Author Topic: Yips - Yikes!  (Read 1052 times)

Clemsonfan

Yips - Yikes!
« on: October 16, 2016, 12:03:58 PM »
I have been using a Sizemore Gene Nead Handmade for more than 5 years - 67* lie, 4* loft and 34.5" long.  For the past few years I have used a Superstroke 2.0 Mid with good results for my 5.5-7.2 handicap game.  Except for Thursday Night leagues, I haven't played much but I have been playing well with a low six-round average of 37.2 strokes for a few weeks.

About 5 weeks ago I noticed how far right (closed) my putter grip had become and decided to replace it.  Rather than go back to my trusty Superstroke, I replaced it with a Rosemark Thorn 1.25.  I loved the feel, and putted great in practice.  In my next 27 holes, I had 10 3-putts or more!  I removed the Rosemark, and used the Superstroke Mid 2.0 again, but I now have the yips.  I missed 4 putts inside 3' feet in a two-man best ball tournament on Friday. 

I putt great in practice, really better than I have ever done.  Putting for score is a different matter. 

I searched old threads and saw two primary causes - choking, and using the wrong putter for your stroke.  I can't believe it is the later since I have used this putter for years. 

If it is choking, what would cause me to start?

Thanks,
Jeff

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
Re: Yips - Yikes!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 01:24:11 PM »
Jeff.

You also have consider going from a grip closed to one that is square. had to change how you release the putter.

Bruce
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

Clemsonfan

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 03:12:24 PM »
Jeff.

You also have consider going from a grip closed to one that is square. had to change how you release the putter.

Bruce

I had considered that, Bruce, but hoped it would be a small Adjustment period- and not a major change.  I hope to visit the practice green later today.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jeff
Jeff

PJ

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 10:28:03 PM »
When you miss these 3 footers, what happens?  What does the stroke feel like?  What is the roll like in terms of the resultant line vs intended line and distance the ball rolls out?
Scott Readman Concepts hand made, Head Speed shaft

Clemsonfan

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 10:38:04 PM »
When I hit it long, the right hand takes over and slams the ball well past the hole.  Usually on the right side.

When I miss short on long putts, it is a subtle jab that starts online, and misses the target by 15'-20' or more.
Jeff

PJ

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 12:12:44 AM »
That's not what I know as yips.  I agree with Bruce, your hands are searching for the new motion pattern to square up the face.  In essence, you've changed the putter design for your stroke and it has to rotate more now to get the face square.

Since the face is pointing a bit right now for the same hand position (compared to when the grip had the face closed) you might try adjusting your stance slightly to open the shoulders a little.  Then your motion pattern could be more similar to before your grip change and still square the face.  Or, rotate the grip right to the closed position you had before.  Better yet, change to a completely round grip with no flat for the hands to 'aim'.

Do you ever practice with eyes closed?  I've found it can smooth out my stroke when the eyes aren't feeding back to the hands, and I am only feeling the transition point and then the flow into impact.  It doesn't take much of that to establish a better timing to impact.

PJ

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 01:37:21 AM »
I meant to mention a focus on your routine can help shake a putting funk.  What has helped me is making the routine as short as practical, and repeating it each time EXACTLY, down to when to breathe in and out and the total elapsed time from my last look from behind the ball until the trigger is pulled.  The routine provides great comfort and reduces the possibility of standing over the ball thinking about stroke mechanics (vs just the roll of the ball you intend to see).

Will Par

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 10:23:41 AM »
This is based on my experience, so take it for what it is worth.  I had a similar situation once... I went from grips that were on square, to grips installed slightly open.  Immediately, my putting went sour.  It took me a couple of months before I realized my putter grip wasn't square.  I squared it up and my putting improved immediately.

I analyzed that I instinctively needed to have my hands positioned a certain way at impact. My hands wanted to return to that position regardless of how the grip was aligned.  It didn't matter how I aimed the putter at address, my hands "knew" where they wanted to be at impact.  The misaligned grip meant that I had a conflict between where my hands wanted to be and where they needed to be at impact with the different grip alignment.   

Two months into my putting slump my hands still had not learned a new position.  Apparently a change of just two or three degrees is huge in putting.  Our feel is so fine tuned that just a little variation is enough to cause difficulties.  I'm of the opinion that the only way to learn a new position at impact is to completely change the stroking method and learn new from scratch.  Otherwise, the brain circuit that tells the hands what to do will always be there.  I don't believe it can be unlearned.

