Author Topic: Help needed on a Putter  (Read 737 times)

nikorami

Help needed on a Putter
« on: December 22, 2017, 11:56:12 AM »
Hello,

Long time reader, this is my first post and I now need help.

I picked up this putter for my first Scotty.  The person said the milling wore off.  However, I am now concerned that it might not be a legit Scotty? :(

So I do have 2 questions:  do you think it is fake/legit?  If it is legit, can milling be added back? 

Thanks

reflog74

Re: Help needed on a Putter
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 04:52:06 PM »
Never heard of milling wearing off, especially uniformly over the entire putter face. Don't follow Cameron, so can't comment on whether the smooth face means counterfeit or not. Someone here should know, though.

The face can be milled/re-milled, but it will remove several grams of weight from the head. It may also make the engraving on the heel too shallow to hold paint fill.

John

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 05:23:10 PM »
I'd echo John's comments and perhaps throw in that it is possible that this putter never had a face mill, or if it was a result of a custom order (or custom shop interaction) perhaps it looks like it has always looked. How well are you acquainted with the person that you got it from? Are they the original owner? I have never know a putter to lose it's face milling from lots of use, while still looking as clean as this one does. It is either unchanged from when new, custom worked at some point, or faux... hopefully for you it isn't a fake.

An additional thought is that it looks like it was 'softened', or 'melted'... both referring to taking the sharp edges off of the head. Looking at some of the pix, I get that general idea that it may have been customized in that way. it looks to be heated to give it a 'flamed' look/patina, and it is possible that any and all of those things can be/were done by someone else. Many things come to mind... and there are very reputable people out there besides the SC custom shop that can really do a nice job on a putter.

Jimbo
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 05:30:07 PM by Jimbobuc21 »
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 06:12:26 PM »
The head itself is real and as far as I know there are not fake Hollywoods out there - yet.

It is however a full 'bumper' job. Everything has been refinished by someone in their garage. The paintfill is obviously inauthentic and it has been really 'dinged' up at some stage and this is the result of trying to refurbish it.

The milling has been taken out and you can see how rounded the bumpers and topline are.

I would say it probably lost at least 20g from the head which is why it has 20g (fake) weights in it instead of the 15g stock they came with.

The original heads were 320g without the weights and 350g with the 15g weights in. I would say at a guess, yours is now about 335 - 340g.

So long as you did not pay a fortune for it and you like the paint job, it is a perfectly good gamer!

Hope this helps.  :)

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

Gava

• Adam Scott - First Aussie To Win The US Masters
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 09:33:19 AM »
Good comments & explanation Rob. I agree but might have missed the 20g weights. Well done mate.

To the OP, are you okay with this even though the seller told you a bit of a porky pie?
I'm a member at The Vines in Western Australia.  Look me up if you are visiting.

nikorami

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »
Good comments & explanation Rob. I agree but might have missed the 20g weights. Well done mate.

To the OP, are you okay with this even though the seller told you a bit of a porky pie?

Yeah...it didn't seem logical that the milling wore off 'perfectly' across the whole face. 

I am upset about the fake weights though.

But overall, it was a very good price based on what I have seen these go for in worse condition.

I will have it tidied up somewhere and make it look nice and then should have a good stick!

Gava

• Adam Scott - First Aussie To Win The US Masters
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 06:12:57 PM »
Good attitude to have.

If you can get a Tom Slighter or similar to give it a tidy up & perhaps customize a little then it could be a real conversation piece in your bag.
I'm a member at The Vines in Western Australia.  Look me up if you are visiting.

JCL

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 08:58:13 PM »
The putter does look like it was worked on after market.  The weights could be original for either a standard weight 33” shaft from the factory or a custom heavy ordered putter.  I haven’t seen too many fake weights of this style.  These were made in 2010 and 20011.  The original finish would have had a circle of a slightly different shade on the bottom of the putter.  I do recall seeing one that someone thought was fake on another website.

John

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 10:02:29 AM »
I agree with those who believe this putter has had aftermarket alterations.  It appears to me someone wanted a putter buffed out smooth at one time.  Aesthetics before function and performance.  To each their own, I guess.  It appears to me that the putter is real but with a fair bit of aftermarket alterations done to it.
Byron Morgan B-17 Secrets Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DaKine Pear Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DH89x Long Pipe GSS
Byron Morgan SS DaKine 8812
Byron Morgan Designed by Captain Morgan, CU SS
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
and a few others

nikorami

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 10:55:51 AM »