Author Topic: DH89 Oil Can  (Read 623 times)

Byron Morgan

DH89 Oil Can
« on: January 02, 2018, 04:35:48 PM »
DH89

hailflutie

Re: DH89 Oil Can
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:01:10 PM »
That paintfill just kinda works. Like it.

Chadillac

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 02:23:20 PM »
Very nice! I just can't get over the milling.

TMAC

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 08:54:50 PM »
Very nice Byron.  Don't see a lot in the lighter weights!
I would like one in the 340g range.  Where do you take the weight off to get it down that low?  Cavity thinner?  Do you take it off the face?  Off the sole?
I had a 355g DH89 and loved the feel of it off the face (just too heavy for my taste).  So I'm wondering if the feel off the face would be different if I ordered one in 340g.

timastyle

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 10:28:38 AM »
I would like one in the 340g range.  Where do you take the weight off to get it down that low?  Cavity thinner?  Do you take it off the face?  Off the sole?
I had a 355g DH89 and loved the feel of it off the face (just too heavy for my taste).  So I'm wondering if the feel off the face would be different if I ordered one in 340g.

TMAC - I remember having this conversation from Byron and reading on here as well.  The easiest place to take weight off is the sole, especially if there's a good amount that needs removing.  Otherwise, softening the bumpers, rolling the topline, deep mill face and tour dots will all help in reducing the overall weights as well.  This is what he did to help reduce the weight of mine from 340g to 330g previously. 

If you go new, he has raw heads of varying weights, so he can always start with the lightest one available and trim down to the desired weight.
Byron Morgan:
Byron Morgan GS DH-89 Brushed Stainless with Plow neck (formerly a short pipe high polish blue oil as in my avatar)

Xenon:
Handmade Xenon Damascus Stainless (gamer)

Nead:
On order Albz

TMAC

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »

TMAC - I remember having this conversation from Byron and reading on here as well.  The easiest place to take weight off is the sole, especially if there's a good amount that needs removing.  Otherwise, softening the bumpers, rolling the topline, deep mill face and tour dots will all help in reducing the overall weights as well.  This is what he did to help reduce the weight of mine from 340g to 330g previously. 

If you go new, he has raw heads of varying weights, so he can always start with the lightest one available and trim down to the desired weight.

Appreciate the feedback!
I figured (and was hoping) that the sole would be the best place to slim it down.  I was concerned that the feel would change too much if the weight came out off the face / cavity areas, plus I'm not a fan of deep milling.
I have a 612 at 340g and love it.  Been looking for a 340g DH89 but everything seeems to be 350g+ today.  I was on the heavy(er) head bandwagon for awhile but I just didn't like the way I was stroking the ball with heavier putters.  My distance control was terrible.  I went back to some of my older 330g putters but found they were a little too light.  Decided that 340g is my go-to weight, but they seem to be a rare bird on the used market.  I like my 612, but the DH89/009 is my preferred headshape.

Oneputt

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 02:29:58 PM »

Appreciate the feedback!
I figured (and was hoping) that the sole would be the best place to slim it down.  I was concerned that the feel would change too much if the weight came out off the face / cavity areas, plus I'm not a fan of deep milling.
I have a 612 at 340g and love it.  Been looking for a 340g DH89 but everything seeems to be 350g+ today.  I was on the heavy(er) head bandwagon for awhile but I just didn't like the way I was stroking the ball with heavier putters.  My distance control was terrible.  I went back to some of my older 330g putters but found they were a little too light.  Decided that 340g is my go-to weight, but they seem to be a rare bird on the used market.  I like my 612, but the DH89/009 is my preferred headshape.

As far as I know, Byron only makes soft sounding-feeling putters  :)