Author Topic: Worked with Bruce last week!  (Read 822 times)

Clemsonfan

Worked with Bruce last week!
« on: September 05, 2017, 06:01:05 AM »
And can affirm that as great as he is online, he is even better in person!  I was fortunate to be in Indianapolis, and asked if we could schedule time at The Fort Golf Resort. I have been an online student since inception and like so many others, Bruce has helped me tremendously over the years.

Since October, my putting has been pretty poor and I developed a flippy right hand. I have shared a few videos with Bruce recently and he has made a few suggestions based on the videos.  Still, my performance was spotty, and I struggled to make anything because I couldn't get the ball to the hole.  Trust me, after suffering with the right hand slam, it is tough to make the ball get to the hole.

In two strokes, Bruce quickly showed me how my stroke differed from my videos, where I made many of my putts, and how I needed to fix it to improve.  He noted how this stroke was a different shape and showed me what I should be doing with his V-Plane Tracer (a great tool, by the way).  It was simple and the lesson could have ended there but we headed to the practice green where we tested the stroke over a variety of distances, slopes and breaks.  Once Bruce showed me the solution, I only recall hitting quality putts on the practice green. 

Since the lesson, I have only had the opportunity to play 9 holes and shot 37 with two birdies in league play-my lowest in a few months.  Most nights, I have only had time to practice with the V-Plane Tracer indoors.

As much as the lesson, I enjoyed our discussion afterwards.   It was a real pleasure to see the original Byron Blades - I imagined they would be in cases lined with crushed black velvet, and for Bruce to show me how the different putter designs were supposed to be used. He showed me an 8802 style putter he often uses because of some customers and we took his Rock Pile to the green.

If you can't tell by now, I had a great time discussing putters, putting and short game strategies.  Bruce has a tremendous amount of knowledge and I could have listened to him talk for hours.  If you work with Bruce online, and have the chance, I highly recommend a visit to The Fort.  Bruce is a great instructor but an even better man.

Jeff

cnosil

Re: Worked with Bruce last week!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:12:54 AM »
Nice write up.  I am still hoping for the day that I am able to make a trip to Indy to see Bruce in person.   

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »
Thanks Jeff. What a treat to finally get to meet you after all these years.
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

Clemsonfan

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 02:42:11 PM »
Bruce,

The feeling is mutual. I wish we could have talked a while longer. I guess that is how these discussion boards are to be used!

Take care,

Jeff

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 05:02:31 PM »
I love posts like these, and I have made some over the years about similar one on one meetings... they humanize the people that we have only met through a common love for golf, and specifically putters.

There is a long list of people that I will likely never get to meet up with, but it is nice to live vicariously through others and their meetings.

Thanks for sharing!
Jimbo  8)
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

Clemsonfan

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 08:50:47 PM »
I love posts like these, and I have made some over the years about similar one on one meetings... they humanize the people that we have only met through a common love for golf, and specifically putters.

There is a long list of people that I will likely never get to meet up with, but it is nice to live vicariously through others and their meetings.

Thanks for sharing!
Jimbo  8)

You are welcome!  That is why I shared it with everyone.  It was a real honor to meet with Bruce, and I didn't want to waste a second when I was there, and he was very generous with his time and expertise.

Jeff

502 to Right

• Aaron Baddeley
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 04:26:23 PM »
One of these years I'll finally pay Bruce a visit.