a very distinct sweet spot.
I still use my Pro Platinum over the BB. The feel is fine, the sound is what keeps me going back to the carbon stick after 10 years of owning it. The PP has been around for 17 years, tough to replace her!