Author Topic: First Byron is on the way!  (Read 728 times)

towncryer

First Byron is on the way!
« on: January 05, 2017, 04:23:01 PM »
I was very excited to wake up to an invoice for the remaining balance on my DH89 this morning!

DH89 in Stainless
Glass Blast
Site Dot
340g Head
69* lie, 4* loft
35"
BYRON MORGAN vertical stamped on face heel
Three "dancing" tunas in the cavity
Standard Tuna 4 milling

I'm jumping out my skin with excitement, even though it will be a good six to eight weeks before I can play outside in Nebraska. I've been mulling over ordering a Byron for the better part of two years and decided that it had to happen.

Pictures as soon as it arrives :) :) :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 04:24:43 PM by towncryer »

phicar2

Re: First Byron is on the way!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 06:40:08 PM »
very cool!  I'm actually in the same boat, paid the remainder of my invoice a few days ago and can't wait!  But I'm in Texas so plan on playing this weekend :)

towncryer

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 08:04:53 PM »
very cool!  I'm actually in the same boat, paid the remainder of my invoice a few days ago and can't wait!  But I'm in Texas so plan on playing this weekend :)

Well...I'm jealous as all get out that you'll be sinking putts with your putter while I'm rolling it on an indoor strip over and over and...

What'd you get?

phicar2

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 09:08:22 PM »

Well...I'm jealous as all get out that you'll be sinking putts with your putter while I'm rolling it on an indoor strip over and over and...

What'd you get?

very similar setup actually!  DH89 glass blast GSS 340g deep milled at 35"with Byron & Co. on face and cavity with a few custom letters stamped as well.  will post pics when I get my beauty...hopefully tomorrow!

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 10:56:01 PM »
Congratulations!  You'll love the DH89.  Byron creates as good a putter that anyone could ever putt with.  I have several and love them all.  Happy waiting .... hopefully not a long wait.
Byron Morgan DaKine Pear Long Pipe CU plated
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe CU plated
Byron Morgan DH89x GSS
Byron Morgan SS DaKine 8812
Byron Morgan Designed by Captain Morgan, CU SS
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
and a handful of others

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 04:40:15 AM »
You boys will have no regrets I promise you. I recently jumped in wth 3 beautiful Byrons - a 23 of 25 DBCM, a 1 of 4 hand made and a gorgeous custom made DH89 in Mystic Pearl that rolls it as good as anything I have used.

Please post us some photos when the stork arrives!😃

Kind regards,
Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

eddiea54

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 06:16:18 AM »
Alright! Congrats!
ea.byronputters@gmail.com

www.byronputters.com

The Roll Abides

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 05:55:39 PM »
Congratulations!
As Tom Petty said, "the waiting is the hardest part"
RC
Xenon X, AlBz and Karbon Elements
Lajosi KLP7 flow, SS Sensor, DD201WB
SSB Masonboro flow, BL-2 Bushmaster, BL-1
Bombora in betweens SSDW, CU006
Carbon Heritage, Softail

phicar2

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »
Got her last night.  Nice and simple, nothing flashy.  But wow does she feel perfect.  Can't wait to get her on the course tomorrow...

towncryer

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 10:03:54 AM »
Got her last night.  Nice and simple, nothing flashy.  But wow does she feel perfect.  Can't wait to get her on the course tomorrow...

Looking good! Great putter!

Rob McHugh

• Rob McHugh
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 02:55:09 PM »
Congratulations! She look all business, make lots of birdies!  :)

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

phicar2

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 04:52:09 PM »
Thanks boys.  Feels really, really great.  I have no idea if GSS is really any different from regular SS but the golf addict wants what the golf addict wants...

towncryer

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
Starting to get really excited now...I got a notification from UPS My Choice that a package is on its way to me. I looked at the details, it's from Huntington Beach, CA and weights 2.7 pounds. :) :) :)

playmaker

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 04:11:45 PM »
Congrats!

towncryer

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 07:05:45 PM »
Well...I'm a very happy guy today!

Visually, it's exactly what I was looking for. Minimal stamping, all business gamer. I love the tuna stamp and always knew that if I ever ordered a Byron, it would be simple and have a tuna theme. The finish great, the milling is great...it's a clean, simple, bad-a$$ putter.

The feel...THE FEEL! It's perfect. The stainless a perfect blend of soft and responsive. I really do not like deep milled heads because I think they are too muted...this putter with a Pro V1x creates a sound I'm really very happy with. That's a big deal to me...gotta love the sound.

I did put 340g on my order form, but I believe the head to be 350g. I measured total weight and the club is 12-13 grams heavier than my current gamer (which I've pulled the head from and weighed at 343g). So this head could be as heavy as 355g (assuming the shafts are identical in weight...I have the same grip on both putters, so that should not be more than a gram or two of difference.) But really...I've hit a good number of putts this evening already with this putter against mine, and I'm A-OK with it just like it is.

