Author Topic: B-17 Ala Moana  (Read 637 times)

B-17 Ala Moana
« on: February 06, 2018, 12:43:40 PM »
Ok Byron collectors, I know the B-17 hasn’t been out long enough for there to be a bunch of them out there but I’m looking to get one ordered and haven’t seen that many pictures of them. Have there been very many made? The few I have seen have been exceptional (Mikey and Eddie in particular) lol if any one has more pictures or any opinions on the putter itself I’m just looking for more info. Thanks in advance

Oneputt

Re: B-17 Ala Moana
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 11:26:41 PM »
Thank you Oneputt. Those are all beautiful putters I’d be proud to own! I’m sure being a Byron they play fantastic. I wasn’t clear with my second question and I apologize for that, what I guess I was really asking was why aren’t there more being showcased? Is there any real reason other than personal preference on head shape?

Oneputt

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 02:02:03 PM »
Thank you Oneputt. Those are all beautiful putters I’d be proud to own! I’m sure being a Byron they play fantastic. I wasn’t clear with my second question and I apologize for that, what I guess I was really asking was why aren’t there more being showcased? Is there any real reason other than personal preference on head shape?

For decades now the heel-toe-weighted plumbers neck (DH89, 615, Anser, Newport etc... style head) has been the most popular style putter head design. So, that style head sells in the largest volume numbers and is the most commonly played, photographed etc...
So, I think your comment about the reason being "personal preference" is correct.
Head shapes such as the Bombora, B17, Mills Softails, Laguna-Zing's, heel shafted 8802 style blades, Bullseyes etc...are not as widely used and do not sell in as high a volume as the DH89-615 style heads.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 02:26:19 PM »
That was my assumption but I haven’t paid enough attention to the big picture long enough to know for sure. It seems to me that the B-17 would be a heel toe weighted putter with the cutout in the middle correct? In essence it should perform similar to the 89 from a “mishit” standpoint? And it appears to have a little different mill on the face than my 89 does. I know mine is tuna #4. Do you know why it would be different? And would there be much if any of a difference in feel?

Oneputt

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
That was my assumption but I haven’t paid enough attention to the big picture long enough to know for sure. It seems to me that the B-17 would be a heel toe weighted putter with the cutout in the middle correct? In essence it should perform similar to the 89 from a “mishit” standpoint? And it appears to have a little different mill on the face than my 89 does. I know mine is tuna #4. Do you know why it would be different? And would there be much if any of a difference in feel?

You pose some good questions which I believe Byron or Steve (ZMan) is most qualified to answer. You may find their contact information at http://byronputters.com/
My own process for choosing putter specs, such as head design, amount of offset,  length, lie angle, loft, head material, grip type etc.... is trial and error. Over the years I have read much about putter fittings, stroke types, benefits of one head design compared to another etc..., but for me nothing seems to provide the clarity that does actually being on a putting green and trying, playing the putter.
If you like the looks of the B17 photos, know your preference for putter length and weight, and can financially afford to buy a new putter , I say "go for it" :)

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 03:45:20 PM »
You pose some good questions which I believe Byron or Steve (ZMan) is most qualified to answer. You may find their contact information at http://byronputters.com/
My own process for choosing putter specs, such as head design, amount of offset,  length, lie angle, loft, head material, grip type etc.... is trial and error. Over the years I have read much about putter fittings, stroke types, benefits of one head design compared to another etc..., but for me nothing seems to provide the clarity that does actually being on a putting green and trying, playing the putter.
If you like the looks of the B17 photos, know your preference for putter length and weight, and can financially afford to buy a new putter , I say "go for it" :)
[/quote]

I’m sure my wife would appreciate your “go for it” advice!

Thank you for all your answers! I’d say sometime I’ll have some pictures to share with everyone!