I'll always remember hearing a touring pro long ago advising never to change your putter grip.  He did and found that his putter never felt the same again.  In your situation, I'm wondering if it would be better to put that grip back on in a closed position.  The challenge would be getting it aligned precisely the same as it was.  Good Luck with whatever you do. 
You have to be realistic about putting, and accept the fact that you're probably never going to putt as well as you think you ought to.  --Jack Nicklaus

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 11:10:46 AM »
Will Par - exactly. And also why I like round grips.
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

Clemsonfan

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 12:46:34 PM »
That's not what I know as yips.  I agree with Bruce, your hands are searching for the new motion pattern to square up the face.  In essence, you've changed the putter design for your stroke and it has to rotate more now to get the face square.

Since the face is pointing a bit right now for the same hand position (compared to when the grip had the face closed) you might try adjusting your stance slightly to open the shoulders a little.  Then your motion pattern could be more similar to before your grip change and still square the face.  Or, rotate the grip right to the closed position you had before.  Better yet, change to a completely round grip with no flat for the hands to 'aim'.

Do you ever practice with eyes closed?  I've found it can smooth out my stroke when the eyes aren't feeding back to the hands, and I am only feeling the transition point and then the flow into impact.  It doesn't take much of that to establish a better timing to impact.

I have tried round iron grips several times by building up under the right hand but never achieved any proficiency.  I went to the Superstroke 2.0 which is predominantly round and immediately felt comfortable. That was several years ago.

I often try putting with my eyes closed, usually indoors.  My stroke isn't great, but it is pretty solid.  I usually putt over a dime or penny with different backswing lengths.
Jeff

Clemsonfan

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 12:51:44 PM »
I meant to mention a focus on your routine can help shake a putting funk.  What has helped me is making the routine as short as practical, and repeating it each time EXACTLY, down to when to breathe in and out and the total elapsed time from my last look from behind the ball until the trigger is pulled.  The routine provides great comfort and reduces the possibility of standing over the ball thinking about stroke mechanics (vs just the roll of the ball you intend to see).

Bruce and I discussed this several years ago.  I am an inside -out swinger with low rotation and I usually swing my right arm a few times behind the ball for feel to start the routine.  Then I step in to my stance to the side and putt away.  My routine is very brief, but the same, at least most of the time.

Many thanks for the suggestions!
Jeff

Clemsonfan

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »
Will Par,

I replaced the new grip pretty quickly, but it is turned just a fraction closed.  My first round back was miserable.

In practice I am very good.  I frequently do a drill suggested by Mark Broadie in his book in which you putt from 9'-11' from different Aimpoint angles, and moving to a different hole each time.  Before my last round, I made 6/9- by far the most I have ever made.  Putted completely different during the round.

If I knew of a round grip that felt good- like the Superstroke, I would use it.  Right now, I am practicing with a Bullseye that has a leather grip and it feels good, but the weight is very different from my putter.

Thanks for sharing your story. Putting this badly, while striking the ball well, has been frustrating.

Jeff

PJ

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 01:51:24 PM »
"Bruce and I discussed this several years ago.  I am an inside -out swinger with low rotation and I usually swing my right arm a few times behind the ball for feel to start the routine."

I was thinking the plane of your stroke might be tilted to the right (inside-out) which would match up with a closed-installed grip.  With the change to the face pointing more right vs where you were you'd need to rotate it more to get back to square (at which point your hands would be more closed than with your old grip).

I think you have simply lost confidence.  It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when you leave the practice green and anticipate issues.  Then the first sign of trouble is reinforcement of the bad thoughts/expectations.  Been there/done that.  Easier said than done, but you have to get your expectations back to when you were putting well, and have a post-shot routine where you can banish any thinking about the bad ones.  Sometimes this is easier with a totally new concept (like Will Par says a new method - Bruce calls it changing the task).  Could be a grip change (left hand low or claw) or a stance change.  For me it was going to the claw.

Grip one non-tapered are pretty cheap grips but have reasonable feel if you can get used to a wrap for putting.  I used them for a couple of years.  And you can get them oversized which would be more like your mid diameter.  They are completely cylindrical, so if your shaft has a slight taper under the grip portion you can build up under the right hand with tape to cancel that out.  I found these better than trying to adapt a "normal" tapered playing club grip.  Since I went to the claw full-time, I've migrated to SS slim 1.0, but install it with the flat parallel to the face.  The flat is under the left palm and makes it easy to find my position with the left hand, and I extend the left index down the flat.  This maintains the round feel for the right hand and I don't tend to steer it.

Good luck!

Clemsonfan

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 10:09:48 PM »
That is great that you have found something that worked.  I have often wondered about turning the SS grip towards the target to help with what you described.

My hope is the work I have put in this week will help soon.  I am playing in a tournament tomorrow!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:11:35 PM by Clemsonfan »
Jeff