Well...I'm going to go putt some more with it now! Thanks Byron and Steve for helping me out! I'm just gaga over this flatstick!

towncryer

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 07:35:12 PM »
One more thing as I think of it...

Ordering this putter was great learning experience. My only regret is NOT looking at Putter Talk more extensively before ordering my putter. I had no idea of the different options, millings, etc... when I placed my order. With that said, I don't think I'd do anything differently for my first putter (except maybe a polished sole...maybe the one thing I wished I had thought of), but I know the next time I order one, I'll have more ideas and inspirations.

playmaker

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 07:57:09 PM »
i had the same thought after getting my byron. i didnt quite do my homework  ;D

dans4fun

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 11:14:01 PM »
 :)

I'm not sure you can ever do enough homework.

Putter turned out great, enjoy it.

Bad news, advanced forecast shows the groundhog seeing his shadow!  Yikes!

You'll be happy with your decision.  Byron does a real nice job on putters!

Triple Polish!   Polished sole, face and bumpers.  Now there's an option.

Dan

Googlewhack

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 02:18:41 AM »
I've always preferred a deeper face milling than you have there but good luck

Ngjg21

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 08:31:17 AM »
I've gone back and forth on milling preferences, but the standard milling offered now on 89s (and 615s, I believe) is awesome. Congrats, OP!
PING S55 3-PW
Glide 50*
Glide 54*
Glide 58*
Ping G25 9.5*
TEE X-Rail 16.5*
Bobby Grace F22 CS
Byron Morgan 615 (incoming)

DaveB00T

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 08:58:09 AM »
Towncryer,
Congrats on the new pick up. So many options, it's easier add after the fact than take it away. I am sure if you contact Byron or Steve, you can get the sole polished. It's also fun to leave some of it in Byron's hands to do as he pleases, I was floored at how nice my custom came out last year.

Dave
The course options:
Byron Morgan - Blacks Beach DH89
Byron Morgan - Designed by Captain Morgan #13/25
Byron Morgan - Bombora 8)
Byron Morgan - Damascus Stainless Steel DH89
Scotty Cameron - CS NP Beach, TeI3 NPII gen2, CLN

towncryer

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
So...just an update. I put the putter on a swing weight scale and the putter came to E4...seven points higher than my ideal. Anything E0 and up is out of my comfort zone. My current every day putter is 35", around 340g, has the same shaft and grip as the DH89, and swingweights at D7. It's not THAT big of a deal...but the idea of getting this DH89 was to have a handstamped stainless putter that spec'd out to about the same as my hand stamped carbon putter so I could bounce between them without having to adjust how I putt. So...hesitantly, I e-mailed Steve to see if there's any way to get the weight down.

I e-mailed Steve, who promptly replied and said he'd consult with Byron. I heard back from Steve yesterday and he said to send it back and they'll make it right.

The point of this update is to commend Byron and Steve for their commitment to a truly optimal experience in ordering a custom putter. At no point did Steve suggest that maybe I weighed it wrong, or maybe my other putter is way under 340g, or anything else in that vein.

This won't be my last order from Byron Golf Design...and I'm going to try to convince everyone I play with that they should check it out.

mbrown1833

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 01:12:43 PM »
So...just an update. I put the putter on a swing weight scale and the putter came to E4...seven points higher than my ideal. Anything E0 and up is out of my comfort zone. My current every day putter is 35", around 340g, has the same shaft and grip as the DH89, and swingweights at D7. It's not THAT big of a deal...but the idea of getting this DH89 was to have a handstamped stainless putter that spec'd out to about the same as my hand stamped carbon putter so I could bounce between them without having to adjust how I putt. So...hesitantly, I e-mailed Steve to see if there's any way to get the weight down.

I e-mailed Steve, who promptly replied and said he'd consult with Byron. I heard back from Steve yesterday and he said to send it back and they'll make it right.

The point of this update is to commend Byron and Steve for their commitment to a truly optimal experience in ordering a custom putter. At no point did Steve suggest that maybe I weighed it wrong, or maybe my other putter is way under 340g, or anything else in that vein.

This won't be my last order from Byron Golf Design...and I'm going to try to convince everyone I play with that they should check it out.

Good luck!  Sounds like a good experience thus far besides the obvious.

phicar2

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 04:02:10 PM »

great customer service - a rare thing of beauty!  bravo!

DaveB00T

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 08:41:29 PM »
Sounds good. Don't forget to ask Byron to polish the sole.
The course options:
Byron Morgan - Blacks Beach DH89
Byron Morgan - Designed by Captain Morgan #13/25
Byron Morgan - Bombora 8)
Byron Morgan - Damascus Stainless Steel DH89
Scotty Cameron - CS NP Beach, TeI3 NPII gen2, CLN

towncryer

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 10:05:10 PM »
Sounds good. Don't forget to ask Byron to polish the sole.

Good call. I will remember to do so.

Rob McHugh

• Rob McHugh
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 06:43:14 AM »
Sounds like she will finish up perfect!

Beautiful stick.  :)

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

playmaker