Author Topic: Old school gripping techniques, Runyun, Nicklaus, Burke  (Read 633 times)

benjatt

Old school gripping techniques, Runyun, Nicklaus, Burke
« on: October 14, 2016, 12:40:41 PM »
It seems to me that some of the older famous putters had funky gripping techniques that make a lot more sense (for the sort of greens that I put on anyway) that the modern funky putting grip techniques.

In particular I really like the grip of Paul Runyun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZ_GdIYaJU_), Nicklaus, Burke and the newer dynalign technique. In common (except Burke) they all seem to restrict the breakdown of the wrist and I like this idea.

What does the best putting site think about these venerable putting grip styles?

Does anyone have any experience of these techniques and what sort of putting path / putter / putter grip they would suit?
Bettinardi skins game

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
Re: Old school gripping techniques, Runyun, Nicklaus, Burke
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 07:05:57 AM »
Will check it out and let you know. :)

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

JelUltra

• Section Moderator
  • Mmmm... Buttery Blades!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 08:32:21 AM »
Thanks for sharing the video!

A few things that really surprised me:

-Paul advocated an arms only stroke
-He didn't care about putting the thumbs straight down the putter grip/shaft
-He talked about holding the putter firmer to keep the wrists out of the stroke
-He used the same grip/elbow/arms only technique for chipping
-He would chip with a 3 iron!
-He said proper speed was for the ball to be 6-12" past the hole

I gave his putting technique a whirl last night, and boy did it feel awkward at first.  But the putter head definitely swung more like a pendulum with the arms.

Even at his age in the video, his distance control was incredible, and he rolled in 6-8 footers like they were tap-ins.

Read it, roll it, hole it.

benjatt

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 12:17:51 PM »
It's quite a spectacular stroke. I read that Hogan joked to him that he was sure it would work better but it just looked too awkward!

I've tried it a little for chipping to and it's a surprisingly consistent ball strike.

Pre-setting the anatomy of the wrist, especially for putting is very attractive to me. I can't quite decide between this (where both wrists are supinated) and the dynalign method (where the lead arm is supinated and the trail arm is pronated). But I'm going to commit for a month or two and see where it gets me.

Bettinardi skins game

dlam

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing the video!

A few things that really surprised me:

-Paul advocated an arms only stroke
-He didn't care about putting the thumbs straight down the putter grip/shaft
-He talked about holding the putter firmer to keep the wrists out of the stroke
-He used the same grip/elbow/arms only technique for chipping
-He would chip with a 3 iron!
-He said proper speed was for the ball to be 6-12" past the hole

I gave his putting technique a whirl last night, and boy did it feel awkward at first.  But the putter head definitely swung more like a pendulum with the arms.

Even at his age in the video, his distance control was incredible, and he rolled in 6-8 footers like they were tap-ins.

I like the proper speed is 6-12 inch past the hole

But I like having my left thumb straight down the flat top part of the grip and I tend to have more confidence when my left hand controls the stroke. My right is helping out.

benjatt

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 07:34:15 PM »
So I putted with the Paul Runyun grip but my lag putting wasn't any better so I gave the dynalign setup a go. So I far I'm really getting into this:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjmlgSGSqSIz2qlSD7geAXsr7flp4BUjE

It's quite awkward to start with but you really can't close the putter face relative to the path. That is quite a nice feeling. I'm going with this over the winter but I had one question for you.

Which grip / putter do you think would suit this sort of method? I've used a non-taper round grip for few years (Bruce's advice) and will probably stick with that but it's not too easy to get the face aligned to the hands every time and I wonder if a grip with a flat front would help that?
Bettinardi skins game