Author Topic: Overspin  (Read 644 times)

mds

Overspin
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:27:18 AM »
Bruce, I think you may have addressed this topic before, but is there any significance to the claim of some putter designs that "create overspin at impact?" Thanks for your input.
Xenon Stainless, Twisted, Brass, Copper, Damascus
Byron Morgan Blue Oil, Mixed Metals, Oil Can 612s; 615; 006; 007 Mystic Pearl; DH89 Mini; Dakine Rockpile
Bettinardi 3/4 DASS BB-8; 38 Special
Lajosi Damascus, Torched Sensor
SC CT T10; Napa; TeI Ten; Del Mar BBack
Machine M1A; M2A
Black Lab
Mike

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
Re: Overspin
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 01:02:01 PM »
I'll take a shot at this... I think that what they are really saying if that the amount of skidding from impact is negated by their design, which is largely accomplished by minimizing the loft of the face. They tell you that the ball will get a true roll going sooner, and in a vacuum that is fine. On a putting green that may not be what you want, depending on the condition of the green.

Jimbo  8)
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 01:16:31 PM »
The ball does not spin! It never completes a full rotation before it hits the ground. Forward rotation of the ball is all about friction. The ball hits the ground moving in a certain direction, friction rotates the ball in a similar direction. A ball can rotate in a forward motion and still skid.

When the ball starts to actually roll and not skid with a forward rotation is a function of launch angle and speed off the putter. The lower the launch the more opportunity for friction the sooner the ball begins to roll. If you look at my Facebook page for Burnt Edges you will see me comment on a demonstration one of the OEM's used to market their inserts. They changed the loft of the putter to get the ball to turn over more. The distance it did was insignificant. But he had to manipulate the putter to get it done. So the ad in truth is telling you if you want the ball to roll sooner, just lean the shaft forward and deloft the putter at impact.

And how much manipulation are you willing to add to your stroke to get the ball to roll sooner?

And how does that manipulation affect the things that really matter when you are trying to make a putt?

And just for controversy sake. The sooner the ball rolls the sooner I lose control of the ball. At least when I control the skid I can control when the ball starts to take the break.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:11:46 PM by bargolf »
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

CourtGolf

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 06:57:31 PM »
"lean the shaft forward and deloft the putter at impact" - sounds just like what Michael Breed teaches.  I find his stroke to be pretty awkward feeling - like you're trying to lift the putter across the back of the ball at impact.  Great in theory because it works in tennis...except that you can get below the level of the ball in tennis to impart topspin, and the ball doesn't roll on the ground.

I like how you define your terms - spin and roll are not the same thing. 

I'm not sure, however, about your claim that you can "control the skid" and thereby "control the ball". 
"Don't do anything well that you don't want to do again." - Bob from "Becker"

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 10:15:54 PM »
Court- exactly the point I am trying to make. The effort it takes to make the ball roll sooner makes hitting the ball with the proper speed and direction more difficult if not impossible.

As for my comment about control. You are probably right. But with the new Trackman software we are on the verge of discussions about percentages of skid and roll. The sooner the ball starts to actually roll, the more the influence of gravity so the earlier the ball starts to break. If you can control the skid you can control when the ball starts to break. 

This is out there but for the fun of it I will share this. Tiger used to talk about controlling the break on a putt. He mentioned a couple of times in his career about rolling the ball around a spike mark. IN THEORY you could strike a short putt above the equator and get it to roll immediately and it might break a little more than a putt that is skidding for the first foot of the putt. It would not surprise me at all that Tiger figured that out.

Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56