Author Topic: Instruction Advice  (Read 719 times)

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
Instruction Advice
« on: February 04, 2018, 09:16:36 AM »
I was asked by JunkerJorge on another thread what to look for in an instructor.

I am not sure I have an answer, but I do have some suggestions.

1. Find someone who will help you define your stroke or swing sequence. Technology has allowed us to move past paying for generic instruction. Specific help is available.

2. Are you looking for a coach or swing technician? The search for perfect mechanics is beneficial but doesn't always improve scores. It is easy to nit pick and say you don't have a good stroke or swing. Most players don't get what they can out of what they have, so you have to figure out what you need.

3. Make sure the conversation includes finding the right equipment for you and the movement you have defined. Also fitting is more than just equipment specifications. Set make up is just as important.

4. Avoid what I call the Best Way Syndrome. There is a big difference between the best way for you and an instructor's personal preference. ALL  of the arguments you might read on social media are a result of not knowing the difference.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:30:03 AM by bargolf »
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

JunkerJorge

Re: Instruction Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 05:52:14 PM »
Thanks Bruce. Just out of curiosity, what do you think about the viability of online instruction for full swing/game?

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 06:20:02 PM »
I have been teaching online for a number of years. Some full, mostly putting. I have had some success, but I am comfortable with video. My experience with the tech side of the industry has been a big help.

I have never called them lessons. It is more of a consultation. I look for club position and sequence of movement.
Finally I have a system of how I evaluate swings, much like putting.

Finally, the more engaged the student the more success we have. If you want to just hear me talk or read my stuff I don't think it works as well. I use skype if I need.

Simce I can only speak for myself. I enjoy doing it and found it worthwhile,

SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

JunkerJorge

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 10:11:21 PM »
Full swing profiles? I'm intrigued.  ???

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 01:32:01 PM »
Rotary, linear, upright, flat, closed or open. the Profiles I create are known combinations of these factors and others.

For example Mr. Palmer was rotary, flat and closed.
Nicklaus was upright, linear and square.
Hogan was flat, linear, and open.

What one are you?
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 01:34:56 PM »
Before some swing theorist wants to tell me I am wrong, please remember these are my definitions that I understand and can easily explain to my students.

I did the full swing profiles before the putting. I just didn't have the digital capability to do lessons on line at the time.
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

PJ

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 09:59:05 PM »
I’d like to add here that Bruce is greatly under-selling what he has been able to accomplish with online consultation, at least from my experience working with him for putting.  At the time the belly putter was taken from us I was considering giving up the game, as that was my only yip defense that had worked.  I found Bruce at just the right time, and in the last couple of years I’ve learned more about putting, and my stroke than in the previous 50 years combined.  When Bruce says the amount of engagement is up to the student, he means it.  He is all in.  For the first year I probably sent him emails 4-5 days a week, and he would answer each question and refocus me when I was going on a a tangent.  End result, am I a great putter today, or even the best putter I know?  No.  But I am a good putter, and when I feel the yips coming on I have several defenses to deploy during the round.  All in all every moment spent interacting with Bruce, either online or in person is a gift, and very worthwhile.

We’ve never moved on from putting to the full swing.  Maybe one of these days. 

Thank you Bruce.
Scott Readman Concepts hand made, Head Speed shaft

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 02:24:58 PM »
Thanks PJ you are very kind. It has been a rewarding relationship for me to say the least.
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 03:50:03 PM »
Nice PJ... I wish I was closer to some of the 'consultation' than I am, to be sure. I have always been a poor striker of the ball who saves a lot of strokes with above average chipping and putting. I believe I have a handle on why my short game is pretty good, but from day one my putting has been strong, the best part of my game.

I used to play a lot of billiards and often think along the lines of touch, feel, and shape (where you leave yourself after the stroke). Those concepts probably help me more than anything else. Having someone who can watch me putt and understand why it seems so natural to me might be nice, but my nightmare would be to have a fine tuning that ultimately makes me more mechanical and have me think too much over the ball...

... now, if someone can just help me get the 40 years of baseball/softball muscle memory to go away...

Jimbo
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag