Author Topic: Blade - Cavity vs No Cavity  (Read 867 times)

robi

Blade - Cavity vs No Cavity
« on: March 12, 2017, 08:41:56 AM »
I really like the look of blade putters.

Do those that have a cavity feel/perform differently than those without or is it more the look?

PJ

Re: Blade - Cavity vs No Cavity
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 05:35:19 PM »
Others may chime in with a different opinion.  My thinking has always been that for putter heads of similar mass and overall design (ie same kind of shaft attachment and position) the main advantage of a cavity back design is they move mass from behind the face to the heel and toe.  This makes the 'sweet spot' slightly wider, and the putter head will remain more stable for off-center hits.  If your stroke control is such that your putts come off the center of the face, I don't think the performance will be significantly different.  If there is some variability in your contact pattern, the cavity back may provide more consistency in distance control and the initial launch angle relative to target line.  I seem to have more 'feel' of the ball impact with a non-cavity head, but that may be just due to my preference.
Scott Readman Concepts hand made, Head Speed shaft

robi

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 08:12:08 PM »
Thanks for the response -  sounds like the same rationale for cavity irons vs blade irons. I still find the classic blade designs from Byron Morgan (Bombora), TP Mills (#1) and others including Lajosi, Lumpy and Lamont to have a great aesthetic quality to them.  Even the new upstart Tyson Lamb has created some great classic looking blade no cavity putters.

Oneputt

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 05:16:55 PM »
This is a blade putter  :)

ajschn06

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 11:55:01 AM »
I feel like if there is a cavity it helps frame the ball better, also would think it would give it a little better MOI