Author Topic: Picture upside down Gary Player  (Read 225 times)

Jkgolfpro

Picture upside down Gary Player
« on: September 21, 2017, 02:19:32 AM »
I don't know How to reply my own topic with a picture,
So a new topic!
Jeroen

Jkgolfpro

Re: Picture upside down Gary Player
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 02:46:45 PM »
Anybody out there? I thought this was a rare find!?
Any info would be nice!
Thx

FrankenScotty

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 12:18:10 AM »
Can't really help you out much Jeroen, with your question,

I know that some of both the Scottsdale and Karsten CO Anser's, had the Gary Player signature on them, but how many, as a percentage are inverted, I have no idea. Don't know the total all together either,

To get the brand out there, in the later 60's, the Solheim's got Gary (and other professionals) on board, using the Anser, to make the brand better known, to increase sales. The first place that they exported to was South Africa, probably around 1967, as this quote from John Solheim depicts,

"The first putters that we shipped overseas were to South Africa and my Mother was trying to figure out what we needed to do to ship overseas and she discovered that if you shipped things as gifts there were no taxes so the first two putters went as a gift to South Africa."

And then of course, they used Jack Nicklaus as well, to market the Anser, and other Ping models into Britain under the Slazenger banner. The rest, as they say, is history,

I have only ever seen a Gary Player Cushin in person, it was a beautiful head, had an aura about it, it was on it's way back to Phoenix for a re shaft, this head looked like it had never been in daylight. I felt like slipping it into my pocket, as I walked out of the warehouse!

I hope someone can answer your question. Ping didn't really keep records of what they were doing back then, but you never know. If anyone has the slightest idea, it would be Lumpy!

Anyway, here are a couple of internet pics, cheers Steve.

"You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me"

FrankenScotty

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 12:32:36 AM »
And the Nicklaus version for the UK market,

Jkgolfpro

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 04:38:33 AM »
Thanks a lot! I read that all the stamping was Done in the UK by slazenger, but maybe Rhode first ones were stampend in SA?
The stamping on the picture you’ve posted has the same stamping as mine, that’s A good sign, At least both side up stamping exist!
I hoor Lumpy can shead some light on the matter!
Jeroen

FrankenScotty

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 05:39:40 AM »
All the pictures that I have posted in this thread, are single internet grabs, except for the last two which are top and bottom of the same head (also internet),

I am just trying to show that, who knows what is really out there! As I am fairly sure Ping can't really say,

It is unfair judgement on Lump as well in these cases, as he knows more than the guys at Ping do, through personal experience, but the numbers, years, and any other anecdote featuring a specific Ping putter head from the last fifty years or so are just not there for us all to know exactly, if they were, Lump would know!

The only other person, who has some pure knowledge as well, is Dave from the UK (Wales), he owns putters that Ping probably don't even know that were produced in the Solheim's garage, back in the halcyon days!

Jkgolfpro

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 02:17:01 AM »
Is Mr Lumpy not active anymore on this platform?

FrankenScotty

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 03:36:19 AM »
Lump is pretty busy with his own putter brand,

That being Xenon Putters, amongst other things at the moment,

If he sees your questions and can add some info, I am sure that he will chime in.

Jkgolfpro

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 07:21:47 AM »
Ok thanks