Author Topic: Satin Tad Moore fluted Nippon shaft  (Read 709 times)

Bennowick

Satin Tad Moore fluted Nippon shaft
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:07:10 AM »
I have recently acquired two Tad handmade putters. One has a true temper stepped shaft and the other the satin fluted Nippon. I love the fluted Nippon shafts feel and look. Does anyone have any technical insight on why the Nippon fluted shaft performs as well as it does? Love to hear thoughts on the different shafts that Tad has used on putters and which ones his loyalists love most. Thanks.

Geoff

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
Re: Satin Tad Moore fluted Nippon shaft
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 09:14:27 AM »
My favorite Tad set up is either the Danny Edwards original Royal Grip or the one that says TAD on the front and has the cord all the way around. Combine either of those with the fluted shaft and the original PRO 1 head in black melonite and I am happy.

My second favorite is the above mentioned grips with the PRO 1X head in black melonite and double bent shaft.

Jimbo
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

gottaputt

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 04:02:45 PM »
I have recently acquired two Tad handmade putters. One has a true temper stepped shaft and the other the satin fluted Nippon. I love the fluted Nippon shafts feel and look. Does anyone have any technical insight on why the Nippon fluted shaft performs as well as it does? Love to hear thoughts on the different shafts that Tad has used on putters and which ones his loyalists love most. Thanks.

Geoff
Any pictures?

JTeke

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 10:59:55 AM »
I am a HUGE fan of fluted shafts.  I prefer them in every style putter head that I own.  I have one of the Tad fluted satins that you describe and agree with you about the feel.  To me, they feel much softer than step or stepless shafts. 

My favorite shaft for a plumbers neck is the shaft that Scotty put in the Classic 1 heads - they were fluted.  I have rolled a classic 1 with the original fluted shaft next to a classic 1 with a replacement non-fluted shaft and the difference in feel/performance was mind blowing to me. 
One Putt...at a time

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 06:33:56 PM »
I have a bunch of putters with True Temper fluted shafts, mainly early Camerons and the idea is to give more 'feel' apparently. I say apparently because when you get to my age, I am like Roberto Duran - 'Hands of Stone' ha ha.  :)

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 08:01:52 PM »
iirc... one of the desired effects was to limit the amount of twist that the shaft would allow...

Jimbo
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

Bennowick

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 11:53:12 AM »
Sorry for the delay....I will upload pics later today.

Tad

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 11:14:28 PM »
I always felt TT shafts were a little brittle. That’s why the Maxfli Putters I did had frequency matched fluted shafts. I guess someone liked them. Hmmm
The Nippon I felt had gone through a heat treat that made them feel better. I ordered them in satin and I thought they were great.